Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Arizona, USA {US-AZ}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Arizona, USA {US-AZ}

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2008, 6:39 pm

Thank you for the detailed reviews. Very helpful to me in our AZ planning. Is the Scottsdale Hilton the one with the bronze horse statue in front? How did you find the pool to be for the kids?

Sorry you didn't have a good stay at Squaw Peak. We were there when the hotel was full but it was business people and the pool was nearly empty.
Old May 25, 2008, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 3.1 Million AA Miles, Hilton Diamond, *wood Gold
Thumbs down Bad stay experience at Hilton Sedona AZ

We recently had a four day stay at the Hilton Hotel & Spa at Sedona, AZ.

Best way to describe this stay is the new "nickel & dime" service and support that Hilton is now pushing to all resorts. Everything is now an extra fee. Local phone calls now cost more, last years granola is off the buffet and now a $7.95 item on the cash memu, Business center is $2.99 for the first minute, then $.59 a minute after the first minute, wireless interenet now only works if you sit in the lobby, in your room the exact same service is now $11.95 a day. The list goes on and on.

The food quality in the morning breakfast buffet has been cut back and quality reduced. For example the cresonts now offered are now made with biscut dough and somethimes were way undercooked. Hot food was now luke warm, some plates had not been properly washed and still had dried on food from the prior diner, fruit selection has now been cut back to just mellon and bannanas. If you want rasberrys, strawberrys, or other fruit, they are now on the cash menu only. Several other guests also commented on the quality drop off and the selection cut back from prior years offering.

Sanitary conditions in the Spa have deterioriated. To gross to nicely describe here. Let us say they do not clean as often or as throughly as last year.

For some unknown reasons, the maids like to leave the room temp at 63 degrees. The word we received is that their instructions are to leave it at 70 or 72 degrees. However they are so rushed, the maids lower the temp to keep themselves cool, but forget to raise it back to the required level when they finish up and leave. Must cost Hilton a bundle in wasted energy costs.

Pillows on beds seem to have gone to flat and crushed out status. Nothing is firm anymore. We went out and bought special rigid foam inserts to make up for the crushed pillows.

Trash in the halls is not cleaned up overnight. Several times we saw trash left in hallways at 9:15 PM at night that was still in the same spot at 10:30 AM in the morning. That was after we called room service about the trash the night before.

And speaking of room service, late arriving orders, cold food when it arrives, servers who cannot open wine bottles, servers who do not know how to properly pour sparkling wine into a glass, and so on and so on.

Bottom Line: Broad range of service level drop offs. Reduced levels of services and products for increased prices. More nickel and dime pricing introduced in many areas. Employee friendlyness noticably reduced. Your experience may be different. However we noticed these changes and more from last years stays.
Old May 28, 2008, 2:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, SPG LTG, UA Silver, AA Gold, Hertz 5*
Tapatio Review

Just stayed over Memorial weekend (Friday - Tuesday). Suites were excellent as I can remember from my 1st stay at the property from April 2006. Here are some highlighted points.

Checked in early. I had a newer clerk processing me in. (Her badge didnt indicate she was in training). Didn't initially give me Diamond Welcome letter including the breakfast coupons immediately. Another clerk watching her noticed that I was Diamond and fished out the Welcome package. (no big deal). Then the "in-training" clerk mentioned that they have a "Resort Fee" for that includes access to the workout center as she slid a "Resort Fee benefit page into my key book. I informed her that I thought Diamonds always get access to the workout facility. She responded that they didn't but she would ask another clerk (the other clerk had left). She walked down and asked the "trainer clerk" whom agreed with her that I do not enjoy automatic access to the workout facility. (I thought maybe my benefits had changed - I travel and usually stay at HGIs).

Went down to the Adult pool (along with the sun, its the reason I come from Ohio) and noticed that the Right side jacuzzi isn't working. We ask the Bartender how to turn it on and he informs us that its an "Overflow pool". It was a functioning Jacuzzi in 2006.

Now here's where I get steamed. Grab coupons for the breakfast buffet Saturday morning and notice that I am a little shy of them. (Didnt review the contents of my envelope prior to leaving reception area). Sat down for breakfast and told the server we'd be having the buffet. Very nice. At the end the server presented me with a bill. (It seems that the buffet is priced at $19 and our coupons are only for the continental breakfast and worth only $13). I started to protest, but decided to defer to a manager (Every Hilton I have stayed at gives Diamonds the full buffet - within the last year I stayed at Virginia Beach, Longboat Key, Clearwater, SF). And when I was down there in April 2006 the coupons covered all.

So I trotted up to the Front Desk afterwards and met the Front Desk Director whom gave me additional coupons and after reviewing the $120 I spent at the adult pool on drinks/lunch decided to remove the charges. I also discussed with him that the 2 other Diamond couples that flew in would also need additional coupons. He corrected the problem. I then asked about the gym policy and he said absolutely that we receive access.

As I write this and am reflecting on my stay, I am wondering if their not pushing the Resort Fee to collect some extra money. All 3 of us Diamond couples received the same "Resort Fee" discussion about the workout center. We all ended up paying for an expensive breakfast the first day. There is a "Full American Breakfast" in the upper LH corner of the menu that provides 2 eggs, sausage or bacon, hash browns, toast, coffee and juice for the coupon.

Went to Sedona for one day and the termperature is markedly different (almost a 20 degree drop. We wore shorts and were cold. Currently heavy construction getting into Sedona on the streets. It's a good 6+ hour trip with the construction).

Pros
Beautiful site
Adult pool that is sans kids
Adult pool has really nice chaise lounges (huge cushions)
Drinks at "Different Point of View"
Close to Mountain Preserve to walk (its across the street)

Cons
Only Hilton to not give me FULL Buffet
Pushing "Resort Fee" for workout
Newspaper never showed up on my door in morning (thinking that its b/c I didnt get it with "Resort Fee"). They new me at the concierge station after the 2nd day.
20 minutes from Scottsdale
2nd Jacuzzi not working at Adult pool
Parking is tight around the place

Overall - I love Arizona and the nice lounges at the adult pool, however I may try SP next year, b/c I got the impression that they were trying to "nickle and dime me".

Scottsdale Picks - http://kazbar.net/ on Sunday nights. Great wine and very interesting dancing.

Hope this helps someone.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:20 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Any recent updates on FLG properties?

Last edited by seawolf; Sep 24, 2008 at 1:31 pm
Old Sep 24, 2008, 6:17 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by seawolf
Any reason updates on FLG properties?
We just stayed at the HGI --- it's right off I70 and was fine, except the breakfast food is brought over from a resturant next door and it's a bit tricky to drive out of you have to do a left turn and find a place to turn around.

Bob H

Last edited by BobH; Jul 1, 2014 at 7:39 am
Old Sep 24, 2008, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I stayed at the HGI a few weeks ago (350 WEST FOREST MEADOWS ST.).

No complaints, actually pretty pleasant. But it was an in late and out early experience, so not a lot of time to experience the "ambiance."

Nice little Mexican restaurant across the street (imagine finding that in AZ).
Old Jun 14, 2009, 11:07 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Avis First, HHonor Diamond, Marriot Gold
Tuscon AZ

Which Hilton would you recommend?
Old Jun 15, 2009, 1:16 pm

In 2008/2009, I've stayed 13 weeks at El Conquistador and 2 weeks at Hilton East.

If it weren't for the country club at El Conquistador, I would not stay there. I frequently had to deal with miscellaneous phone charges and mini bar charges.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 1:29 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MarciaLF
I've been at the Hilton El Conquistador for a week over the last two New Years for business and it's great. The food hotel has everything -- lots of restaurants, nice pool, spa, horseback riding, tennis golf -- and I've always been treated well as a gold. I'm looking forward to my stay again this year.

Marcia
+1

Fantastic stay. Great staff. Lovely property. Nice upgrade to a casita.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 1:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Justin7525
Which Hilton would you recommend?
Depends where in Tucson you need/want to be, how long you'll be there, what kind of rates you're seeing, who's paying, etc. The 2 'Hilton'-branded properties are on the edges of town, and quite a haul from much of what I usually need, so I've opted for Hampton's on several of my last trips.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 8:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I stayed at the Hampton Inn TUS about a year and a half ago. The property was nice enough with good staff and a really large parking lot. You could actually walk to TUS from where it's located. That puts it at about a 6 mile drive to downtown.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:52 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Avis First, HHonor Diamond, Marriot Gold
I am working at the University of Arizona Med Center which is approx 10 miles away. Is it worth it? Is traffic a ..... in TUS?
Old Jun 20, 2009, 7:40 am

i have been staying at the embassy suites paloma village for the past 8 weeks and i love it, a great location about 1/2 mile from the westin la poloma resort. its almost at the base of the catalina mountains and i beleive about 8-10 miles from downtown.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 5:53 pm
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Bumping this old thread. Any updates people want to offer? Has Hilton added anything even remotely close? I did an on-line search but Hilton kept indicating it couldn't find a match for Grand Canyon
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Hilton Sedona is running a special right now - $140/night with an upgrade + free internet + $20 Food/Bev credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.