Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ekozie
We are trying to collate a list of the websites that Hilton's Best Rate Guarantee team consider eligible for the BRG. Please update the following wiki with you successful/rejected BRG claims.

^Successful BRG claims have been made against:
muchoviaje.com - 26/09/2016
expedia.co.uk - 26/09/2016, Jan 2018
Expedia.com (US) - 18/09/2017
Expedia.ca - 1/20/18
happyrooms.com - 30/09/2016, 25/Jan/2017, 28/Jan/2017, 27/Feb/2017, 23/July/2017
hotelscombined.com - 17/Jan/2017
priceline.com (standard booking, not a bid or express booking)- 05/Oct/2016, 15/May/2017, 22/Apr/2018, 22/Oct/18, 25/Nov/18
prestigia.com - 24/Jan/2017
orbitz.com - Dec 2017
prestigia.com - Dec 2017, January 2018
nustay.com - Feb 2020

Unauthorised Sites for BRG Claim:
roomertravel.com - 16/09/2016
prestigia.com - 27/09/2016 - 'does not instantly confirm'
hoteltravel.com - August 2016 - " there have been discrepancies in the way the website has been displaying prices recently, and we are not satisfied that the website's processes are fair and transparent."
destinia.com - 29/09/2016 - 12 EUR Administration Fee for any cancellation vs Hilton Fully Flex
Travel.AmericaExpress.co.uk - 29/09/2016 Amex Card holders only
Bedfinder.com 6/8/17 - The third party site bedfinder.com is no longer considered to be valid
skoosh.com - denied 10//4/18

BRG claims on non-refundable rates are a gamble at best. Hilton can ask 3rd party sites to remove rates when they "sell unbundled wholesale rates", and screenshots are no longer sufficient proof. You will end up with the non-refundable rate booked, if the rate is gone when your claim is being reviewed.

On 18 November 2014 (see post #1261 of the archived thread), the HHonorsRepresentative listed 15 third-party websites that were 'no longer authorized to distribute our hotels’ static rates':
  • Alpharooms.com
  • Amoma.com
  • Cleartrip.com
  • Despegar
  • Elvoline
  • Galahotels
  • Hotelpronto.com
  • Jumbotours
  • LMT.com
  • Secretescapes
  • Simplytravel.de
  • TravelRepublic
  • Wego
  • Worldwideholidays.com.au

However, on 19 December 2014 (see post #3 of this thread), the HHonorsRepresentative announced a change of policy, stating that:
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Moving forward, we will approve claims from these sites as long as the offered rates meet the other BRG requirements we have in place, as we recognize that this is in the best interest of our members.

The Best Rate Guarantee exists so that our guests feel confident going to Hilton Worldwide channels to find the best rates that we offer. We strive for pricing accuracy in all our channels, and the BRG helps identify when that is not the case.
The HonorsRepresentative has not issued any subsequent statement suggesting another change of policy and a return to the previous 'blacklist'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the late 2014/2015 BRG thread - for the original thread please check here

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee, or BRG: The Definitive Thread

Thanks!

Squeakr
for the HH Mod Team of squeakr, Canarsie and Kiwi Flyer
--------
Print Wikipost

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2019, 1:16 pm

My first one in a while (if not the first one ever, with Hilton, can't remember).

Hotel: Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites
Dates: 12/20-12/23
Room: 1 King Standard
Hilton Rate: $110
Expedia Rate: $98
Original total: $390
Adjusted total: $256
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:49 am

And a quickfire second one:

Hotel: Hampton Inn&Suites Denver Downtown/Convention Center
Dates: 3/26/2020-3/31/2020
Room: 1 King Suite
Hilton Rate: $159
Priceline Rate: $132
Original total: $920
Adjusted total: $573
Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Need to make sure this thread stays up the top of the forum so when Hilton read the forums they can be reminded about the bullsh*t their Filipino call centres peddle about not doing BRGs.

It's almost like they pay the staff an incentive to refuse them and be nonchalant. On the upside my successful BRG from Saturday was mis-calculated in my favour, so I did get one up on their call centre.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Schwann
Need to make sure this thread stays up the top of the forum so when Hilton read the forums they can be reminded about the bullsh*t their Filipino call centres peddle about not doing BRGs.

It's almost like they pay the staff an incentive to refuse them and be nonchalant.
I'm not sure why you believe that Hilton management aren't already aware of this and do it on purpose? Or do you think Hilton really WANTS you to get a 25% discount?

A few people complaining on the internet is nothing compared to those lured in by the Anna Kendrick ads...
Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
I don’t get the hate behind PMG agents. In my experience most have been very helpful and trying their best. Sure I have to HUCA two or three times every now and then, but nearly every single leisure stay at Hilton this past year I’ve gotten a PMG. I think I’m like 12/12 or something. Other times I book rates during flash sales so there’s no need.

The rules are very clear: find a better rate, with the exact cancellation policy, be patient with the agent and guide them through it, and frankly it pays off to be really nice on the phone too. Remember that these are people behind the phones. Often I ask not to be put on hold, chat them up and thank them for their time, and more than once they have bent the rules a tad to help me (like less than 2% difference on international stays, using some sites that aren’t in the handbook, or even believing me when the rate wasn’t there).

It pays to be nice, quite literally sometimes. It may be the reason I often get suites too at check-in who knows.
Cat88L3 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I'm not sure why you believe that Hilton management aren't already aware of this and do it on purpose? Or do you think Hilton really WANTS you to get a 25% discount?

A few people complaining on the internet is nothing compared to those lured in by the Anna Kendrick ads...
Of course... it is a gimmick which sometimes works in your favour and sometimes is entirely frustrating. But you're right, they don't need to care when 99% of people do'nt know or care about BRGs.

Originally Posted by verbyournoun
I don’t get the hate behind PMG agents. In my experience most have been very helpful and trying their best. Sure I have to HUCA two or three times every now and then, but nearly every single leisure stay at Hilton this past year I’ve gotten a PMG. I think I’m like 12/12 or something. Other times I book rates during flash sales so there’s no need.

The rules are very clear: find a better rate, with the exact cancellation policy, be patient with the agent and guide them through it, and frankly it pays off to be really nice on the phone too. Remember that these are people behind the phones. Often I ask not to be put on hold, chat them up and thank them for their time, and more than once they have bent the rules a tad to help me (like less than 2% difference on international stays, using some sites that aren’t in the handbook, or even believing me when the rate wasn’t there).

It pays to be nice, quite literally sometimes. It may be the reason I often get suites too at check-in who knows.

As someone who works with the public every day I try my upmost to be nice and patient to whomever I speak to either in person or over the phone to. I know the general public are.. a challenge to say the least. It's just frustrating when you know you have a competing rate that would qualify but have a rep who refuses to go on Expedia.co.uk (because she says Expedia.com is a generic site for all countries) and then decides she doesn't know how to do a currency conversion and then just suggests I go and book with the OTA instead because "it'll be easier". Then next agent won't even try.. nope, Agoda isn't on the approved list even though I've used Agoda as a competitor before.

There are some successes, like one of my recent ones. She just got on with it and there was no fuss.

I'll continue doing BRGs and continue annoying myself!

Last edited by Schwann; Dec 24, 2019 at 4:26 am Reason: Too many quotes.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: hhonors, spg, flying blue, skymiles, aadvantage
I've just been chatting to their twitter team about a price match on booking.com and they have not been helpful.
I sent them screenshots and they came back to me saying the quote on booking was higher than the one in my screenshot (I checked again to see if the price had changed, it hadn't).
So I sent them the link to the booking.com page and they now tell me to call the Reservation center.
Not to mention one individual telling me to fill the online form after I mentioned twice that i hadn't yet made the reservation, so have no reservation number, so can't use the form...
Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by lnyc007
I've just been chatting to their twitter team about a price match on booking.com and they have not been helpful.
I sent them screenshots and they came back to me saying the quote on booking was higher than the one in my screenshot (I checked again to see if the price had changed, it hadn't).
So I sent them the link to the booking.com page and they now tell me to call the Reservation center.
Not to mention one individual telling me to fill the online form after I mentioned twice that i hadn't yet made the reservation, so have no reservation number, so can't use the form...
So i ended up calling their reservation center and they continue to see a different rate than I see on booking.com and the rep told me they can't accept screenshots as evidence that i found a lower rate... he didn't offer any sort of solution either; "i'm not sure what to tell you" was his last words
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
So i ended up calling their reservation center and they continue to see a different rate than I see on booking.com and the rep told me they can't accept screenshots as evidence that i found a lower rate... he didn't offer any sort of solution either; "i'm not sure what to tell you" was his last words
Is this a non-refundable reservation that you are trying to match from Booking.com? If not, there's no harm in making the Hilton reservation, using the form, and submitting it to the price match team. I did 12, yes 12 price matches this way last month. A few required a couple of more back and forth emails (with screenshots as proof), but they were all matched. I would get them matched the same day.

The reservation team doesn't accept screenshots. That's the Price Match dept. You will reach them when you submit the BRG claim.

If they still won't match the claim for some reason, you can always cancel the Hilton reservation (if it's non-refundable)
lnyc007 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
"i'm not sure what to tell you"
Booking.com can have different rates depending on where you are physically located at the time of booking and sometimes based on the cookies on your computer, especially if you've arrived there via an aggregator.

Great if you use a VPN and actually want to book the OTA. Bad if you want to BRG...

It's always worth checking with an incognito browser and a VPN set to the US.
Schwann and lnyc007 like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:01 am

I've found it is easier to find BRG rates on country specific websites (such as Expedia.co.uk) , so when they double check it makes it a bit easier for the rates to be found. Anything with US point of sale is even better as it is presumably what the agents will be using.

I've had a lot of positive help with BRGs via Twitter. Any issues with that give it a couple of hours until "the other shift" are on the social media team as some agents are more willing to be helpful than others.
lnyc007 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Cat88L3
Is this a non-refundable reservation that you are trying to match from Booking.com? If not, there's no harm in making the Hilton reservation, using the form, and submitting it to the price match team. I did 12, yes 12 price matches this way last month. A few required a couple of more back and forth emails (with screenshots as proof), but they were all matched. I would get them matched the same day.

The reservation team doesn't accept screenshots. That's the Price Match dept. You will reach them when you submit the BRG claim.

If they still won't match the claim for some reason, you can always cancel the Hilton reservation (if it's non-refundable)
Yes, it was a non refundable, advance payment fare. You are making a great suggestion thank you I will keep it in mind in the future, i didn't think about it.

When I was reading this thread I got the impression that communicating through twitter would help / be easier, but in my (one and only) experience it didn't help at all. Or maybe i did it the wrong way / at the wrong time.

I am still confused as to why can't i reach the price match team through the online form prior to making my reservation... My case was last minute so didn't have too much time to spend on it. Now I learned.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 12:37 pm

Booking.com can have different rates depending on where you are physically located at the time of booking and sometimes based on the cookies on your computer, especially if you've arrived there via an aggregator.

Great if you use a VPN and actually want to book the OTA. Bad if you want to BRG...

Ok, so that could be the explanation as I was not in the US. I went to booking.com directly. Although in the terms, they say "if you find a lower price..." it doesn't say anything about the country where i book from or anything like that.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:06 am

i got the same experience with agoda.com (US-IP different to european IP).
Old Jan 11, 2020, 6:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
+1 to agent seeing different rates to me
Rang twice, trying to match for www.trip.com for Hilton Tokyo
Using US VPN, agent unable to see the rate I'm seeing, quoting a higher rate

Will have to send in screenshots!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.