Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Conrad London St. James {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Conrad London St. James {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: British Airways, Hilton Hhonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by Adam1222
To clarify, there is indeed a lounge at the Conrad St. James. If we are now talking about other properties, I suggest moving to that thread or being clearer in your post.
They were referring to the Trafalgar...
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MoodyB
They were referring to the Trafalgar...
Yes one has to scroll back 6 posts for that to be clear(ish). this is not the thread for the Trafalgar, was the point.

Last edited by Adam1222; Feb 28, 2019 at 6:19 am
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:03 am

Wink

Yes one has to scroll back 6 posts for that to be clear. this is not the thread for the Trafalgar, was the point.
Oh my, the dreaded scroll back! We can't be having that, can we?
This will lead to anarchy if it's allowed to continue!
;-)
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
I apologize for asking about the Conrad vs. the Trafalgar - I saw all the comparisons to Bankside, so I was wondering about the comparisons to another hotel. Anyway, everyone here had such good things to say about Conrad that I switched last night. Prices were 75K per night vs. 70K. It also bugs me that at Trafalgar the bar/dining room are closed for renovation so the Conrad seems like a good choice. We are both golds so a upgrade would be nice, but not assumed.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MoodyB
Oh my, the dreaded scroll back! We can't be having that, can we?
This will lead to anarchy if it's allowed to continue!
;-)
Apologies for asking for clarity if it offended you. Im a pretty good reader and I was confused, and imagine others will be, especially when the thread returns to it's topic in the future.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:38 am

Apologies for asking for clarity if it offended you. Im a pretty good reader and I was confused, and imagine others will be, especially when the thread returns to it's topic in the future.
No need to apologise, I'm the last person to get offended!
Always first in line for a laugh though! (Folks can be far too serious around here at times)
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:57 am

Yes one has to scroll back 6 posts for that to be clear(ish). this is not the thread for the Trafalgar, was the point.
Two posts, but sorry for your confusion. The Conrad & Bankside have a lounge, the Curio doesn't.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:31 am

Thanks for all the feedback! I ended up jumping on standard award availability that came up for Conrad. Accessible room was only option, but it allowed me to use weekend certs + points. Hoping I can ask for upgrade closer to check in. Meanwhile, I plan on MS-ing to bump my status from Gold to Diamond so I have the best chance when I ask. Seems from the DPs here that they don't go up more than one level, but I'll be happy with Deluxe kind of room, even if it's not a Suite. Don't have high hopes during peak season.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles
Just came back from a great stay at the Conrad

We stayed 7 nights on Hilton points and 1 night with the free certificate. As a Diamond member, we received a Twin Executive Room which was 2 categories up from the standard king we had booked. I found out by checking the night before on the Hilton app. The room was similar, if not a tad smaller than American hotel rooms in terms of space, but larger than the standard room here. I had emailed the hotel multiple times regarding various requests and each time received a very polite response. I requested a room away from the St. James's Park Station tracks. We had room 109 which was around the corner from the Executive Lounge and its own quiet oasis. Nino at reception really did a lot to ensure we were happy with our room. Beds are comfortable and bathroom is very spacious with excellent shower pressure. The pillows were too soft for our liking but housekeeping was able to bring us firmer pillows. We received various treats throughout our stay. We had 2 complimentary bottles of water placed on the nightstands everyday which was really nice.

The Executive Lounge offerings are very nice. Continental breakfast has everything you need. Good coffee and tea selections too. As a Diamond, we were able to eat breakfast in the restaurant downstairs which had more options at no charge and we also used room service for breakfast once which was complimentary plus a 4 GBP tray charge. We used room service for dinner 3 times and food was great and came within 30 minutes. For afternoon tea, the Executive Lounge has a lovely selection of sandwiches and beautiful desserts which were delicious. The evening canapes are quite fancy and elegantly presented to you. Like others have mentioned, I prefer the buffet, help yourself, style. It seemed like it was all Americans staying.

The location is perfect for sightseeing. We took the train a lot more than we planned to since it was across the street. Every time we came back from somewhere, there was someone to greet us with a big smile.

I was really happy with the Conrad and I can truly say it's been my best stay in London to date. I felt it was an excellent use of points and they gave good Diamond benefits. Highly recommend without any hesitation!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,Virgin Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Had over 10 stays at Hilton Bankside now and I think it was stay number 5 just this weekend at Conrad St James for the London Marathon.
In my opinion Bankside is the clear winner by a mile
We always seem to have issues with basic service levels as well as noise problems at St James ( light sleeper )
Bankside are more generous with upgrades, rooms are quieter, service levels are much higher and we always leave Bankside happy.
Breakfast offerings and quality are similar in both hotels
Afternoon tea in Exec lounge slightly better at Conrad St James
Evening snacks in Exec lounge much better at Bankside
Bankside has an indoor swimming pool and Conrad St James has a fantastic location for sightseeing London
Bankside is usually half the price of Conrad St James sometimes going as low as £120 a night
Room rate last Saturday at Conrad St James was over £400 for the night and service was very sloppy

Last edited by PaulH1; Apr 29, 2019 at 5:27 pm
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
Originally Posted by PaulH1
Had over 10 stays at Hilton Bankside now and I think it was stay number 5 just this weekend at Conrad St James for the London Marathon.
We always seem to have issues with basic service levels as well as noise problems at St James ( light sleeper )
Bankside are more generous with upgrades, rooms are quieter, service levels are much higher and we always leave Bankside happy.
Bankside has an indoor swimming pool and Conrad St James has a fantastic location for sightseeing London
Bankside is usually half the price of Conrad St James sometimes going as low as £120 a night
Room rate last Saturday at Conrad St James was over £400 for the night and service was very sloppy

Good comparison. When we stayed there over spring break - I had reserved two standard rooms with points but we were upgraded to the Executive rooms which I believe is a two level upgrade. We had a few wonky things happen but for family travel we couldn't beat the location of the Conrad. We always ate breakfast in the executive lounge because of being in a rush. I think it would have been nice to eat in the main restaurant, from what I was told there was more of a selection.There was nothing better than after a long day of sightseeing to get cold bottles of diet coke from the Exec. lounge. Had chardonnay been offered I would have taken that! For some reason they had lots of types of wine, but no chardonnay...
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:07 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by PaulH1

Well said I couldn't agree more having much experience at both properties
It stems IMO from a great management culture at the Hilton Bankside.
The Conrad is still poisoned in culture from when it was an InterContinental though the hotel improved under the Hilton program
The Conrad still plays games with upgrades like its still a IC.I gave up on it completely
Noisy rooms negotiations to get an upgrade and an unappealing restaurant menu for lunch or dinner and a stinking overly scented perfumed lobby that gives me a headache
Service runs highly inconsistent at the Conrad
The Bankside has some very nice folks that work there and many are thoughtful and helpful.Better Concierge more helpful bellman and just other random acts of kindness
Better hotel lower costs on average and better value hands down
Old May 9, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
I'm on probably my 10th stay at the Conrad Saint James. I have to admit, I'm starting to wonder if the loyalty to the property is worth it. The location and the lounge are definitely the plusses. But it is starting to lose it a bit on the soft product, and I'm so tired of the upgrade games.

I booked with cash this stay - a King Executive and a King Deluxe. For the King Executive, I was told I was upgraded, but it is on the 1st floor, with a beautiful view of a dumpster, which I get to hear them empty every morning. For the King Deluxe, the "upgraded" to a Twin Executive - I can't imagine how they figured this was an upgrade. I'm Diamond, so "Executive" means nothing, as the rooms are no larger, and I already have lounge access. And I guess I could have complained about the room and view, but I checked in around 1pm from an overnight flight, and it just didn't seem worth it. Something about having to fight to be treated well just tells me it probably isn't a fit anymore.

Noticing small cutbacks as well - not huge things, but where there used to be overnight shoe shine, you now find a shoe mit. Molton Brown toiletries are gone, this is the third room I've had where the speakers in the bathroom don't work. Used to get a welcome amenity that was somewhat impressive, this time I got four pieces of chocolate, etc. I think it is probably time to give up on this place, which is sad to say.

Maybe the granola will keep me coming back.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by paterwdb
I'm on probably my 10th stay at the Conrad Saint James. I have to admit, I'm starting to wonder if the loyalty to the property is worth it. The location and the lounge are definitely the plusses. But it is starting to lose it a bit on the soft product, and I'm so tired of the upgrade games.

I booked with cash this stay - a King Executive and a King Deluxe. For the King Executive, I was told I was upgraded, but it is on the 1st floor, with a beautiful view of a dumpster, which I get to hear them empty every morning. For the King Deluxe, the "upgraded" to a Twin Executive - I can't imagine how they figured this was an upgrade. I'm Diamond, so "Executive" means nothing, as the rooms are no larger, and I already have lounge access. And I guess I could have complained about the room and view, but I checked in around 1pm from an overnight flight, and it just didn't seem worth it. Something about having to fight to be treated well just tells me it probably isn't a fit anymore.

Noticing small cutbacks as well - not huge things, but where there used to be overnight shoe shine, you now find a shoe mit. Molton Brown toiletries are gone, this is the third room I've had where the speakers in the bathroom don't work. Used to get a welcome amenity that was somewhat impressive, this time I got four pieces of chocolate, etc. I think it is probably time to give up on this place, which is sad to say.

Maybe the granola will keep me coming back.
Granola at Bankside is identical to here, at least it was when I stayed a while back.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wizla
Granola at Bankside is identical to here, at least it was when I stayed a while back.
wizla, you must be the unofficial granola expert of FT, given your broad coverage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.