Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2012, 1:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by quincyc
Can anyone else verify this? I'd love for this to be the case .

Quincy
I did it back in June. No hard pull.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:52 am

"Upgrading" to AMEX HHonors Surpass when you already have free AMEX HHonors card

I asked this in a thread on the Miles Buzz forum, but maybe this is a better place to post it...?

I read on another forum/blog that some people "upgraded" their free basic HHonors Amex to the Surpass Amex and were able to get the 60K bonus/$3K spend for the Surpass in addition to the 50K bonus from the base HHonors card. On top of that, there was no credit pull. Anybody else have experience with this?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You could review these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...pass-card.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...onus-both.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...urpass+upgrade
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...us-points.html
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Upgrading Amex Hilton to Surpass

So I logged into my AMEX account today, and see a nice offer of 50k bonus points for upgrading my fee-free Hilton card to the Surpass card. Says I'm pre-approved (of course).

Questions:

1) If I do the upgrade, even though I'm 'pre-approved', will there be an inq. on my credit report? I think I've seen elsewhere that there will be, but just want to confirm.

2) Could I later easily downgrade back to the fee-free Hilton card if I want? I cant see myself keeping the card beyond the 50k bonus points, as the card only gets used for the 6x points for groceries/pharmacies.

3) Other than the opportunities for obtaining status (which wont happen with the amount of $ I charge to the card), and more points for Hilton spend (none) any other major difference between the two cards?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by rajuabju

Questions:

1) If I do the upgrade, even though I'm 'pre-approved', will there be an inq. on my credit report? I think I've seen elsewhere that there will be, but just want to confirm. No hard inquiry.

2) Could I later easily downgrade back to the fee-free Hilton card if I want? I cant see myself keeping the card beyond the 50k bonus points, as the card only gets used for the 6x points for groceries/pharmacies. Yes, u can downgrade.

3) Other than the opportunities for obtaining status (which wont happen with the amount of $ I charge to the card), and more points for Hilton spend (none) any other major difference between the two cards? AFAIK, no major difference.
See answers in blue above.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:52 am

Is this a pretty standard offer? I was deciding between the fee-free and the Surpass card, but if the upgrade offer is for 50k I might as well get the fee-free then wait for them to offer an upgrade. Since the sign up offer on the surpass is 60K, I think a credit pull is worth >10k HH points. Compare this to the upgrade offer routinely made available for Gold-Platinum and I would rather apply for a new card at 50K MR points than take an upgrade for 25K.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost
Is this a pretty standard offer? I was deciding between the fee-free and the Surpass card, but if the upgrade offer is for 50k I might as well get the fee-free then wait for them to offer an upgrade. Since the sign up offer on the surpass is 60K, I think a credit pull is worth >10k HH points. Compare this to the upgrade offer routinely made available for Gold-Platinum and I would rather apply for a new card at 50K MR points than take an upgrade for 25K.
Normally, I'd agree the 10k points are worth the inq... but I'm buying a home soon, and I already have more inq's than I'm comfortable with, which is why I havent applied for the 60k offer.

So for me, this is basically 50k points for the $75 annual fee, sounds like a pretty good deal.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:25 pm

Maybe I wasn't clear.

I agree with you. For a 10,000 point difference I'd rather upgrade without an inquiry. This is especially true when they are HH points that aren't worth as much as, say, MR or UR points. This is different than the typical Amex charge cards that have a 25,000 point difference - which to me makes upgrading pointless, I'd rather have the inquiry.

My question (probably for others who have held these cards) is whether this is a standard or routine upgrade offer? If it is, I'd apply for the standard card and wait/hope for the upgrade offer. If not, I'd apply directly for the surpass card.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost
Maybe I wasn't clear.

I agree with you. For a 10,000 point difference I'd rather upgrade without an inquiry. This is especially true when they are HH points that aren't worth as much as, say, MR or UR points. This is different than the typical Amex charge cards that have a 25,000 point difference - which to me makes upgrading pointless, I'd rather have the inquiry.

My question (probably for others who have held these cards) is whether this is a standard or routine upgrade offer? If it is, I'd apply for the standard card and wait/hope for the upgrade offer. If not, I'd apply directly for the surpass card.
Lol, I read the > as < ... oops.

I've had the fee-free Hilton Amex for over a year. This 50k upgrade just popped up about 3 days ago. Not sure if I could have done it sooner via phone or email inquiry though, someone else can perhaps opine on that.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by lewende
It's not an upgrade, but getting another card.
Are you sure? I haven't received my upgraded card in the mail yet, but my online account number is exactly the same as my old Amex card, but shows the "Surpass" card in the description.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Are you sure? I haven't received my upgraded card in the mail yet, but my online account number is exactly the same as my old Amex card, but shows the "Surpass" card in the description.
I went from the regular to the Surpass about a month ago and my account number remained the same. If it's been a week or so and still no card you may want to give them a call, somehow they forgot to send mine automatically.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
I downgraded earlier this year when annual fee was due. New non-surpass card arrived with same number. It seems safe to assume that upgrades would work similarly.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
There's a link here that will let you know if you're eligible for the upgrade offer.

Unfortunately, I'm not yet I've only had my card for 4-5 months and it says no!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:22 pm

I took the offer in March, received 50,000 pts, and downgraded in May. The same offer still shows up in my account. Any insights if I can do it again? Thanks.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
I downgraded earlier this year and now see I have almost enough spending to make diamond. Any idea if I upgrade before year end and then hit $40k in spending I would make it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.