Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
This thread is for archived general discussion of Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom through 2012. For information and discussion on individual hotels, please refer to LINKS for Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom

To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:
1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2013, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Dcislander
Last question. Having not been in a while would you all take a better room but lesser location or vice versa if traveling to London with a kid?
Location, location, location! We live in Dublin, and I would say the same for here. Or anywhere.

We stayed in London for 4 days for the Olympics - we went kidless (a rarity), and stayed a couple of nights at The Hilton Docklands Riverside for the last Fri/Sat of the athletics schedule when rooms were going for 300/night incl taxes (or 35k HH points per night). Apart from the hotel being like student digs (pretty poor); the travel time on the tube; the walk to the dock; and the ferry across/ferry waiting was such a waste of time. We should have used more points for a central location, even if only for one night. We skipped on location as no kids in tow. Mistake.

As an aside, we very much liked The London Elizabeth Hotel, at the side entrance of Hyde Park. It's right at a Tube Station and a good choice for anyone using that line. Very British, inexpensive (call them directly) and homely for kids.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Booked Trafalgar for July. Going for location. May email and ask about an advance Diamond upgrade.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Booked Trafalgar for July. Going for location. May email and ask about an advance Diamond upgrade.

2 days? Does this include a TATL? You don't need to worry nearly as much about where you stay as you do that the young one sleeps on the plane and that the jetlag doesn't ruin the time.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
3 nights at the hotel. Prior to hitting London we will be with friends in Italy for 7 days, then London, Paris 2 days, AMS 2 days. By the time we get to the UK the jetlag should be close to slept off. Plus, the lucky kids gets to go over the pond in Biz as I cash in *a ff miles.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

I'm going there July 4 to 8. Great location and breakfast is really good. I booked a couple months ago and emailed about an upgrade and haven't heard anything back yet. Last time they gave me a larger deluxe room
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Vicb: Are you a diamond? If so call the diamond desk and they can probably get you a standard room redemption rate. They were only showing premium rooms for a four day stay in July this summer, and I called the diamond desk and they got me an axon rate.
Sadly not a diamond, just gold.

Now under the 3/28 deadline to book a hotel, had wanted to wait until I had enough point to cover 2 rooms 7 nights, close but not quite there so will book what I can with points before the devaluation and go from there.

Leaning toward Hilton Park Lane, Trafalgar not available. Want to be able to easily walk to restaurants, tube stations, some attractions. Traveling with "children" ages 18 and 21.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:22 pm
Suspended

RANT ALERT: I can't hold it in any longer. I hate these London threads.

Let me recommend the book Londoners by Craig Taylor. There's London and then there's London.

For people making a once in a lifetime trip to London for a few days, maybe staying in central London means something important logistically so that one might more easily fill in the checklist. For returning tourists, I suggest venturing out. If one intends to return to London, do yourself a favor and plan a reasonable trip that you will enjoy rather than a laundry list.

I can say that I thank the travel gods that I have stayed all over London and gotten a better understanding of the city than would have been impossible if I had been too rigid with an idea of having to be close to point A.

I think the travel around London can be a blessing. First, walk. I cannot express how much better London is to visit if you walk as much as possible. Second, visit the Museum of London and/or Museum of London Docklands. London may be the most interesting human settlement we have going and visiting will become 100X more interesting if you have some sense of reference both geographically and historically.

I don't mean this as criticism. People can do what they wish. My intent is to encourage people to try areas of London for part of their stay that sometimes get short shrift.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
While I agree that Trafalgar is a better location, it's too hectic for me.

While the Park Lane location is a bit out of the way for theater, I want to make my choice based on the hotel itself. I'm sensing the Park Lane is a bit more luxurious, is that correct?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
It is. And don't worry about location, you'll get where you need to go quickly by tube.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
While I agree that Trafalgar is a better location, it's too hectic for me.

While the Park Lane location is a bit out of the way for theater, I want to make my choice based on the hotel itself. I'm sensing the Park Lane is a bit more luxurious, is that correct?
Yes. I would go back to Trafalgar if I only had 1-2 days in town and I was going to do touristic sightseeing and had family/kids with me. I would go back to Park Lane if I was going with my husband for a leisurely week.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Great, thanks stifle and msc75!

Now I still have to decide between my Thanksgiving London Weekend between the Hilton Park Lane and the JW Marriott Park Lane (where I've been before and liked). Hilton is devaluing more, but the JW is becoming much more too (just not insane like the top end of Hilton).

But either way, it will be that end of town. Great part of town for walking.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Just make sure you book it today!
Old Apr 6, 2013, 5:56 pm

Solo traveler

Its so overwhelming with all of the Hilton properties in London..... for a single traveler, I'm looking for safety, accessibility to transportation/attractions and the best value for executive lounge/breakfast. Suggestions?
Old Apr 6, 2013, 7:19 pm

My favorite is Doubletree Tower Hill. The combination of location, less than 1 minute away from a tube station, lower pts required for free stays, and great breakfast buffet make it a winner. The negatives are basic rooms (fine, but not luxurious and a bit Spartan in their feel) and no exec. lounge. If you don't care how many points you burn, Hilton Tower Bridge has a very nice lounge and lovely rooms. The Waldorf Hilton has primo location and nice breakfast but it's hard to get upgraded.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by buckeye1
Its so overwhelming with all of the Hilton properties in London..... for a single traveler, I'm looking for safety, accessibility to transportation/attractions and the best value for executive lounge/breakfast. Suggestions?
Had a great stay at Hilton Tower Bridge at the end of February, nice since its a new property and modern....great hotel for london. Tube is 3 minut walk. Not sure if you are using points, when you say value?? They run some great specials here, just book in advance. My room was only 90 pounds, will be 140 in October.....just keep checking rates. Metropole runs some really good deals as well. The lounge was in its temporary location when i was there, but the offerings and drinks are very nice. Best lounge I've been in while in London, also full spread for breakfast offered in the restaraunt as well.... You would be happy here, safe and easy to get anywhere.....although ease of getting around is any of the downtown properties. Overall, very impressed with the property, even more impressed with the rate! London at under 150 a night is very good, especially at this level of a property. If you read the Hilton Tower thread, most people agree that the lounge is the best of the Hiltons here.

PS, London has more cameras monitoring the streets than any place in the world..... If you are in the main parts of town you are fine, this area was very secure in the late evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.