Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors: Double points in 2013 Q1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honors: Double points in 2013 Q1

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by IggySD
That's the only one I know of, it helped make up for the sad Q4 promo.
So do you feel it is still worth getting the double miles and transferring them back to HH?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:08 pm

Okay--thanks to whoever double checks my brain! I have not done this before so I still just want to make sure I am thinking this through correctly.

#1 Check to make sure hotel is participating-done!

If I choose points + points this is how it would play out.

Room rate for 1 night $98
base points would be 980
double points would be 980
gold bonus would be 245
5 ppd would be 490

Total HH points accrued would be 2695

If I choose point + fix miles this is how it would work

Room rate for 1 night is $98
base points would be 980
gold bonus would be 245
VS miles would be 1,000 points (transferred to HH would be 2000)
VS double miles would be 1,000 points (transferred to HH would be 2000)

Total HH points accured would be 5225

I know I have to wait until I get 5000 VS points before I can transfer. Am I missing anything?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by ljknecht570

I know I have to wait until I get 5000 VS points before I can transfer. Am I missing anything?
10K and then in 5K increments.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: Lots
So do you feel it is still worth getting the double miles and transferring them back to HH?
For me, absolutely. I stay on the government rate, very rarely for more than a single night so my bill is roughly $100 per stay. Without any promo if I did points and points I'd earn an extra 500 points per stay vs 1000 VS miles which converts to 2000 points.

With the double points / miles promo I'm looking at 1500 points per stay with points and points vs 2000 VS miles which converts to 4000 points.

But I also stay in hotels ~200-250 nights a year so it won't be any problem for me to have the 10k VS miles in my account required for transfer. If one stays infrequently there is the risk of orphaning the miles.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2
10K and then in 5K increments.
Thank you for clarifying. It should only take me 5 stays to get to the 10k and I have 12 in the promo period
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: UA-1K MM+, HH Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by boeing727
As a long time Diamond with 164 nights this year, I never received an email from Hilton regarding this promo. I learned about the double points offer from this board and registered from the link provided. I am signed up to receive email from Hhonors, so not sure why they didn't inform me.
Same here. I never receive any promo emails. I've been a Diamond for 7 consecutive years. I'm considering switching to Marriott since they offer lifetime tiers.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
Not sure which to select

So after reading everything I just want to make sure I am following this correctly. (I have always picked double points in the past)

I have about 12 one night stays coming up, most of them in HGI, one Doubletree and one Hampton Inn. (Hotels cannot be changed as they are were I do conferences at) All are about $99 rates. I am better off choosing Double Miles and VS as my DD Fixed Partner. I am gold. Then after the promo transferring VS miles to HH.
Let me ask a few questions as I'm not clear on a few things. How long does the doubling of vs miles go on for? As a platinum member who rarely flies, would selecting fixed miles and vs as my airline be best knowing I Am going to convert those back to Hilton points? Since I used most of my points and airline miles last year, I can certainly use both hotel points and airlines miles.

So what do members think?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, Mariott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Incase anyone hasn't noticed, the link is getting a 404 page not found this morning
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:16 am

Unhappy they must have "figured it out"

I am fed up with Hilton Honors. I like the free rooms, but to get Diamond they now want 30 stays or 60 nights. For what? When was the last time you got an upgrade? All I ever get, if they remember is a free bottle of water and a package of cookies.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by charlottebusinesstraveler
I am fed up with Hilton Honors. I like the free rooms, but to get Diamond they now want 30 stays or 60 nights. For what? When was the last time you got an upgrade? All I ever get, if they remember is a free bottle of water and a package of cookies.
And our choices are???

SPG has lifetime status, all good.
Hyatt, promos are as scarce as a 4 leaf clover
Marriott, I left 3 years ago after realizing as a reward traveler, I was treated like dirt 3 times
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Bonvoy Plat, National EE
Is the link in the OP working for anyone else?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by etsmyers
And our choices are???

SPG has lifetime status, all good.
Hyatt, promos are as scarce as a 4 leaf clover
Marriott, I left 3 years ago after realizing as a reward traveler, I was treated like dirt 3 times
Marriott has treated me well, but I am going to give Hilton a try with HGI. In general, Marriott is stronger with the full service properties. As for SPG, the Sheraton properties leave a lot to be desired.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CO777ER
Is the link in the OP working for anyone else?
I tried, not working; remember you have around a week before it starts.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
It's working for me!

THANK YOU
YOU'VE SUCCESSFULLY REGISTERED FOR THE DOUBLE YOUR HHONORS PROMOTION.
Stay at any participating hotel or resort in the Hilton HHonors portfolio through March 31, 2013 to earn Double Miles. Book now at HHonors.com or any one of our ten hotel websites to get Our Best Rate Guarantee and to earn HHonors Points for your stays.

Book Now >

Be sure to select Points & Miles as your Preferred Earning Style option in your HHonors account preferences in order to earn Double Miles with our select airline partners.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
Question Which to choose: Miles or Points

Now that the link is working again, when a OP is in need of both miles and points, which looks like the best choice for this Q1 13 promotion?

Virgin Atlantic (VS) told me today the double promo is over. DL is my preferred airline but I am starting from zero miles having used them up. Earning miles appears to be a long road since it is going to probably take a whole year to earn enough miles for one basic international ticket since i cannot use anything but a company credit card with no extra bonus points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.