Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "CAPTCHA for logging in?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
HHonors Sign In (if the link has disappeared)

https://secure3.hilton.com/en/hh/customer/login/index.htm
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "CAPTCHA for logging in?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
So if you get a second screen does that mean you messed up the first one?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
But I once followed advice to clear cookies and lost all sorts of helpfully saved log in details and other stuff.
Check to see if your browser lets you clear cookies on a per-site basis only. I've used that to clear up problems at several different sites, without messing up savid log in details and other stuff anywhere else. You just have to make sure you catch all the Hilton (in this case) variations (or is it CAPTCHA cookies?), as the cookies might come from several different Hilton sites.

By the way, it's easy to run an experiment to see if it's cookies without clearing cookies: Use a private/incognito window. That kind of window neither uses existing cookies nor stores new cookies, so if it works there but doesn't work in a normal window, it's almost certainly cookie-related.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
So if you get a second screen does that mean you messed up the first one?
I have to do it twice a lot when the first one should have been sufficient. Drives me nuts
holmedown, dlaue and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by sdsearch

By the way, it's easy to run an experiment to see if it's cookies without clearing cookies: Use a private/incognito window. That kind of window neither uses existing cookies nor stores new cookies, so if it works there but doesn't work in a normal window, it's almost certainly cookie-related.
Thanks for that! I quickly learned about command+shift+n and tried the site, but...

... Please use the reCAPTCHA to verify that you're not a robot.

So what about the corollary? Does needing to prove I'm not a robot even in "incognito" mode mean it isn't cookie related feature?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for that! I quickly learned about command+shift+n and tried the site, but...

... Please use the reCAPTCHA to verify that you're not a robot.

So what about the corollary? Does needing to prove I'm not a robot even in "incognito" mode mean it isn't cookie related feature?
Getting the CAPTCHA has not nothing to do with cookies. You can't avoid it. It's there to avoid people writing scripts to steal you\r account data!!! The website can't verify that you're a real live human without it.

Whether it asks you to answer questions or just ask you to click a box, or has problems accepting your CAPTCHA answer (when it's correct), that's all that refreshed cookies might solve.

So I thought you were having problems with your CAPTCHA. If your only complaint is that you get a CAPTCHA (but all you usually have to do is click the one checkbox), that's nothing that you can "sovle". You can complain if you wish, but that's better than you complaining about you having your account info stolen by an actual robot script.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Getting the CAPTCHA has not nothing to do with cookies. You can't avoid it. It's there to avoid people writing scripts to steal you\r account data!!! The website can't verify that you're a real live human without it.

Whether it asks you to answer questions or just ask you to click a box, or has problems accepting your CAPTCHA answer (when it's correct), that's all that refreshed cookies might solve.

So I thought you were having problems with your CAPTCHA. If your only complaint is that you get a CAPTCHA (but all you usually have to do is click the one checkbox), that's nothing that you can "sovle". You can complain if you wish, but that's better than you complaining about you having your account info stolen by an actual robot script.
Tetchy and condescending responses can be as irritating as the Captcha nonsense.

My impatience with Captcha is that (a) I get it every time, and (b) having been captured, i work through 3+ manifestations of fire hydrants etc before I gain access to the website. Perhaps i'm just not very good at it, though Lord knows, Hilton gives me enough practice.

My puzzlement is that working with Chrome I get straight through to the website without having to scour hazy views of midwestern high streets for store fronts etc etc

My airline accounts are far higher value than those accessed through hotel websites. Yet access to British Airways, Lufthansa et al is accomplished simply and efficiently without recourse to the idiosyncrasy employed by Hilton.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:46 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Part of the captcha is training the google self-driving car (waymo). For some of the pictures, the computer isn't sure whether that is a bus or a car or a traffic light, but it gets answers from millions of humans and if your answer is the same as 99.99% of other answers then it is recorded as correct. The goal is for the computer learn to recognize these road features itself.

A previous iteration of captcha was a project to digitise old books. This may have been 5 to 10 years ago. It would give you two images of a word from different books and ask you to type the word. One was "known" to the computer as many humans had already typed the same word and so that answer was taken to be correct. The other image was "new" and may not have been presented to many humans yet, so the computer did not have a consensus on the correct answer.

There was a way to guess which was which. You could mess with the program by typing the "known" word correctly and then entering a random jumble of letters for the "new" word, and it would still pass you.

Later on, there was a google street view project which showed you pictures of house numbers and got you to type those in, it was again possible to mess with it by giving wrong answers and still be passed as not a bot. Upshot is that even if the captcha says you are "wrong" you might not be wrong, it is all data-gathering.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by :D!

Later on, there was a google street view project which showed you pictures of house numbers and got you to type those in, it was again possible to mess with it by giving wrong answers and still be passed as not a bot. Upshot is that even if the captcha says you are "wrong" you might not be wrong, it is all data-gathering.
Facinating! I remember the house number version. There's also a muddled up letters and numbers variant, with different degrees muddiness.

But I guess my question is hpw does "it" decide a log-in warrants bot scrutiny. I am 100% scrutinised via Safari; zero% (touch wood) using Chrome.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:34 pm

You might have different security settings on the two browsers.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tetchy and condescending responses can be as irritating as the Captcha nonsense.

My impatience with Captcha is that (a) I get it every time, and (b) having been captured, i work through 3+ manifestations of fire hydrants etc before I gain access to the website. Perhaps i'm just not very good at it, though Lord knows, Hilton gives me enough practice.

My puzzlement is that working with Chrome I get straight through to the website without having to scour hazy views of midwestern high streets for store fronts etc etc

My airline accounts are far higher value than those accessed through hotel websites. Yet access to British Airways, Lufthansa et al is accomplished simply and efficiently without recourse to the idiosyncrasy employed by Hilton.
The terminology for talking about this does not seem to exist or at least be standardized.

I get the Captcha everytime at Hilton, but I rarely if ever need to anything other then check the box there. Meanwhile, I get a Captcha at Best Western which doesn't require a box most of the time, but I more often have to choose pictures there than at Hilton. And that's using the browser for both (though I haven't kept track of whether I have to choose pictures more on my work computer or my personal laptop).

We don't know what all the factors are toward what CAPTCHA makes you do, though any sites that gives you something CAPTCHA always seems to give you something CAPTCHA. Does what CAPTCHA makes you do have anything do with your password strength? Or like another post just asked, security settings in your browser? Or where you are connecting through (if on a laptop and thus you connect through various networks at different times) when you log in? Or how long it's been since your last login coming through the same network?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:46 am

Does what CAPTCHA makes you do have anything do with your password strength?
This is an interesting question.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How does IHG get away with still just using a 4-digit PIN?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Highly frustrating. I was sent a link to do early check in. I get the page, click the button, and get the red warning telling me to click the button. Wash, rinse, repeat. Incognito settings don't work. Firefox, Chrome, IE all the same. Frustrating and unacceptable.

Does Hilton have an email address for tech support? I'd love to tell them what I think about this "feature".

Last edited by SJCFlyerLG; Feb 6, 2020 at 6:52 am
Old Mar 17, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Problems Checking the Captcha Box

Not sure if there is an existing thread to post Hilton web site problems or not but is anyone else experiencing issues logging into the hhonors site? I cannot log in because I cannot check the Captcha box. I tried several different browsers. Not sure I am the only one. Thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I just logged in with no issues, including checking the captcha box.

Captcha issues in the past have been discussed in this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...ogging-33.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.