Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Conrad London St. James {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Conrad London St. James {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by wizla
Granola at Bankside is identical to here, at least it was when I stayed a while back.
Definitely the same on my last visit. And I do thank wizla for first calling my attention to that prize breakfast treat.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by whimsey21

Definitely the same on my last visit. And I do thank wizla for first calling my attention to that prize breakfast treat.
I haven't stayed at the Conrad in a while so can't recall about their granola ... but Bankside claim that theirs is house-made. Do both hotels have the same management/owner?
Old May 9, 2019, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
I haven't stayed at the Conrad in a while so can't recall about their granola ... but Bankside claim that theirs is house-made. Do both hotels have the same management/owner?
They are both Supreme/Splendid hotels IIRC
Old May 9, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by chrism20
They are both Supreme/Splendid hotels IIRC
I haven't stayed at the Conrad recently (stayed much more in it's IC guise) but even the uniforms are similar to those at Bankside
Old May 10, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
wizla, you must be the unofficial granola expert of FT, given your broad coverage
Haha, I don’t actually eat it that often due to the high sugar content but yes I have tried it at many hotels

Here’s the top five -

Hilton Bankside
Conrad st James
Hilton tower bridge
Hilton Northampton

Jeez it’s sad that I have this knowledge.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Haha, I don’t actually eat it that often due to the high sugar content but yes I have tried it at many hotels

Here’s the top five -

Hilton Bankside
Conrad st James
Hilton tower bridge
Hilton Northampton

Not questioning your math skills..
Old May 10, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D

Here’s the top five -

Hilton Bankside
Conrad st James
Hilton tower bridge
Hilton Northampton

Definitely agree with 1 & 3 - though, until I read this, I never had any urge to visit Northampton...
Old May 11, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
Definitely agree with 1 & 3 - though, until I read this, I never had any urge to visit Northampton...
Yep I found Northampton to be a little grim but the Hilton is actually okay, great breakfast...they serve the granola in these china boats with yogurt and strawberries.....it works well.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:13 pm

Well, my flight is arriving at 8:00am in LHR. Even with a long trek into the city, I imagine I will be far too early for a check in. Any recommendations for a relaxed way to kill a few hours nearby? I'm sure the hotel will hold our luggage, but I just did not want to get right into sight seeing and such since we will be jet lagged.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by ne0ven0m
Well, my flight is arriving at 8:00am in LHR. Even with a long trek into the city, I imagine I will be far too early for a check in. Any recommendations for a relaxed way to kill a few hours nearby? I'm sure the hotel will hold our luggage, but I just did not want to get right into sight seeing and such since we will be jet lagged.
Hi,

You could ask about checking in early or see if a room can be made available earlier than standard check in times . I have had no expectation of rooms being available but was surprised and delighted to hsve 9am check ins at Hilton Dublin and Conrad Hong kong

You are not too far away from St James Park ( on a nice day)

Also the National Gallery ( Trafalgar Square) or Imperial War museum ( Churchill rooms ) are close by as well as the houses of Parliament ( then cross the river and walk along the thames for the london eye and the aquarium

From trafalgar square it is a short walk to Covent garden or Picaddilly circus
Even walking in the parks I felt helped with the jet lag after an overnight flight
Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jun 10, 2019 at 12:34 pm
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:29 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Just chill in the lounge if you have access
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I would go straight to the hotel and at least try to check-in. Similar to the above I've had good experiences checking in early at various Hilton's across Europe and Asia. Especially if you have status, if the room is ready you will usually get it.

Even if a room isn't ready yet, you can at least get an idea of how long it will be. "Come back in an hour" means you can park it in the lounge or a nearby coffeeshop for a bit, while "come back at 3pm" means you can look for something less local to do.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
I had a similar arrival time this week, and was able to get a room upon arrival. I did respond to the welcome email sent a week or so in advance with my anticipated arrival time. Plenty to do in the area, as has been noted - from parks to changing of the guard at 11:00 to Westminster Abbey. Would highly recommend the newish upstairs area at the latter. Interesting items on display, but I really could have spent hours admiring (in awe of) the main level from above.

Side note on the Abbey - big thrill finding the tomb of a great .... great uncle there!!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:38 pm

Had a great stay here last week. Started off on the wrong foot with some minor irritations: they did not reflect my new Diamond status I had held for 2 months, and gave me a Gold welcome letter. I asked them to check again, and they saw my status had changed. Arrived at hotel at 10:30am, and even though I e-mailed manager ahead of time in response to that "what can we do to make your stay great" request that I would arrive at 9:00am, the room wasn't ready until 1:30pm. Killed time while jet lagged in executive lounge.

After that, things went smoothly and I enjoyed my time. Got one level upgrade from Superior King to Deluxe King. Very comfortable bed and pillows, nice rain style shower although it was easy for water to spill out because there was no elevated notch or lip. Found a complimentary white wine and hand written apology from manager next day for the check in troubles. I appreciate the customer service from everyone I came across: front desk staff, bell hops, servers, and room service delivery guy. One desk agent even recognized me by name on the streets while I was out and about.

I only enjoyed breakfast buffet on one day in lounge, never made it to restaurant. It was solid though not spectacular. It was still crowded around 9:00am, but open tables were available. I was especially thankful for the small sodas and lemonades available there all day; as my wife and I grabbed one each time we came back to the hotel. Took advantage of their 24 hour room service multiple times. Quite impressed by the tastiness of the food (we're foodie snobs), especially the sticky toffee pudding. We also decided last minute to enjoy afternoon tea at in house restaurant, Emmeline's Lounge. There was literally no one else there that afternoon, and we just walked up to ask. They were very accommodating even though it was just the two of us. While not on the level of the previous afternoon tea I've had in London (Fortnum & Mason), it was a solid experience with pretty tasty desserts.

Location was great, half a mile walk from Buckingham Palace and Westminster Abbey. There were various bus routes nearby, and a tube station right in front of the hotel. Upon checkout, I was able to talk to the same desk agent I had developed some rapport with, and was able to get the stuffed animal bulldog to start my Conrad collection.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:30 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 6/29 - 7/1

Location: The location worked very well for my purposes. First of all, if you're using LGW it's a mere 30-35 minutes to get here which is great. Literally across the street is the St. James Park Tube (District/Circle Lines) Station though do note on weekdays from 0700-0930 this station is discharge only (I learned that the hard way). Nearby is a Costa Coffee, Pret a Manger, a few pubs and an off license. From here within a mile are the palace, St. James Park, Green Park, Hyde Park, Horse Guards, the National Gallery, the National Portrait Gallery and Trafalger Square. Like I said, great location.

Hotel: The hotel is small in a way that gives it a nice boutique feel. It's a mere 6 floors (7 if we count the American way) with a basement. The lobby has a small bar and a restaurant called the Blue Boar. There's a lounge on the first floor and a fitness center as well that I didn't use. The elevators are small in that European hotel way but thankfully there were never any long waits for them.

Check In: My father and I arrived at 12:30 and were told we could wait for a room upgrade or take a standard room right away. As we were gross and tired we opted for the latter. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Room: The room was pretty small especially for two people but at least nice. The beds were about as narrow as you can get and close together in a way Europeans seem to like. We also had a small desk, large TV with a lot of channels including American, British, French and Middle Eastern ones and a very nice bathroom with tub and shower. There was also a small closet and mini bar. Wifi worked well and there were outlets and USB ports near the beds.

Lounge: The lounge is open from 0700-2200 with Breakfast: M-F 0700-1030 and Sa-Su: 0700-1100. There's also Tea from 1500-1700 and Drinks/Canapes from 1730-1930 with drinks staying out until 2000. It's is a pleasant space with another smaller, not pictured, seating area, a conference room that can be rented, two bathrooms and a shower and a couple of TVs and very good service from the attendants. Tea was fairly limited, a few sandwiches and some scones and pastries while Canapes were mainly cold cuts and cheese plus some nibbles. Alcohol selection was pitiful. Breakfast was scrambled eggs, American bacon, sausage, hash browns, cereal, pastries, yogurt, fruit, cold cuts and cheese and smoked salmon. Some items have to be ordered from the staff including toast.

Breakfast

Tea

Canapes

Other: As a Diamond I also could have had the buffet breakfast in the restaurant or for 4 Pounds extra, room service. I will note there were a couple of annoyances. Staff came by several times a day to check the mini bar. My father was trying to rest and they kept disturbing him. Also, we only had two towels and it took two calls to get more. Then on the second day the maid just took all the extra towels and gave us only one. But that's it for problems.

Overall I really liked this hotel and think it'll be my new Central London go to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.