Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ejs621
Hilton Cancun is no more! It is now an Iberostar.
When the heck did that happen!?!?!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by sk3

To the mods: could you please amend this thread's title to convey the magnitude of this issue? Perhaps with the addition of "Major Devaluation in HHonors Program" or something like that?
Originally Posted by oenophilist
+1
Originally Posted by yoyo
+8 now that my 8 night award stay has been devalued to 1 night.
+1
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by zfxr
Anyways, I would suggest a massive blast to Hilton. If people only post here and do not contact Hilton corporate, no one at Hilton will care. Also might want to write to the "Middle Seat" Column at the WSJ about this. I can say my next few stays suddenly became Marriott stays. Canceled Hilton without a thought.
What are the best email and other addresses to write to?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
What are the best email and other addresses to write to?
I sent my email to [email protected] and [email protected], though I have not yet received a response. I tweeted earlier today and exchanged emails with a Hilton rep, but the exchange has not really developed (yet?) and I kindly requested that the complaint be forwarded internally as appropriate. I've been tweeting and retweeting since. Next up: Facebook.

Anther good idea might be to bring this to the attention of some of the travel bloggers.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I'm still not ruling out the possibility that it's a massive screw-up rather than an Evil Plan (tm) but the chances of the former being the case are dropping by the day.

What if Hilton comes back and says "you asked to be able to use points for premium rooms, we've given you that choice?"
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by stifle
What if Hilton comes back and says "you asked to be able to use points for premium rooms, we've given you that choice?"
Pretty obviously, "How does relabeling formerly standard rooms as 'premium' and then charging exorbitant point amounts for them responsive to such requests?"
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:22 am

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by jasonvr
When the heck did that happen!?!?!
Iberostar purchased the property in June 2011. It has been renamed the Iberostar Cancun.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Did I not say this would happen when the stupid Diamond force change went into effect. This is HH's sneaky way of trying to insert a HUGE devaluation. And the worst part is they do it under the guise of an enhancement.

I now have NO regrets that I've shifted 90% of my hotels to IHG. This only confirms my moves, and now I am simply going stop altogether all HH stays after one more stay. I won't even go for Gold next year. I think it's time for a SPG match or Marriott challenge.

This effectively wipes out the VIP and AXON awards as well at these properties. A HUGE DEVALUATION.

HH, I hope someone from your company comes here to comment. You are going to lose a lot of business.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:01 am

Those of you thinking of jumping to Starwood are in for a rude surprise: they've been doing this same thing for some time at their top-end properties. Gary Leff (gleff) and Ric Garrido (satori) have both blogged about this in the past 2 years.

To be clear, I am not defending Hilton. Their move in this direction is a real negative, and in an area where their rewards rates arguably made Hilton points worth accumulating in lieu of SPG points. Sic transit....
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:23 am

So, a friend at work has been working on a trip to FP for next September, hoping to stay a few nights in Moorea, and was dismayed by seeing no availability for 50k per night. I told him about thispremium room scam issue. He has been corresponding with Hilton Diamond/and the property. Friend is Diamond earned through stays, not that it matters, as I am as well.

First to Diamond--
Hello,

I am looking into booking a reward stay at the Hilton Moorea in September 2012. Can you please let me know what room type at that resort is a 'standard' room that can be booked with points at the 50k per night category 7 level. I do not want a premium room, just a standard room.
Response-

[QUOTE]
Dear Mr. Friend
Thank you for your message to Hilton Reservations and Customer Care regarding rewards.

I apologize I am unable to provide information for reward stays by email. Please contact 1-877-444-9847.

We appreciate this opportunity to assist you and thank you for your continued loyalty! If you have any further questions or concerns, please let us know.

For immediate assistance, please click on the link below for the contact number of the HHonors Service Center nearest you:[/
QUOTE]

Friend Responds
QUOTE]Well, I don't want to book a reward stay by email. I am asking what room type the 'standard' room is at the Hilton Moorea that would be available for a reward stay.

Thank you
[/QUOTE
You would think a 'standard' base level room would be defined for each property.

Response comes from the property directly--

Dear Mr Friend,

Thank you for your enquiry to our Hilton HHonnors' guest assistance, and for showing an interest in the Hilton Moorea Lagoon resort and spa.

For reward stays, you have the standard room reward, and you have the premium room rewards.

The standard room reward level is only available in our standard room category which is the garden bungalow with private pool, and it is on the basis of 5 units only per day.

And the premium room reward is available in all room categories.

We hope these informations will help you.

Should you have other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again,
I've never been there, but are there only 5 garden bungalow units or are they saying only 5 of the garden bungalow units are 'standard'

Friend responds

[QUOTE]
I am interested in September 17-21, 2012. I see the twin garden bungalow (the'standard' room)available for a paid stay, but when I try to book for a reward stay, it states that there are no rooms available for redemption. I am very confused. Can you please clarify?[/QUOTE]
So, the 'standard' room is available to pay for, but not for points???? Or are the 5 already taken wink wink??

Property responds back with--

Dear Mr Friend,

First and foremost, thank you for considering the Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort and Spa, for your next holiday destination. I am very pleased to assist you with your question about room category for reward stay.

The standard room for Hilton redemption stay is the garden bungalow with plunge pool. Also as the Hilton Honors Loyalty program has changed since October the 3rd, only few units are available at the basic redemption level.

However not all travel dates are available as we had already reached the maximum threshold (on specific travel dates), of rooms available at basic redemption level. This is the reason why maybe you may have to book your stay at a much higher points redeemable depending on your travel dates.

Should you need any further assistance, I remain at your entire disposal

Sounds like a giant runaround, but also interesting she quotes an Oct 3 change in the program. So I guess the scam will be they DO have standard rooms, but they 'happen' to be taken on the days you want them. Not all standard garden bungalow rooms are created alike I guess.

This truly is utter b.s.

Buh bye Hilton
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by ejs621
Iberostar purchased the property in June 2011. It has been renamed the Iberostar Cancun.
Wow~~~this is totally news to me! However, I was not impressed by Hilton Cancun and I will never go back there - the hotel looks old and its decor is out-dated. Just think about this: during X'mas time its standard room still sells at $89/night!

In contrast, at the same category (Cat 7) as Hilton Cancun (used to be), Hilton Los Cabos is much more contemperory and upscale.

Bottomline - Cancun is an important tourist town and I am sorry to see Hilton lost a property there, but it's not a big deal to Hilton's global portofolio.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by beltway
Those of you thinking of jumping to Starwood are in for a rude surprise: they've been doing this same thing for some time at their top-end properties. Gary Leff (gleff) and Ric Garrido (satori) have both blogged about this in the past 2 years.

To be clear, I am not defending Hilton. Their move in this direction is a real negative, and in an area where their rewards rates arguably made Hilton points worth accumulating in lieu of SPG points. Sic transit....
But SPG has some very good redemptions at their mid tiers ( especially some juicy cash and points deals). Hiltons generally don't (I don't want to burn 35k points for a $120 room). For me Hilton points only had value at the nice resorts. SPG/IHG it is.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by luv2go
Sounds like a giant runaround, but also interesting she quotes an Oct 3 change in the program. So I guess the scam will be they DO have standard rooms, but they 'happen' to be taken on the days you want them. Not all standard garden bungalow rooms are created alike I guess.
Buh bye Hilton
This is exactly what I got from Hilton BBN, which also quoted the Oct. 3 change of program.

5 of the garden bungalow units are 'standard'
This is true. Pre Oct. 3 these bungalows are priced at 50K points per night. Comparing with BBN's King Lagoon Suite also priced at 50K per night, Moorea has a huge advantage, but, these two deals are all gone now.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
It's quite simple....5 rooms allocated (so they say) per day. Probably impossible to string more than two days together. As an outside observer, I'm just laughing that you people thought this was any kind of program to redeem points. Hhonors was gutted years ago, yet they seem to keep coming up with new ideas to make it worse.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by andysiz
But SPG has some very good redemptions at their mid tiers ( especially some juicy cash and points deals). Hiltons generally don't (I don't want to burn 35k points for a $120 room). For me Hilton points only had value at the nice resorts. SPG/IHG it is.
I don't disagree, as indicated by my favorable FT reviews of C&P stays at LM Vienna & the W Montreal (both a steal at cat 4). I just want people to understand that if you're looking switch to another program and redeem at the ultra-top-end, SPG's program has warts, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.