Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
This thread is for archived general discussion of Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom through 2012. For information and discussion on individual hotels, please refer to LINKS for Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom

To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:
1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
We are now doing 3 nights at the Hilton Bath upon our arrival at Heathrow, which leaves us with 7 nights in London (no longer 8 since we added an extra night to our Paris segment). So I'm looking at paying for 3 nights at the Tower Bridge (Jan sale has rooms for 74 pounds) and then doing an AXON at the Courthouse Doubletree, so we get a taste of two properties. I think 7 nights in one prop (especially if we don't get upgraded) will be a long time.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:31 pm

Never stayed at Islington, but I would NOT recommend Euston. There's a thread on Euston that's self explanatory.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by blase
We are now doing 3 nights at the Hilton Bath upon our arrival at Heathrow, which leaves us with 7 nights in London (no longer 8 since we added an extra night to our Paris segment). So I'm looking at paying for 3 nights at the Tower Bridge (Jan sale has rooms for 74 pounds) and then doing an AXON at the Courthouse Doubletree, so we get a taste of two properties. I think 7 nights in one prop (especially if we don't get upgraded) will be a long time.
OT but beware the Hilton Bath- see reviews here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-terrible.html
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:52 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Doubletree by Hilton London Regent Street might be an OK stay as well, from the location perspective, anyway.
Love the DoubleTree cookies! Ever since my first stay at a DoubleTree and some sharp eyed employee noticed my comment about how the cookies would be better if there was a glass of cold milk to go with them I have had a carafe of milk sitting in an ice bucket in my room at check-in ^

But I digress - we recently stayed at the Park Lane and Waldorf. The Waldorf is convient to shopping and theaters and is showing a bit of her 100 year old age. The Park Lane is newer, just don't take anything on or below the 5th floor or you will be looking into the neighboring office buildings

Last edited by Italy98; Feb 9, 2009 at 6:57 pm
Old Feb 10, 2009, 8:26 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
OT but beware the Hilton Bath- see reviews here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-terrible.html
Thanks, I was aware of the bad reviews of Hilton Bath when booking. It sounds like post-renovation, it isn't quite as bad anymore.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by yann
We will be going to London on a long week-end in April, and would like to make the best of the situation by hotel hopping between properties.

So far, based on the reviews found here and the prices being offered, we are considering staying at the following properties.
- Day 1 : TBD
- Day 2 : Canary Wharf
- Day 3 : Tower Bridge

We would probably have stayed at the Tower Bridge on the first night as well, but it unfortunately is not available anymore on that date.

Which third property would you thus suggest, that offers easy enough access to the Canary Wharf property, as well as good benefits to HHonors Gold VIP members ?

Our options include :
- Hilton London Docklands Riverside hotel
- Hilton London Olympia hotel
- Hilton London Islington hotel
- Hilton London Euston hotel
- Hilton London Kensington hotel
- Hilton London Metropole hotel
- Hilton London Paddington hotel
- Courthouse Doubletree by Hilton London-Regent Street

Also, how easy/difficult is it to get from the Canary Wharf property to the tower Bridge one ?

Thanks in advance,
Yann
Not sure what TBD is but I wouldn't personally stay at either the Tower Bridge and definitely not Canary Wharf on a long weekend as they are really business hotels for the city, thus the locations are pretty much dead at the weekends and a journey to the centre of town/tourist sites/life.

I should also warn that the G20 conference is on in the Docklands and city around the first week of April and everything will be full (plus lots of security). I'd stay away around then from the city area if you're here as a tourist.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Popester
Not sure what TBD is but I wouldn't personally stay at either the Tower Bridge and definitely not Canary Wharf on a long weekend as they are really business hotels for the city, thus the locations are pretty much dead at the weekends and a journey to the centre of town/tourist sites/life.

Errr.... I don't know what Hilton Tower Bridge you have been to, but any hotel that is within a short walk of the Tower of London, the HMS Belfast, and a nice walk along the Thames to the Tate Modern and the Shakespeare's Globe, and an additional walk along the Thames to the London Eye, etc. is not what I call not well placed for tourist activities. Throw in the London Eye, The Clink, Vinopolis, and the Dali Experience if you are so inclined, and methinks that you are a tad off base in your analysis.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?...ay=180175&lm=0
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Popester
Not sure what TBD is but...
"TBD" is a very commonly-used abbreviation for "to be decided." I.e., the poster (yann) has yet to decide which hotel to stay in on the first day, hence is asking for advice.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 6:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
comments on Docklands

Originally Posted by xooz
Docklands is close to canary Wharf, but I would not choose that hotel over any of the others based upon feedback in this forum.
I stayed at Docklands on Friday night and have some comments. I should note that I had a very cheap rate that included breakfast (47 pounds total).

1. Shuttle from Canada Water- runs about every 15 mins, though at peak times you may have to wait for the shuttle bus to return. It only holds 16 passengers. The last shuttle of the day leaves Canada Water at 2335. I arrived at 2300 on Friday and could not board a packed bus, and got the next bus at 2315. There were still over 20 people waiting when I left, and the bus driver told them she was only making one more trip, and suggested the C10 local bus as an option (I don't know how close that comes to the hotel). It was very clear there would not be enough space on the last bus of the night to accommodate everyone. Hotel is about 2-3 miles from the train station, so not an easy walk.

2. Breakfast: the upstairs restaurant was full and the overflow was moved to a banquet room on the floor below. I enjoyed cold scrambled eggs and zero atmosphere. There was enough to select from (sausage, bacon, fried eggs, selection of fruit, yogurt, cereals) but I felt like I was in a school cafeteria instead of a hotel restaurant.

3. I had a room with two single beds which was quiet on the first floor in the main building and slept well.

Would I stay again? At the rate I got, yes, I probably would. If it was just a few pounds more I'd stay at one of the other Hiltons.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 7:29 pm

Thanks for the update, tom911. For 47GBP, I'd sure give it a try. Just got back from London this evening. Two nights at Metropole (52GBP) and one award night at the Waldorf. Did get upgraded at both locations, so a good weekend all the way around. Second stay at the Waldorf and while I got a nice upgraded room, it is high time they do something about the windows and the noise from the street (alley in my case). The stay would have been great but for the noise.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by xooz
Tower Bridge is a short walk from the Tower Bridge tube stop on the Jubilee line. Just go a couple of stops to Canary Wharf stop.
Just to be precise, the two closest tube stations to Hilton Tower Bridge are London Bridge and Tower Hill. London Bridge is by far the most convenient (turn right out of the hotel and it's five minutes walk) and is the one which is three stops from Canary Wharf on the Jubilee Line.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 1:42 am

London Hotels - Olympia, Hyde Park and Kensington

After staying in the above three hotels over 60 nights last year, I can offer the following advice:

Olympia - definitely the worst of the 3. Almost every time I arrived I was put a non-upgraded room and asked if I wanted to switch tomorrow. This almost led me to believe that this is the standard line so that they can keep you in the lower room if your not bothered to switch at that point. They do give breakfast for free, which is the standard hotel buffet you come to expect at any of the 3. It can be quite busy on the weekends, however. Location is not that good given the Olympia line you most always have to change at Earl's Court, and High Street Kensington is a long walk away. There isn't a Tesco or grocery nearby. In the room, it is outdated and my biggest complaint here is that the hotel seems to be made for people under 6' tall. If you are taller than that, you will not be able to stand upright in the shower, which on a daily occurrence, is rather annoying. (and I am 6'5)

Hyde Park - this hotel is growing on me as my favorite over the Kensington one. Hotel is nice, clean, and has good customer service. I have never been denied an upgrade, and breakfast is free here as well. They have a nice area to relax and read as well, which is almost like a lounge. Location is great - on the circle line as well as the central line into London - not to mention across the street is the park. The rooms are fit for tall folks, and beds, etc are up to date. Really good hotel that despite not having an executive lounge, is my top choice now in London. It has a vibrant night life and choices for eating, along with a Tesco's just down the road in a short walk.

Kensington - On the central line (Holland Park or Shepard's Bush) with a good location for nights out, this hotel was my first choice since it has an executive lounge with free breakfast and happy hour snacks. The rooms were very nice and the customer service excellent. I think the night manager knew my name by the 3rd time I arrived, which is rare as I make few requests of staff. The hotel is in zone 2, for you card holders, which makes it a further trip out (2-3 stops past Hyde Park Hotel). There isn't a tesco just next to the hotel, you have to go towards Holland Park station, but if you get off there, you can stop in, get what you need and head to the hotel.

Overall - Hyde Park #1, Kensington #2, and Olympia at last gasp. All 3 hotels offer rates from 69 GBP - 109GBP, which is my companies budget for staying in London.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 5:49 pm
ghw

Programs: HH gold, Hyatt diamond, priority club plat, Delta Gold, Marriott silver
what is best award stay hilton in london?

Has anyone has been to the Waldorf or Trafalgar Square Hilton’s in London in the last year or two and how are they for a Diamond? I did find sone threads with old info, but wanted info form any diamond who has stayed in teh last yr or 2 because I understand that they did a major remodeling job on the Waldorf recently?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ghw
Has anyone has been to the Waldorf or Trafalgar Square Hilton’s in London in the last year or two and how are they for a Diamond? I did find sone threads with old info, but wanted info form any diamond who has stayed in teh last yr or 2 because I understand that they did a major remodeling job on the Waldorf recently?
Recent enough?

The Waldorf Hilton, London

Hilton London - Waldorf vs Tralfagar
Old Feb 24, 2009, 6:24 pm
ghw

Programs: HH gold, Hyatt diamond, priority club plat, Delta Gold, Marriott silver
Thanks, excellent info...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.