Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
This thread is for archived general discussion of Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom through 2012. For information and discussion on individual hotels, please refer to LINKS for Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom

To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:
1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2009, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CAlex
Islington looks to be quite far away from Angel, which is again not the best tube connection for short-term tourists. I should have probably mentioned that we will be travelling also with our 6-months old baby, and I try to avoid pushing the push-chair from tube too long.

Land-of-Miles, from your knowledge or experience, are the double rooms (standard 1 double-bed) at Docklands so big as they mention on website (26sqm)? What are the chances they could have a good view over Thames or towards Canary Wharf? If this would be the case, I am considering this hotel, as it would save about 30GBP, 1 day of free transport for 4
Islington is very close to Angel Tube (approximately 5 minutes walk). If difficulty reaching the tube or transport is an issue then the Docklands is almost certainly not for you. They do have a shuttle bus to Canada Water tube but you will probably be waiting a while at Canada Water station.

We have stayed twice at the Docklands, the first time we had a suite (like a small apartment) so that isn't a good comparator, the second time we had a family room which was reasonably spacious but with the space taken up by the extra bed. This hotel has a wide variety of room types of varying sizes but it is fair to say that they look a little bigger than those in Islington which are small. For a 30GBP saving it just isn't worth it I would say. Approximately half of the rooms at the Hilton have views towards the river and Canary Wharf but the higher floor rooms are best.

I may seem a little hard on the Hilton Docklands which is in many ways a nice property. It was I believe built as apartments then converted to a hotel which explains the rather quirky interior. There are also 2 fundamentally separate but linked structures. An older warehouse building and a more modern series of blocks. This property fills a certain niche for cost conscious business travellers working in the Wharf across the water. It is definitely not a good location for tourists. Is it possible to base a leisure trip from the Hilton Docklands, of course it is. That said it is also possible to base a lesiure trip to New York from the Ramada at JFK but I wouldn't want to do that either.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Jan 16, 2009 at 1:13 am
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
Thank you for your time. I sent the link to my travel&life companion , together with links from hotels and everything. We decided that since breakfast is basically the same and Docklands might give us ~30% chances for room with a nice river view (Double Guest Room), we will go for that one (booked it today).

This trip should be special, and we decided that transport to hotel can be overlooked, fair chances for a room with nice view and telling all friends that "we sat in a Hilton by the Thames" will weight in little more.

I really appreciate your feedback and, in all honesty, I hope that either my standards are not that high or that I'll get struck by beginner's luck! I will travel in March, I'll make sure to come back and report on how it went.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lia_b
CIT85 I would be interested to learn how much time your devoted between London and Paris. I was thinking 5 days London and 3 days Paris. Did you also stay at a Hilton in Paris?
I did this several years ago during a spring break week, so I had less time than you're planning. I think we did 4 days in Paris followed by 3 days in London. If the main objective for your trip is London, then 5 days in London and 3 days in Paris will be fine. Personally, I would prefer Paris over London now that I've been to both cities may times. You will need half a day from London to Paris, or vice versa, since the Eurostar is ~3 hrs, because of the slow track in the UK.

I did this trip back when The Langham Hotel was still a Hilton, and I think it was the best Hilton property in London. I selected the Prince de Galle in Paris, a Starwood Luxury Collection. Both were on award stays. I would select the Hilton Arc de Triomphe in Paris if I'm going with Hilton. I've stayed at the Hilton ADT and the Paris Hilton (the one by the Eiffel Tower that just left Hilton) and the ADT is nicer.

You have enough time before your trip to accumulate more HHONORS points, through AMEX bonus is fastest. But, you should seriously consider taking advantage of the January sale and use the discounted rate for some of the nights (I think they're only valid for weekends, you can try inputting difference dates).
Old Jan 15, 2009, 6:58 pm

Thanks CIT85 for all the info. I already got my Hilton Amex today!
Old Jan 22, 2009, 1:11 am

Programs: AA (US) gold, HH gold, Bonvoy gold
Thanks popester - great post - I'm lurking concerning my trip in May....
Old Jan 22, 2009, 2:12 am

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by steves
Thanks popester - great post - I'm lurking concerning my trip in May....
+1^ Thank you popester and TTL. Also lurking for my trip in late March. checking availability now at Soho courthouse.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:01 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Re: Chip and Pin Credit Cards

US issued credit cards are not equipped with the chip needed for chip and pin use. The European card readers will know that and you will just sign as you do in the States. Every merchant has the ability to process a signature credit card purchase (even if they don't want to).

As a note, in the US a pin number attached to a credit card is used exclusively for cash advances against he credit card. Additional fees and high interest are charged for these transactions.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:56 am

You're welcome

If you have any further questions on London generally please feel free ask.

P
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:47 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
lots of great info in this thread -

I love how FT'ers are so generous w/ info and help - and I am going t o ask to please keep this thread on the merits of various Hiltons in London and leave the CC pin, tube vs HEX, etc. to TravelBuzz. I realize I may make a BIT more work for the OP to post in a couple of Forums, but it does help keep the forums on topic and relevant to the programs listed.

thanks all

squeakr
MOD Hilton
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Need best two Hiltons (for me) in London on AXON awards

Hi all -

DH and I are heading to London for 11 nights this June. It is our first time to London, and rather than spending 11 nights in London consecutively (I believe staying in one hotel for that amount of time would drive me bonkers), we are thinking of doing a 4-night AXON award, then going to Bath/Cambridge in some combo of 3 nights, then returning to London for another 4-night AXON, at a different property. We are mid 30s, appreciate somewhat new and trendy properties, but we don't have to be at the center of everything either.

Obviously we want to get the most value out of the AXONs that we can, so what would your suggestions be? And if you would be so inclined, please explain your reasoning for suggesting the hotels that you choose.

Thanks!
Jen
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:28 am
Suspended

Based on your criteria: Hilton Trafalgar the "hippest of all the London Hiltons" and either the Waldorf or the Bentley the latter newest in terms of being a Hilton was redone recently and is quite nice.

Both of the last two listed, actually IMHO are in better locations ie not so crowded/hectic but that might be what other desire.

mike

Last edited by MIKESILV; Jan 26, 2009 at 11:35 am
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I wouldn't disagree with Trafalgar (if you're there in teh summer, it has a fantastic roof bar with great views of Trafalgar square.

Waldorf has some really hip and stylish rooms and a great location for theatres and the like.

Park Lane Hilton isn't my favourite. They do have pretentions and prices to match and the location isn't hugely convenient for anything.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
The Trafalgar has no award availability during the period I'll be there.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:20 am

Programs: UA Premier, BA, AA, HHonors Gold
I'd recommend the Park Lane for one of your stays. Ask for a room on a high floor with a view of the London Eye. You'll also be able to see Big Ben, St. Paul's and Buckingham Palace. The location is great for shopping or for a walk in Hyde Park. The London Hard Rock, which is THE original, is quite close. If you get access to the executive lounge the food is quite good, especially the pastry at breakfast and tea. The canapes in the evening are Middle Eastern, which may be a plus or a minus, depending on what you like.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 5:15 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
i think if i were going to use 2 axon awards, i would do 1 in london at the canary wharf hilton. then take the eurostar to paris and do an axon award there. then back to london for 3 days(try a fri,sat,sun) and book those last 3 days on the january special weekend rates. canary wharf has a good executive lounge. nice hotel. you can do cambridge on a day trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.