Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors: Double points in 2013 Q1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honors: Double points in 2013 Q1

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
If you think about it the VS thing really does hurt the Hampton brand. I would say 50% of the time I can choose between Hampton and HG with very little price difference. As long as my preferrence is points/fixed miles I will choose HG every time (plus the better breakfast/2 drinks).
Old Dec 23, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
What is a "Hampton"?

Oh I remember now.... I used to stay there once in a while when BMI was a partner and gave 1000 miles per night up to 3 nights. Those days are long gone and so am I.

SG
Old Dec 23, 2012, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by Snow Goose
With VS you get 1000 miles per stay (baseline) or 2000 miles per stay if you select double airline miles, choose fixed miles, and stay in HGI or higher categories. If you do mostly one-night stays in HGI or full service hotels, it is equivalent to 4k (2k VS = 4k Hilton) HHonors points per stay on top of regular point earnings and top tier amenities. In this case the promo adds an additional 2k Hhonors per stay, which works well if you pay less than $200 per night and typically do one night stays.

SG

VS... Do the miles there expire? Is it worth to sign-up with them?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by holtju2
1. Folio less than $200 - Double Miles and VS as your DD Fixed Partner
Shouldn't the breakeven point here be $133.33? By choosing Double Miles and Fixes miles you're sacrificing the opporunity of double points (10 points per dollar) and extra points as your double dip partner (5 points), so anything more than $133.33 and you'd be giving up more than 2,000 points.

Also need to take into account that VS miles have to be transferred to HHonors points in increments of 5,000.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Jabarie MacQuarrie
Shouldn't the breakeven point here be $133.33? By choosing Double Miles and Fixes miles you're sacrificing the opporunity of double points (10 points per dollar) and extra points as your double dip partner (5 points), so anything more than $133.33 and you'd be giving up more than 2,000 points.

Also need to take into account that VS miles have to be transferred to HHonors points in increments of 5,000.
15 X 133 = 1995 HH

vs.

2K VS = 4000 HH

You would earn the same base points 1330 + Diamond amenity of 1000 in either case.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by holtju2
15 X 133 = 1995 HH

vs.

2K VS = 4000 HH

You would earn the same base points 1330 + Diamond amenity of 1000 in either case.
Of course. Forgot to double the miles to convert back into points. Don't post while cooking dinner!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 5:13 pm

[QUOTE=IggySD;19910400]For everyone considering switching their earning style to VS miles keep in mind that you need a minimum of 10k miles to switch, earning you 20k HH points. So if you have less than 5 Hilton stays coming up those VS miles are just going to be sitting there for awhile.[/QUOTE]

true. Unless you have some miles sitting there to already combine these with.^ It's a great promo to top off the last miles promo hhonors had (as long as your stays are participating).
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Snow Goose
With VS you get 1000 miles per stay (baseline) or 2000 miles per stay if you select double airline miles, choose fixed miles, and stay in HGI or higher categories. If you do mostly one-night stays in HGI or full service hotels, it is equivalent to 4k (2k VS = 4k Hilton) HHonors points per stay on top of regular point earnings and top tier amenities. In this case the promo adds an additional 2k Hhonors per stay, which works well if you pay less than $200 per night and typically do one night stays.

SG
How is this any different than HA - same redemption limitations.

One benefit of HA: If one member of your family has an HA Sig VISA card (BofA or BofHI), it is possible to pool family miles (move to the credit card holder's account). This way, both spouses can get separate Visa Cards, pool miles and convert to HHonors points in ONE ACCOUNT.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by diver858

One benefit of HA: If one member of your family has an HA Sig VISA card (BofA or BofHI), it is possible to pool family miles (move to the credit card holder's account). This way, both spouses can get separate Visa Cards, pool miles and convert to HHonors points in ONE ACCOUNT.
I could swear HA now refuses to permit miles not earned by flying to be "laundered" so that Hilton --> HA ---> Hilton is a huge no-no?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:23 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Human nature ‘tis an odd mistress

I was miffed that my first Hilton stay of ‘13 predated this bonus scheme by two days, but was oddly assuaged when I realized that the hotel was an opt-out.

Of course, once in bonus time I’ll go out of my way to avoid non-participants.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I could swear HA now refuses to permit miles not earned by flying to be "laundered" so that Hilton --> HA ---> Hilton is a huge no-no?
Sites like Frugal Travel Guy encourage people to churn HA credit cards so the miles can be converted to Hhonors points - I plan to transfer my first batch of 35k this week.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by diver858

The difference is that you get 50% of the number of HA miles per fixed mile stay relative to VS (500 vs. 1000, or 1000 vs. 2000 if you select double miles). For variable miles the earning rate is the same - not so for fixed miles. Since VS convert at the same 1:2 ratio, each stay during a double miles promo can add 4k of HHonors points from VS accumulation alone. This means that my $130 single night stay can earn about 7k HHonors points after all bonuses are factored in.

The whole point of this discussion is that VS can be a better form of Hhonors accrual for certain stay patterns relative to pure Hhonors accumulation. I happen to have a stay pattern which matches this profile.

SG
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Platinum
Can someone please elaborate and tell me why so many hotels are opting out? It seems every time I see the opt out list is gets longer longer. Also, what does (VS) stand for?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 4:57 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by aspenedelen
Also, what does (VS) stand for?
Virgin Atlantic
Old Dec 25, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by aspenedelen
Can someone please elaborate and tell me why so many hotels are opting out? It seems every time I see the opt out list is gets longer longer.
I presume because they are given the option and it saves the hotel from the cost of paying out points for the promotion.

Whatever happened to consistency across the brand??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.