Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
This thread is for archived general discussion of Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom through 2012. For information and discussion on individual hotels, please refer to LINKS for Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom

To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:
1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kevinsmith
Don't forget St Paul's Cathedral. I've never heard of additional ID being asked for when using credit cards. Chip and pin is mostly used here, so you will just need to know your pin number. Make sure no-one sees you enter this. .
Where do you get this stuff from?

I have used my credit cards hundreds of times in London and the UK and never once asked for my pin???
Which I sure as s*** aint gonna give out anyway.

mike
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:51 am
TMC

Programs: United 1K, BA Silver, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by MIKESILV

I have used my credit cards hundreds of times in London and the UK and never once asked for my pin???

mike
Where Chip and PIN is used, you most certainly don't give it out - a wireless card holder should be brought to you - so your card should never leave your sight and the staff are usually discrete enough to look away as you tap your PIN in. If not, a quick "Paddington Hard Stare" should do the trick.

Us limeys are used to it now (our continental cousins were ahead of us in implementation), but I did 'Chip 'n' PIN' in Whistler over three years ago much to the surprise of the shopkeeper!

It might eventually catch on in the US?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:03 am

Programs: NZ *Gold

mike
OT
Chip and pin is the norm here, although it is possible (US issued) cards don't have the technology required by the card readers, so you'll be asked to sign, and that's why a request for additional ID might be made.

I'm always asked to sign in the US when using UK issued chip and pin cards, and quite often asked for ID other than in grocery stores and restaurants.

Back on topic - Paddington Exec lounge is in my mind better than the Metropole - great view out over the station concourse and you can't beat it for location if coming in on the HEX. Metropole would be second best in terms of convenience. In the lounge, generally they take away the spirits at around 8 p.m., although the wine tends to stay out a bit longer, until it runs out at least but is then not replenished. The Metropole is huge and the exec lounge now seems to be busy most of the time. Not sure what time the Paddington stops serving alcoholic drinks - latest I've been in there was 7 p.m. and drinks were still available then. At the Tower Bridge on Tuesday the drinks were still out when I was leaving the lounge at 8.

Regards
RedV
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:07 am
Suspended

Servus --

I believe that the time you would be coming into London if you were to take the tube from LHR is the discounted pricing that would cost leass as many mentioned. I think with 3 people that leads to a signifcant cost savings.

In addition, I am not at all sure that the extra money for the Executive Lounge access is worth it as you are aloready getting breakfast from the rate booked -- see recent posts concerning this on Lonodn Tower Bridge thread.

It might be best for you to pocket the difference and use it to dine at less expensive restaurants as the Exec Lounges, perhaps all the more so on weekends, don't seem to offer what you might be hoping for.

Remember folks, he clearly indicated this is a weekend stay and your experiences as a business person mid-week might not reflect his over the weekend when families are more the norm.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TMC
Where Chip and PIN is used, you most certainly don't give it out - a wireless card holder should be brought to you - so your card should never leave your sight and the staff are usually discrete enough to look away as you tap your PIN in.. If not, a quick "Paddington Hard Stare" should do the trick.Us limeys are used to it now (our continental cousins were ahead of us in implementation), but I did 'Chip 'n' PIN' in Whistler over three years ago much to the surprise of the shopkeeper!It might eventually catch on in the US?
Those little wireless machine have been around for a while and I agree are very convenient.
They have been used particularly in France for well over ten years and are
used there it seems about 95% of the time... but my point is in with regard to the required use of a pin.

For example I spent 15 days in the UK ( Ediinbourgh, Glasgow, London etc) in July and 10 days in France in October ( Paris, Strasbourg etc) and used my CC for just about all my transactions and never once had to supply or key a pin into the machines.

mike
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:59 am
TMC

Programs: United 1K, BA Silver, Marriott LTP
Those little wireless machine have been around for a while and I agree are very convenient.
They have been used particularly in France for well over ten years and are
used there it seems about 95% of the time... but my point is in with regard to the required use of a pin.

For example I spent 15 days in the UK ( Ediinbourgh, Glasgow, London etc) in July and 10 days in France in October ( Paris, Strasbourg etc) and used my CC for just about all my transactions and never once had to supply or key a pin into the machines.

mike
As RedVee said that is down to your card not being PIN enabled (we migrated to all cards having a chip in a few years back - Amex were one of the slowest of the UK issued cards - 90% of the countries I visit now ask for my PIN - although the UK were late adopters we're clearly ahead of some. I now get quite concerned when I go to places where they take my card out of my site ...

Anyway - back on topic, the Hilton Paddington is most convenient as was said on business trips and I prefer it for early flights from T5 over the Heathrow Hilton; shame the lounge closes so early it does mean you have to do some quick top-ups! I've been spoilt by the Istanbul Conrad setting the standard for me with the Lounge serving till 11pm.

With a family I'd be looking at staying nearer the sites/shops - Tower Bridge or Park Lane.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Given the options of Paddington, Metropole & Tower Bridge, & that it's only a weekend, I'd stay at Paddingtion (reg room if it includes brekkie in the rate), as you can hop on a # of tube lines at Paddington to the sights & it's easiest to/from LHR.

I would also save $$ & take the Heathrow Connect over the HEX. As someone else mentioned there isn't that large a dif in timeframes for actually getting to Paddington. The $$ you save can be used for buying drinks at the bar or another meal. I used to do HEX a lot, and now do HCON instead.

Cheers.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 2:18 pm
Community Director Emerita

Personally, I'd chose the hotel based on where I wanted to be during the weekend. I don't do things around Paddington, though the hotel is perfectly pleasant. I'd look at Green Park and take the tube. It's only a couple block walk from the Green Park Station, which is on the Piccadilly Line, a straight shot from Heathrow. I'd recommend the Trafalgar or Waldorf Hiltons, but based on the prices you are giving, I suspect they might be too expensive.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 2:54 pm

.....oh no just deleted this post by mistake and can't get it back. It was epic and long!!! Sorry.

Last edited by Popester; Jan 11, 2009 at 3:00 pm
Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:35 am

Pls. help with Hilton in London for family

We are planning on going to London at the end of June for a few days. I am trying to book a Hilton using points. However, since I am only a Silver level, I find that the only one I can book is the Docklands. Furthermore, because I am traveling with my family (4 people), I need a quad room. There are some negative reviews about Docklands, in terms of location and lack of air conditioning. We would be there for about 1 week and would like to see the main attractions in London as well as take a day trip to Stonehenge. We will not be renting a car. Our children are teenagers so getting around should not be an issue, but convenience would be nice. Can you suggest any other Hiltons that are more convenient that can accomodate us? I can probably book a stay up to 150,000 points if I transfer points from my Amex.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:45 pm

Popester's guide to London for London virgins from the US

OK...second attempt!

Servus

All depends on personal tastes, age of kids, whether this is your first time (sounds like it) and what you like to do, but here are my meagre thoughts...

First, transport. The HEX is the quickest if you're desperate on time but expensive for four. The underground (in local parlance 'the Tube') takes about 45 mins and is dead cheap and easy, but maybe you don't want to drag luggage and 2 kids across town. Regardless, don't buy tickets for cash, buy an Oyster card for your stay, which is swipe in and out and much cheaper. You can get them for 1 day at a time. Kids tickets depend on how old they are. If you're staying at Tower Bridge this may be a better option than a train to Paddington as you'll have to switch onto the tube to get there anyway.

However, if you're staying in Paddington or Metropole then HEX is good or consider a cab. Shouldn't be too much from Heathrow to West London as it's straight down the A40/M4. Check with the cabbie before you start as some can be naughty and rip of the uninitiated tourist - but this is rare as they are supposedly bound by a code. The price should be less than the HEX for 4.

General tube etiquette.....stand on the right of the escalators to avoid getting shouted at by hard working grumpy commuters like me Be aware that the tube will be very busy on a friday from 5pm to about 7pm (time to hit the pub and wait). Don't stand in the carriage door way when people are trying to get on (abuse from grumpy commuters like me will follow ). Don't stand in the middle of an entrance/exit to a tunnel reading the wall map....I think you know by now what will happen! Get a fold out tube map. Oh, and "Mind the Gap". Remember, noone talks on the tube, shhhhh!

OK, hotels.....

Hilton Tower Bridge is in the 'City' area and will therefore be dead at the weekends vis a vis restaurants and bars (if you can find any). Those that are open are probably best avoided. However, you do have a number of tourist places to visit within a few minutes walk: Tower Bridge (the one the guy from Arizona thought was 'London Bridge' and bought), The Tower of London and Crown Jewels (can have long queues), Pudding Lane and The Monument (origin of the Great Fire of London in the C17th), the Museum of London (London history), you could take the ferry to Greenwich with the observatory and Queen Anne's House and if you wander down to London Bridge (15 mins walk) you have the London Dungeon and Borough Market. I don't like LD but Borough Market is fun and there are some good pubs/restaurants. For trivia it was where Guy Ritchie's "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" was filmed.

However.....if you want the West End and Museums then it is a 15 min tube journey into the West End and quite pricey by cab. Take the tube to Westminster from Monument or Tower Bridge. Alternatively, walk up to Bank and take the Central line to Tottenham Court Road.

Paddington is more central than the Metropole but I guess that is six of one half a dozen of the other. Paddington is a slightly nicer area and is of course closer to the HEX/tube. As a North Londoner, I, of course, think West London is a dirty pit and only a place to pass through, however it is the centre for tourist hotels. I'd stay at the Paddington personally due to the Bayswater shops and restaurants nearby (not that you'll really want to frequent them on a short stay). However, Edgware Road by the Metropole is a very Arabic area and has a great Middle Eastern flavour if you're into that.

Compared to Tower Bridge you are also more central to the better known tourist spots, however I'd still rather stay in Soho or there abouts.

In central London you have:

Covent Garden (fun, but expensive - take a wander up to Seven Dials and the bars, quirky shops there). Usually lots of jugglers and street acts.
Leicester Square (see, run, leave - grim tourist trap)
China Town (dead chickens in window and takes all of about 5 mns to see). Recommend Wonkey's restaurant on Wardour St which is known for cheap food and very rude waiters.
Soho (great at night), good restaurants and bars on Dean Street, Frith Street and Greek Street. Probably wouldn't go as far as Wardour Street. Old Compton Street also has great restaurants but is gay central, so depends on your tastes.
Trafalgar Square - usual fountains and stuff plus National (art) Gallery. Walk from there down to Whitehall and House of Parliament, Horseguards (horses and uniforms), the Cenotaph and of course the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey. Walk across from there to St James Park, the Mall and Buckingham Palace.

Across from Houses of Parliament is the London Eye. Nothing else there really apart from Waterloo station and a few bars along the river front. Top tip - book the London Eye in advance and go for sunset or the like. Of course, in the summer this will be quite late.

At night it depends on where you're staying and what you want to do. Tower Bridge area will be dead, avoid. Avoid Leicester Square also, nothing there but tourist traps. Perhaps wander over to Covent Garden or perhaps better still, Soho if you want to stay central.

Shopping:

Selfridges on Oxford Street (think Macy's)
Oxford Street generally - most things chain store brands. Avoid the auction/bargain/street seller stuff as it is all fake and a rip off.
Harrods in Knightsbridge (overly expensive. Visit only)
Sloane Square (designer expensive, my wife's credit card swears by it)
Bond Street (designer clothes and jewellery, expensive) but near Selfridges
Tottenham Court Road - electronics. You can haggle over the price.
Camden Market - overhyped junk. For teenage kids into My Chemical Romance only!
Portobello Market - as above but for wannabe bohemians.

Watch out for pickpockets, beggars and 'chuggers' (charity muggers - people who want your details to save the World, poor kids, homeless, Pandas, meerkats, polar bears etc). Ignore and sneer with disdain like a true Londoner!

If you have time get a tour bus. I never used to rate them, but tried one one rainy day with visitors and was pleasantly shocked! Was great. Consider the 'Duck Tour' as this actually drives into the river... don't worry, you won't get wet.

Finally (phew!) we use chip and pin on our cards here which means that you always keep your card with you and is not prone to rip off by copying your signature. Make sure you know your pin. However, US cards may just reject the CnP and just ask for a signature. Just the ay it is. Be aware that not all shops take AMEX (as the fee is too expensive) so have a VISA card available.

Hmmmm. That's about it for now, sure I'll think of some more later.

Have fun

P
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Did you know that Hilton is having a half price sale right now? It may be worth your time to look at booking two rooms. One room as an award and one room as a paid. The rooms can be very small and 4 adults (which teenagers essentially are size wise) could be very cramped.

Also as a Silver you can get a VIP award and get 6 nights for the 150,000 points. Just make sure the hotel is a catagory 5 or lower.

Check the link below. You must book the room prior to January 31.

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/promotio...nSale,BannerIS
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by lia_b
We are planning on going to London at the end of June for a few days. I am trying to book a Hilton using points. However, since I am only a Silver level, I find that the only one I can book is the Docklands. Furthermore, because I am traveling with my family (4 people), I need a quad room. There are some negative reviews about Docklands, in terms of location and lack of air conditioning. We would be there for about 1 week and would like to see the main attractions in London as well as take a day trip to Stonehenge. We will not be renting a car. Our children are teenagers so getting around should not be an issue, but convenience would be nice. Can you suggest any other Hiltons that are more convenient that can accomodate us? I can probably book a stay up to 150,000 points if I transfer points from my Amex.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Have a look at my other post on the London thread. By the way, be prepared to be disappointed by Stonehenge.....
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:04 pm

Hi, Thanks for information regarding the 1/2 price sale. I did try it for a quad, but I will see what I get for a regular room and compare the benefits.

Re: Stonehenge, I did hear that it is quite small and it is actually fenced off. We will decide once we are there if we want to take the trip. It seems a shame though not to see it if already there.

Thank you!!!
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
i think i would throw in a low ball bid for 2 rooms on priceline first. check out bids on biddingfortravel.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.