Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Tokyo {JPN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Tokyo {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Looking to stay here soon for a week, will they have any issues w/ me booking a room for one, and showing up with 1 or 2 other guests? I'm a diamond, if that matters. Adding 1 or 2 guests is $50-$100 USd night for me, and I don't know if they are joining yet.

I'd save even more money if I split up the reservation, since I noticed Hilton will charge you the highest room rate for every night rather than an average room rate, which is really annoying (though I plan on using the citi prestige benefit so probably won't be able to). Might just spend 4 nights here and then the rest at hilton tokyo.

I find it silly that if I book as 1 adult, and split up my reservation, I could save up to 250 a night for the first few nights, versus booking as 3 and keeping my reservation.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
I'd save even more money if I split up the reservation, since I noticed Hilton will charge you the highest room rate for every night rather than an average room rate, which is really annoying (though I plan on using the citi prestige benefit so probably won't be able to). Might just spend 4 nights here and then the rest at hilton tokyo.
Hilton Odaiba is more convenient. Just a two minute walk from the Yurikamome Line from both hotels.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by abaheti
Alcohol only available during the happy hour, and while you can serve yourself, it seems like they really prefer to do it for you, especially for cocktails/booze vs wine/champagne. They have bottle of liquor sitting out, but when you ask for a drink they go in back and mix it for you and bring it out, or bring out a glass with mixer and then pour the liquor in until you say stop. I found myself refilling my wine, but asking for the next drink. They do try to periodically wander around with wine bottles and top people off.
Thanks for the helpful and detailed info, but I think you missed the "spirit" of my post.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Thanks for the helpful and detailed info, but I think you missed the "spirit" of my post.
:-) I'd blame reading your post on my phone, but I didn't read it on my phone so can't use that excuse.... moving fast and read it as an actual question. But, hey, maybe someone will find the info helpful anyway! :-)
Old Jul 10, 2016, 11:58 am

Looking to stay here soon for a week, will they have any issues w/ me booking a room for one, and showing up with 1 or 2 other guests? I'm a diamond, if that matters. Adding 1 or 2 guests is $50-$100 USd night for me, and I don't know if they are joining yet.

I find it silly that if I book as 1 adult, and split up my reservation, I could save up to 250 a night for the first few nights, versus booking as 3 and keeping my reservation.
There is a Hhonour member 2nd guest stay free rule, so 1 registered guest can stay with you in the same room without any extra.

Not sure if showing up with 3 guests, maybe they will just charge you the extra fees at check in? Perhaps it would be better just write to the hotel to enquire about it?
Old Jul 10, 2016, 4:01 pm
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Originally Posted by PedroNY
My experience (as a Diamond) has been an upgrade to a bay view room, with Exec Lounge access. I spent total of 10 nights here, I never had a suite upgrade. I have 4 nights coming up in about a month, I don't expect a suite upgrade -- have people actually gotten suite upgrades here? All my stays been on points, and next four nights, points again.

P.S. I am really just coming back to get more of their Conrad Bear toys.

Cheers,

PedroNY
I book a regular bay view room and have been upgraded to a suite (sometimes to an amazing very high end suite) every time except once in the past 4 years. Average 10 to 12 paid stays per year (though some are two short stays in a single week when traveling around Japan).
Old Jul 10, 2016, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by loyaltypointschaser
...Not sure if showing up with 3 guests, maybe they will just charge you the extra fees at check in? ...
IME, Japanese hotels are usually pretty anal about occupancy (regardless of the size of the room) and you are quite likely to run into trouble if you try to have 3 adults in a room when you have booked only two.

Originally Posted by wjj
I book a regular bay view room and have been upgraded to a suite (sometimes to an amazing very high end suite) every time except once in the past 4 years. Average 10 to 12 paid stays per year (though some are two short stays in a single week when traveling around Japan).
I stay only 1-2 times a year and always book the lowest available rate. But I have always been upgraded (as a Diamond) to an Executive room (sometimes City View and sometimes Bay View) and only once was I ugraded to a Suite, albeit with a City view. I would guess wjj's better upgrade score is due to his/her room night count at this hotel.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by SchrottFly
IME, Japanese hotels are usually pretty anal about occupancy (regardless of the size of the room) and you are quite likely to run into trouble if you try to have 3 adults in a room when you have booked only two.

I stay only 1-2 times a year and always book the lowest available rate. But I have always been upgraded (as a Diamond) to an Executive room (sometimes City View and sometimes Bay View) and only once was I ugraded to a Suite, albeit with a City view. I would guess wjj's better upgrade score is due to his/her room night count at this hotel.
Kind of dumb to have a 2nd guest stays free benefit when they tack on another 100 dollrs for 2 more ppl per night
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:23 pm

Kind of dumb to have a 2nd guest stays free benefit when they tack on another 100 dollrs for 2 more ppl per night
Occupancy costs by number of people in the room is very common in Japan.

Hilton Honours just happen to have this special term for its members which I guess many members may not be aware of or may forget when making booking.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Is there a pattern of C+P availability here? I can see availability up to the 31st August? Do they release in blocks? Looking for a couple of stays in December. Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Is there a pattern of C+P availability here? I can see availability up to the 31st August? Do they release in blocks? Looking for a couple of stays in December. Thanks
I have stayed at Conrad Tokyo several times, but I do not monitor rates on the hotel that frequently to get an idea of pattern of availability. But I think it is like other Hilton hotels that if a hotel can expect to fill the hotel with paid guests then C&P tend to be not readily available.

However, it is standard practice of many hotels in Japan that room booking does not start till three to four months in advance. If trying to book a room via website farther out than three to four months then it will either show as a hotel completely booked or rates shown is only a rack rate (i.e. most expensive rate).

I have seen similar situation at Conrad Tokyo. I booked junior suites around August for a stay on late November. When I checked for availability during October I saw promotional rate which was about half of what I had reserved. Obviously, I canceled the existing reservation and booked new one using new rate.

All I can say is to keep checking to see if C&P rate appear on the date you want. If a hotel thinks the date you are looking will be high occupancy then C&P rate for that date may never show up.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by loyaltypointschaser
There is a Hhonour member 2nd guest stay free rule, so 1 registered guest can stay with you in the same room without any extra.

Not sure if showing up with 3 guests, maybe they will just charge you the extra fees at check in? Perhaps it would be better just write to the hotel to enquire about it?
Does 2 adults and 1 child count as 3 guests?

Also, can someone explain to me the 9% tax and the 200 yen per person charge?

Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:55 am

Yes, it counts as three guests, however, from my experience, there is only a charge for the child if you want a bed for them, in which case it costs about $70.
The 9% and 200 yen are taxes from different levels of government. Pretty much ubiquitous in hotels around the world.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Yes, it counts as three guests, however, from my experience, there is only a charge for the child if you want a bed for them, in which case it costs about $70.
The 9% and 200 yen are taxes from different levels of government. Pretty much ubiquitous in hotels around the world.
Thank you for the reply.

If I book on points, how much taxes am I looking at?

Thanks again!
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:26 am

I paid none

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.