Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by mareh
Has anyone has gotten a "definitive" answer from a higher up source as to whether or not we can book an award more than a year out, since different reps are giving different answers? (I know an AXON is probably limited to one year.)
Well, the answer is yes, they can be booked, many of us have.

The question is whether it will be honored. I called HHonors and told them of my reservation late next year, they looked at it and told me if I have a confirmed reservation it will be honored.

It would be nice to get this in writing but not sure how to go about that.

There are plenty of people in this thread that will tell you it won't be honored, but none of them have any experience of awards not being honored.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by whimike
Well, the answer is yes, they can be booked, many of us have.

The question is whether it will be honored. I called HHonors and told them of my reservation late next year, they looked at it and told me if I have a confirmed reservation it will be honored.

It would be nice to get this in writing but not sure how to go about that.

There are plenty of people in this thread that will tell you it won't be honored, but none of them have any experience of awards not being honored.
That's true, I should have said honored instead of booked.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 3:19 pm

Starting to "panic" a little and want to book rooms with points before the change. Any ideas, in the US, where I can get the best value for points? I've already booked a hotel in NY for 5 nights using fewer points that I would have for 2 nights after the change. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:21 am

Regarding plus 1 year bookings

For what its worth - I spent well over an hour on the phone yesterday with HHonors re: bookings past 1 year. I was "lucky" enough to win a 7 night stay in the contest last October, and received 7 one night award certs, valid for one year from date of issue.

I actually called in to burn points through an axon award starting 3/24/2014 - the woman on the diamond desk specifically said she could do it, but that likely I would arrive in Tokyo without a valid certificate, and hence a reservation that hasn't been paid for. I said thank you, hung up, and then got scared about my 7 night certificates (which I was also planning on burning in the same trip end of march next year).

Called, spoke to the 1st level support, said there was nothing they could do, could not be extended. Spoke with supervisor, who said they absolutely never extend these certificates. He told me if I made a booking past the expiry date, that I would arrive at the hotel with an invalid certificate; i.e., the room wouldn't be paid for.

As I absolutely can't use these certificates this year, and have paid a far amount of tax to receive them, he sent me up another level higher in HHonors, and am waiting to see if they will extend them for me; the supervisor said it was a waste of both of our time, as they simply never do it.

Point being, regardless of what happens to my e-certs, both the woman at the diamond desk and the supervisor at HHonors both told me that if I made a booking past 365 days, it would probably be a big problem. The woman at the diamond desk WOULD make a booking if the arrival date was within the expiration date.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Just book a (dummy if need be) non-AXON reservation for which UR points short. IIRC it will sell exact odd amounts up to 30 or 40K at 1cpp vs. 1.25cpp for buying 'em by the thousand separately. Then cancel in a few hours & call to book your AXON! This system worked fine for me in early March. I even got 6 points per $ for charging the points purchase to my HH Amex!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by raoul78
For what its worth - I spent well over an hour on the phone yesterday with HHonors re: bookings past 1 year. I was "lucky" enough to win a 7 night stay in the contest last October, and received 7 one night award certs, valid for one year from date of issue.

I actually called in to burn points through an axon award starting 3/24/2014 - the woman on the diamond desk specifically said she could do it, but that likely I would arrive in Tokyo without a valid certificate, and hence a reservation that hasn't been paid for. I said thank you, hung up, and then got scared about my 7 night certificates (which I was also planning on burning in the same trip end of march next year).

Called, spoke to the 1st level support, said there was nothing they could do, could not be extended. Spoke with supervisor, who said they absolutely never extend these certificates. He told me if I made a booking past the expiry date, that I would arrive at the hotel with an invalid certificate; i.e., the room wouldn't be paid for.

As I absolutely can't use these certificates this year, and have paid a far amount of tax to receive them, he sent me up another level higher in HHonors, and am waiting to see if they will extend them for me; the supervisor said it was a waste of both of our time, as they simply never do it.

Point being, regardless of what happens to my e-certs, both the woman at the diamond desk and the supervisor at HHonors both told me that if I made a booking past 365 days, it would probably be a big problem. The woman at the diamond desk WOULD make a booking if the arrival date was within the expiration date.
I appreciate your post! I guess the main question is is whether they would honor a VIP reservation (whatever they are calling a GLON now) since those don't come with a certificate.

Last edited by mareh; Mar 25, 2013 at 10:13 am
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:31 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by mareh
I appreciate your post! I guess the main question is is whether they would honor a VIP reservation (whatever they are calling a GLON now) since those don't come with a certificate.
I don't see how they could refuse to honor it. You have a confirmed reservation which was made in good faith. The fact that it is +12 months away is immaterial.
Reservations that require certs are a different story.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:53 pm

Sorry if this was covered previously, but what will happen to the 2 FWN awarded with the Citibank HH Visa card? The certificate says up to category 7 - will the current category 7 (soon to be 10) be honored after March 28?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, Avis, United
So, I'm getting news of this devaluation just now. I'd like to book while I can.

Is this the site to see the changes in points needed?:
http://hhonorspointssearchtool.com

I'm not finding any differences in points required for the sites I've looked up?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Yes, that's the site - it shows you the post-31/3 points required, complete with seasonal variation. For current points just do a normal HHonors points search - some may be better/same post 31/3/13, but many will be worse!
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:53 pm

This is the inevitable result of "earning" points for cable TV, credit card purchases, meals, etc, etc, etc....
Loyalty rewards programs are "supposed" to reward loyalty, duh!
I actually STAY at Hilton properties. It really steams me to have the rewards diluted because there are billions of points outstanding for non-hotel purchases.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:30 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
30k left :/
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
IHG free internet for all elites....
Will HH pick this up?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
HH already gives free Internet to gold and up, same as ICHG will be from July.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by dil345
Starting to "panic" a little and want to book rooms with points before the change. Any ideas, in the US, where I can get the best value for points? I've already booked a hotel in NY for 5 nights using fewer points that I would have for 2 nights after the change. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
How far are you willing to go? I booked the Conrad in HK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.