Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2013, 5:11 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
You must not stay in hotels especially International hotels very often.
Yeah, you are right, I only have 130 nights this last year, 90% in International hotels.

Yes, hotels can and would charge you long after you check out. That is when the hotel could not reconcile its books, sometimes Months after you already checked out.

Last year I was charged by an IHG property 5 months after I checked out, on an award night stay using a Chase annual free night cert. It took a month to sort this out - hotel is in Italy, does not know how to process the billing on the reservation because it is not the customary usage of Points. So they have no idea how to bill Priority Club the IHG's loyalty program.
I go to my reservation in the "Rate Details" and it states:

"Room: KING BEACH VILLA
DATE PRICE PER NIGHT TOTAL (USD)

Room Subtotal: 300,000 points
Total for stay: 300,000 points
Rules & Restrictions
Taxes
Additional tax, surcharges, and service fees may apply. Any incidental charges are the responsibility of the guest. (Full details in Terms & Conditions.)

8.00 % per room per night
10.00 % per room per night
$8.00 USD per person per night"

I have agreed to pay 300,000 points, $8 per person per night, and incidentals. I have not agreed to pay a cash rate for the room, rack rate or not, and as such they can not charge my credit card for such. Hilton is a US company, I booked it via their US portal, they are subject to US laws, and no US law allows them to charge my card for something I didn't authorize.

If you read hotel forum and pay enough attention, such charges are nothing unusual - you do leave your CC info at the hotels, dont you? So just like the rental car industry, it is entirely possible AND Legal, to charge the customer long after the service is render. In fact, it may even in the hotel's conditions of providing service in the small prints on the check-in paper you sign... Though I bet no one would ever read such.
Yes, I do leave my credit card, specifically authorized for incidentals, not fictitious room charges.

Ok, I'll bite. Please show me the forum posts where people have been charged for their rooms when on an award reservation (and wasn't a mistake where they couldn't reverse the charges), and not some "I used a 3rd party voucher that wasn't reconcilable", I am talking about award reservations using points from the hotels own loyalty program booked through their website.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by whimike
How did you manage to convince yourself of this? How is a "travel" award the same as a "stay" award? As far as I know you travel to get to your hotel, not while you are in your room.

At many places (including the organization I work for), the term "travel" includes lodging as well. When I fill out a "travel reimbursement form", I include the details of the hotel(s) I have stayed at during my trip in the form. Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, and the likes are called "travel websites" and they offer hotel reservation services on top of other travel-related services.

Also, for me in this case, the difference in the amount of points I need to redeem is 70,000 points for a six-night stay in Japan, between the old and new HH point structure. I just feel like the peace of mind knowing that my reservation is secure and will be honored is much more important than those extra devalued points, considering that my son and I will be traveling half the globe to get there.

Last edited by BonusLover; Mar 17, 2013 at 10:37 am
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:47 pm
In Memoriam

For those of you who are "jumping ship", let me share my experience with Marriott, last week.

Hotel in Nashville, internet SUCKED (wired and wifi) but I did opt to pay the $6.99 upcharge for "premium internet service" which also SUCKED. It was so bad I called and had them remove the charge. When I was looking at my bill this morning as I was doing expenses, it was still there after they assured me it was removed. The number to call for billing questions is closed on Sunday.

I checked out on Wednesday, still no points, no receipt available on line and when I called for assistance, no one there, I got a recording that hung up on me.

I did the on line assist chat and that also went no where.

It was enough for me. Years ago, I was a Marriott guy and since changing to Hilton, I have not looked back, this experience validated my decision.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by underpressure
For those of you who are "jumping ship", let me share my experience with Marriott, last week.

Hotel in Nashville, internet SUCKED (wired and wifi) but I did opt to pay the $6.99 upcharge for "premium internet service" which also SUCKED. It was so bad I called and had them remove the charge. When I was looking at my bill this morning as I was doing expenses, it was still there after they assured me it was removed. The number to call for billing questions is closed on Sunday.

I checked out on Wednesday, still no points, no receipt available on line and when I called for assistance, no one there, I got a recording that hung up on me.

I did the on line assist chat and that also went no where.

It was enough for me. Years ago, I was a Marriott guy and since changing to Hilton, I have not looked back, this experience validated my decision.
Alot of us that are advocating jumping ship/have jumped ship are referring to the magical land of Starwood.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 3:58 pm

I'm curious how much others are trusting the PDF listing hotels with their new categories post-3/28. My wife and I are looking at travelling to Denver this summer and I noticed the Doubletree Stapleton North is Cat 2 (10K).

We're likely going for 4 nights, and I'm <2000 points shy of the points needed with GLON for a currently 25K per night hotel, otherwise I'd reserve something speculatively. I suppose there's not much I can do about it (it doesn't seem worth buying 2K points for $25), but it would be nice to know I can trust that I'll be able to redeem at that hotel post-deval for 10K per night.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by GamingBuck
I'm curious how much others are trusting the PDF listing hotels with their new categories post-3/28. My wife and I are looking at travelling to Denver this summer and I noticed the Doubletree Stapleton North is Cat 2 (10K).

We're likely going for 4 nights, and I'm <2000 points shy of the points needed with GLON for a currently 25K per night hotel, otherwise I'd reserve something speculatively. I suppose there's not much I can do about it (it doesn't seem worth buying 2K points for $25), but it would be nice to know I can trust that I'll be able to redeem at that hotel post-deval for 10K per night.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Colorado.html
Old Mar 17, 2013, 5:06 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Ritz
Alot of us that are advocating jumping ship/have jumped ship are referring to the magical land of Starwood.
At best, Starwood properties are within 50 miles of my destination 25% of the time.

I could do more nights at Comfort Inn.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 5:09 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by underpressure
At best, Starwood properties are within 50 miles of my destination 25% of the time.

I could do more nights at Comfort Inn.
That is my problem as well.

As it is, there are a lot of places I travel where it's a stretch to find a Hilton property within 50 miles--no chance at all of a Starwood.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, I'll bite. Please show me the forum posts where people have been charged for their rooms when on an award reservation (and wasn't a mistake where they couldn't reverse the charges), and not some "I used a 3rd party voucher that wasn't reconcilable", I am talking about award reservations using points from the hotels own loyalty program booked through their website.
The Chase Annual Free Night Cert for IHG affinity Visa card can ONLY be booked by Phone DIRECTLY with Priority Club, the IHG loyalty program customer service dept. The ordinary reservation dept reps could not even do this for you. Each booking creates a unique "case number" to identify such booking, I once was told.

The reservation shows in your IHG account, and the confirmation sent to you clearly states exactly what type of AWARD it is booked, with descriptive wordings, as well as an Award Inventory code to denote what inventory the award is coming from.

While AMEX does not offer annual free night cert for HHonor, its competitor Citi, does. On top of that, unofficial words are, Citi's current Cat 1 to 7 cert from the Reserve card would change to become Cat 1 to 10 cert to match the new award structure, while AMEX so far stays Numb on the future of AXON.

Oh, Citi's annual free night cert also must be booked over the phone, not online on HHonor site, fyi.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 17, 2013 at 6:08 pm
Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BonusLover
At many places (including the organization I work for), the term "travel" includes lodging as well. When I fill out a "travel reimbursement form", I include the details of the hotel(s) I have stayed at during my trip in the form. Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, and the likes are called "travel websites" and they offer hotel reservation services on top of other travel-related services.

Also, for me in this case, the difference in the amount of points I need to redeem is 70,000 points for a six-night stay in Japan, between the old and new HH point structure. I just feel like the peace of mind knowing that my reservation is secure and will be honored is much more important than those extra devalued points, considering that my son and I will be traveling half the globe to get there.
My point exactly. I would rather have a reservation I do not need to worry about instead of having the rug pulled out under me when I arrive the hotel. Or worse, bad things happen much later. Not worth the monitoring and potential hassle to me, and apparently you seem to feel the same way.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by GamingBuck

Hmm... I don't think I get your drift with the trip advisor link. I had already checked out the TA reviews and they were positive overall, and based on room rates 10k seems a good value.

The current 25K is steep (I'd book a different 25k property if I had the points), but like I said there's not much I can do... I'd just like to get a feel for how likely it is that 10k is correct.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
If a hotel charges your CC without your authorization they are in breach of their merchant agreement and it would be reversed immediately upon calling your CC.
You will find that the registration form which you sign on check-in has wording to the effect of "I agree that my personal liability to pay for the room is not waived and I authorize the credit card I have placed on file to be charged for the room rate and any additional charges in the event that another party fails to pay for the room as arranged".

While it might be reversed on calling your card company, it would be a temporary reversal and there is a possibility it would be reapplied when the hotel sends the card company a copy of the agreement you signed.

I do not have any evidence of this ever being relied on, but all I have ever said is that people taking the risk (and it is a risk) of booking rewards more than a year out need to be aware that they might end up with a lot of personal inconvenience. Equally, they might not. It is a risk.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by birdyy
I'm going to get to the bottom of this, if it kills me. I'm usually successful at these things and I will report back if I get an answer.
So did you get anywhere yet?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:39 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by stifle
You will find that the registration form which you sign on check-in has wording to the effect of "I agree that my personal liability to pay for the room is not waived and I authorize the credit card I have placed on file to be charged for the room rate and any additional charges in the event that another party fails to pay for the room as arranged".
Perhaps, but my rate is listed as 300,000 points. That is what I would be liable for.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
Sorry, misread the post. Deleted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.