Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bwh3m
Very disappointed . . . champagne is half the reason for going to breakfast
It never was Champagne proper.

I asked today and sparkling wine is still available, but you have ask for it.

The reason given was that they can keep it cool better that way. I bet the effect that they probably use much less of it has nothing to do with it...

In the first three days, we had to ask for stuff at the Atoll breakfast buffet constantly. Milk, chocolate milk, glasses, plates, fruit...

Yes, they do refill it when pointed out or offer to bring it to your table, but what's the point of having a buffet, then?

Looks to me like they haven't figured out the logistics of the "new design" quite yet, although I still don't see what's so different about the "new design".

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by goliath
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Ditto.....especially the chocolate fondant. Really weird how all these 'improvements', aka 'changes' are making the buffet worse. Oh, did I mention the chocolate fondant.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Oct 6, 2017 at 4:14 am
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:50 am

I asked today and sparkling wine is still available, but you have ask for it.

The reason given was that they can keep it cool better that way. I bet the effect that they probably use much less of it has nothing to do with it...
When they take something away they are 99% likely to be trying to save $ by not offering it, at least not openly. After thinking about it, it may be that it's being drunk by the crateload and whoever's scoffing it isn't able, due to a language barrier, to ask for it. Think big land and think what happened at Mandhoo with the Afternoon Tea offerings and then the changes there to make it available to elites and returning guests only. That would certainly keep costs down. Either that or there's a shortage / problem with transportation or delivery but they probably would have told you that if it was the case.

In the first three days, we had to ask for stuff at the Atoll breakfast buffet constantly. Milk, chocolate milk, glasses, plates, fruit...

Yes, they do refill it when pointed out or offer to bring it to your table, but what's the point of having a buffet, then?
That's just plain crazy having to ask for basic items. Did you notice a reduction in the number of staff? Either wait staff or cooks in the main area? Maybe they had some kind of mass resignation in the kitchen.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Think big land and think what happened at Mandhoo with the Afternoon Tea offerings and then the changes there to make it available to elites and returning guests only.
Are you saying PFTPOTW have ruined these things? Is sparkling wine overindulgence the new selfie stick?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
You mean Rangalifinolhu Island, right? Any chance you could take a pic and post it here?
Yes, Rangalifinolhu, of course. I will post pictures later on.

Think big land and think what happened at Mandhoo with the Afternoon Tea offerings and then the changes there to make it available to elites and returning guests only.
I must have missed this discussion. But what I did notice is a drastic reduction of guests at afternoon tea - probably 25% of the tables occupied at any time when during our last visits you had to arrive quite early to get a good table. Also, happy hours at Vilu had about half the crowd we were used to from previous visits.

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Are you saying PFTPOTW have ruined these things? Is sparkling wine overindulgence the new selfie stick?
Speaking of selfie sticks: another guest I met at the pool today tried to introduce me to the benefits of a selfie stick - as if I had never seen one or known what it was used for... When I told him that I see them in our part of the world, too, but that I'd rather take pictures of the beautiful scenery than of myself, he could not seem to grasp the concept...

a nice fella, otherwise, though
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:54 am

Are you saying PFTPOTW have ruined these things?
Could well be. Wouldn't be the first time it's happened at Rangali.

And jonjparr,
Originally Posted by jonjparr, Feb 12, 14
Are you going to do another video?
Most definitely but it won't be at the O&O Reethi Rah. Since I posted my last message my wife and I had another talk, looked at the beaches, the size of the resort and decided that it was too glitzy / artificial and big for us. So we decided to swap to Huvafen Fushi. As we did water villas last time we've opted for a Deluxe Beach Bungalow instead.

Looking forward to it already and I'll definitely post the video here once it's done so you can see what it's like.
Did you end up going to Huvafen Fushi?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:26 pm

I must have missed this discussion. But what I did notice is a drastic reduction of guests at afternoon tea - probably 25% of the tables occupied at any time when during our last visits you had to arrive quite early to get a good table. Also, happy hours at Vilu had about half the crowd we were used to from previous visits.
Yes. Basically, when Afternoon Tea was for everyone, the mainlanders were piling the food onto their plates so high that there was nothing left by 4:20, so they then stopped providing sandwiches / rolls and cakes and it was just down to a simple selection of cookies / biscuits and tea for about 6 months, give or take. People complained and so they changed the rules and that got rid of them and Afternoon Tea returned to the generous offering it was originally. That's why it's nearly empty and there's still plenty to eat even if you arrive at a quarter to five.
And as for drinks at Vilu Bar, when they stopped letting everybody who was staying on Rangali Island in, the numbers dropped considerably.

Speaking of selfie sticks: another guest I met at the pool today tried to introduce me to the benefits of a selfie stick - as if I had never seen one or known what it was used for... When I told him that I see them in our part of the world, too, but that I'd rather take pictures of the beautiful scenery than of myself, he could not seem to grasp the concept...
Hmmm.....the concept of oneself being more beautiful (and important) than nature itself, eh. I heard the human race is in a state of devolution. Maybe there is some truth to that statement after all.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 3:04 pm

I've seen some mentions of sailing being part of the complimentary watersports on offer. Does anyone have any details on what sort of boats they have and the conditions, etc? Thanks!
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:25 am

You'd best ask @sailanacra for that info. I think he watches this thread so will probably reply shortly. I know they have topcats but can't be of much more help.

Edit. I see he hasn't been online since April so maybe someone else can chip in?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Sailing

They have 2 small catamarans with 2 sails, I think it is the Hobie Cat Wave. They are free of charge, at your first time you have to go with one of the staff of the watersports center, to show that you are able to sail the boat.
For beginners it is quiet nice, you can also book a 1 or 2 hour lesson.
If you are an advanced sailor, it might be a bit boring, as you are restricted to the area between the 2 bridges. So no sailing around the island.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer ∙ Hilton Diamond
Yes! But meant for the few who didn't get the memo.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:35 am

No news there...

Isn't that what most uf us do?
And you add up the seaplane and other costs, even with points redemption, it is still expensive IMHO.

Just wanted to add a DP for our upgrade. Below is our original offer, we are going to stay during high season (Thanksgiving):

Beach Villa to Water Villa - USD175+ taxes per night
Beach Villa to Superior Water Villa - USD245+ taxes per night
Beach Villa to Retreat Water Villa - USD385+ taxes per night
Beach Villa to Deluxe Water Villa - USD700+ taxes per night
Beach Villa to Premier Water Villa - USD980+ taxes per night
Beach Villa to Junior Beach Suite - USD1,260+ taxes per night
Beach Villa to Sunset Water Villa - USD2,520+ taxes per night

This was an offer provided in September, I waited for a month and requested politely to upgrade our BV to WV for $100++ per night (total $123.20 per night), to my surprise, I received a yes immediately.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by nattino
And you add up the seaplane and other costs, even with points redemption, it is still expensive IMHO.

Just wanted to add a DP for our upgrade. Below is our original offer, we are going to stay during high season (Thanksgiving):

This was an offer provided in September, I waited for a month and requested politely to upgrade our BV to WV for $100++ per night (total $123.20 per night), to my surprise, I received a yes immediately.
Wow, sounds like you manage to 'bargain' a good deal. Good MO. Did you upgrade for the entire stay tho? (ie. many days, so perhaps that's why they are more inclined to accept the lower offer from you)
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by nattino

Thanks for the rates. Will add to the wiki if necessary. What are the dates you are staying?

Do you have a relationship with this blog?
I thought that was obvious.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:59 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Slowly but surely... the next part of my trip report is up.
Getting slightly more esoteric with this segment, I hope you all enjoy it nonetheless:

A comparison of The Main Island and the Quiet Island at the Conrad Maldives

For me personally the Quiet Island comes far closer to embodying the spirit of a Maldivian holiday. Whilst I appreciate that there are plenty of large facilities on the main island that people enjoy, I consider everything outside of the overwater area and the house reef as a 'necessary evil'.

I can't imagine that I'm the only person that feels this way...

Last edited by Jermyn; Oct 10, 2017 at 1:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.