Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Arizona, USA {US-AZ}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Arizona, USA {US-AZ}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2007, 2:21 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Is the Dtree acceptable?Complaints seem to be around on other public forums
That said it sounds like they may be renovating it
The Hilton still appears to be the winner
Stayed at the Doubletree Reid Park last December. The room looked newly renovated at the time. Stay was nice. Room was quiet. No problems.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:35 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by warreng24
Stayed at the Doubletree Reid Park last December. The room looked newly renovated at the time. Stay was nice. Room was quiet. No problems.
No foul odors or bathroom concerns?The reviews talk of mold and mildew even in the otherwise satisfactory renovated rooms
Thanks
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:12 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

bumperoo
Old Jan 3, 2008, 6:52 am

I received an email that said a new Embassy Suites is opening in 2009. What happened to the Tucson Airport Embassy Suites? It was a popular hotel for the Tucson Flyertalk gatherings.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 9:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by JayBrian
I received an email that said a new Embassy Suites is opening in 2009. What happened to the Tucson Airport Embassy Suites? It was a popular hotel for the Tucson Flyertalk gatherings.
Do you have the address of the new Embassy Suites? It sounds like Hilton is making a pretty big push on expanding in AZ (not only near TUS but also PHX). It could be in addition to what is already there. I think they are putting one on the north side of town, close to the Ina/I-10 area.

Oh, if anyone is visiting Tucson in the next few months, there is some MAJOR construction on I-10 through town. Definitely check in advance.

I was online looking last night for a property in Show Low/Pinetop (can't find any Hilton properties there yet), and of course see that there's now a Hampton Inn in Sierra Vista (about 90 min SE of Tucson), handy since this is a regular place I visit for work.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Best resort in Arizona?

Looking to book a GLONP2 in Arizona in April. Hoping that as of Feb 1, something will be available.

If so, which would you recommend?

The four I'm aware of:

- Sedona
- Conquistador
- Tapitio Cliffs
- Squaw Creek

Originally (when I was considering Marriotts for this), I was thinking Tucson more than Phoenix. Then I noticed Tapitio as an all-suites property, which would be of interest to us. Finally, I read some great reviews for Sedona - and although it's the opposite direction from what we were originally thinking, I'd consider it if it's a worthwhile property.

Basically, we're just looking for a place with some good pools, a golf course nearby, spa, etc. Will do some day trips to the desert and such... Definitely needs to be a place that treats Golds well - not just Diamonds. An exec lounge would be ideal. Will have two kids, so a place with more space would be nice, but that's not our only consideration.

I'm assuming Biltmore would require more points...hard to tell from the site how many more points, but I suppose I'd consider it if is not an excessive premium.

I know there is a 230+ post thread about Phoenix Hiltons, but it seems to be delving into the various Hampton Inns around town - this is more of a statewide comparison of the resorts.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA and BA
I have stayed at all four of these properties.

I think you need to decide where you want to go before deciding on the specific lodging. PHX, TUS, and Sedona are very different places. It's unclear if you've been to all three places yet or are still seeking input on that primary decision.

PHX as you may know is now a major, spread-out city, with all the pros and cons that go along with that.

TUS is a much smaller, quiet city, not as much going on at surface, slower pace, etc., but much less upscale. El Conquistador is way north at the far end of town. You'll have to drive all the way back into town (and the highway is way out of the way to get to) to get back into town to go eat, etc. But El Conquistador is a nice Hilton, I would definitely stay there again but only if I were planning to be in TUS at that north end anyway.

Sedona is a destination to itself, small tourist town. Sedona is a spectacular natural sight that everyone should see in his/her lifetime. Having seen it, personally, I don't really see any reason to go back. The town itself is (IMHO) kinda crappy, VERY trafficky, a one-street main drag with kitschy shops. The food choices were limited and the food not good at all. The resort was nice and in my opinion quite similar to El Conquistador.

As a Diamond I have never had an upgrade at any of these four places.

If you give some more specific input on what you're looking for, timing, how much driving you're willing to do, how much you care about dining options and other "town" amenities like restaurants, shopping, movie theaters, etc., I or others I'm sure can provide additional feedback.

SEA2BA

Last edited by SEA2BA; Jan 29, 2008 at 4:42 pm Reason: typo and see that OP already state time of year
Old Jan 29, 2008, 4:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon up the way in April can have snow (I have seen the interstate closed between Sedona turnoff and Flagstaff in April due to heavy snow) so keep that in mind. It is not hot at that time of year although can be pleasant--not pool weather.

Conquistador and Tucson are my favorites. I have been upgraded to casitas but some prefer rooms overlooking pool (too noisy for me). Tucson can also get cool in April but also can be warm--luck of the draw. If it is an El Nino year then expect rain and desert flower blooms. We found some ok eats fairly close by along North Oracle so it is not an epicurean wasteland.

Phoenix more likely to be warmest in April, perhaps hot for some. Definitely pool weather possibility. Tapatio cliffs is nice, perhaps a little sprawling -- got nice upgraded suite as Diamond last time there.

Seemed a bit away from the action like all these places--but that is part of the charm.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
I have only stayed at Tapatio,but have been to all the other locations.Sedona is nice,but not warm enough in my opinion.

I was very pleased with Tapatio,it is away from all the touristy areas,but is certainly accessible to everything the metro Phoenix area has to offer.

I stayed there without kids,but mine would have preferred the Phoenix area to the others in terms of recreation opportunities.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
OK - great input on Sedona, thanks. I hadn't considered the possibility it might actually be cool. This is our first significant trip to Arizona (I've done short weekends in Scottsdale for golf only), and I'm definitely not looking for a snowstorm!

I love the idea of Tapatio's all-suites, but I'm seeing some reports here that it's a bit run-down and just doesn't present itself well as a top-tier resort. Did you get that sense there? Is Squaw Creek or El Conquistador particularly nicer of a property?

The only things we have planned are visiting a couple of friends who live near Phoenix and a couple who live in Tucson. Whichever city we pick for our hotel...we'll probably do 1 daytrip to the other one.

And one last thing...I'm not 100% how to explain this, but I hate going to a resort-type hotel in the slightly off-peak season and getting the feeling that the place is half shut down. I know most tourists are gone by April, and obviously I need some rooms available to get my awards, but I really hope I don't end up picking a place that closes a bunch of pools, restaurants, bars, etc. Marriotts are notorious for doing this. So "sprawling" is OK, but "sprawling and 3/4ths of the property is a ghost town" sounds kind of depressing. I hope that makes sense...maybe this is never an issue in Phoenix except in August...I don't know.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Biltmore?

May be more points or $$$ than you want to spend, but if you are looking for the "nicest" resort in Arizona under the Hilton banner. That is it.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
I have stayed at three (Squaw Peak and Sedona with family, Conquistador with just the missus) of the four properties you are considering (and lounged several times by the pool at Tapatio) from February through April with my family (wife, myself, two teens) but my family enjoyed Squaw Peak the most. Squaw Peak is an all suite property like Tapatio, and each property allows guests from the other hotel to use their pool facilities. The properties are maybe three miles apart. Have not been to the Biltmore although my guess is it would be regarded as the top of the heap by a mile. Don’t know how they treat golds or families.

I have been treated well as a Gold with upgrades to the casitas three of the four times I stayed at Squaw Peak and other golds travelling with us were upgraded as well. The sense of privacy and amount of room one gets at a casita is wonderful. You get your own private parking spot, kitchen, dining room, living room, upstairs-downstairs and a HUGE deck upstairs and a pool to share with maybe 8 other casitas. Very nice. For what it is worth, there is nothing wrong with the suites as they are basic ES style and a little worn, but if you get a casita, the stay is much better.

My wife and I were upgraded to a casita at the Conquistador but the casitas were just basic ES style suites away from the action so we moved to a regular room with a balcony and view of the mountains which was very relaxing. Would be a bit tight with kids but it is better than trekking uphill from the casitas. Tapatio is built into the side of a hill so there is a lot of trekking up and down hills and parking is a real bear there. .

At Sedona, my family was upgraded to a corner suite with fireplace and view of the red rocks. The pool area was nowhere as nice as the other three but the outside fire pit at night was a nice touch. Conquistaor had one as well. The ride downtown was bit of a pain but we found a couple decent restaurants fairly close. The other proerties are a ride as well. None of these are in the action, but SP is an easy ride to, well, the real Squaw (actually Piestawa) Peak where you can climb the mountain with the kids. Bring plenty of water and start early. You can hike Camelback as well and get to Scottsdale or downtown in 15 minutes.

For pools, the SP river ranch has it all over the others with the lazy river and basketball pool and other various pools located throughout the complex. The river ranch closes early but the other pools stay open if you are quiet. The Tapatio pools are nice, but a bit boring according to my kids. We felt very safe in letting the kids roam at all these properties.

We used the health clubs at SP and Sedona and the kids loved them. My daughter rows crew so she loved the erg machine at SP. My son was happy pumping away and access is free for golds with a smile. The missus used the spa services while we all sweated profusely. All granted gold breakfast certs without issue and you can use them for a certain amount (say $9) at the restaurants. Try the Heuvos Lantana at SP. Conquistador had the cold and hot buffet, pay for hot, same for Sedona. Standard large hotel buffet.

As for surroundings, Sedona is among the most beautiful places in the WORLD. Have loved it every time I have been – great for hiking and sight seeing. Both Sedona and Tapatio have golf courses. Played at a par 3 in Sedona for about $10 with rented clubs with a bunch of kids and adults in two foursomes. It was perfect for us to play through the red rocks and then get back to the Hilton and happy hour in the room. None of these properties has an exec lounge, so you are on your own, so get over to Safeway and load up and have your own happy hour on your casita deck at SP.

Obviously, I could go on. Save yourself some points. Both SP and Tapatio are category five hotels so you can get a GLON2 for 150,000 instead of the GLONP2 for 175,000. fwiw, you need to think hard about getting to the Grand Canyon if you go to Sedona and if you decide to do PHX, get a GLON and keep the room and drive up to Sedona and stay one night then you can return at your leisure to a waiting room. My wife thought I was crazy to do this, but in the end, it beat packing and unpacking and al that entails,
Old Jan 29, 2008, 8:35 pm

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Southwest
Smile

No need to worry about hotels shutting down some facilities as April in Arizona is still considered high-season, and is, IMHO, the ideal month to visit. You can't go wrong with either Tucson or Phoenix, but DO NOT miss Sedona, even if only for a day trip from Phoenix. It is breathtaking. However, if it snows there, as happened to us one April day a few years back, you may be scratching your head and saying "What red rocks?" Fortunately, it cleared up the next day, so let the weather forecast be your guide as to which day you choose for your Sedona trip. Enjoy!
Old Jan 29, 2008, 8:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
When in April are you planning to come? The Scottsdale Culinary Festival is in early April this year:
http://www.scottsdaleculinaryfestival.org/
I've gone probably 7 or 8 times in the 12 years I've been here, and it is a very good experience. Not sure if the kids would enjoy it but there are many people who bring kids. Many restaurants set up booths, you pay a few bucks for a sample. Kind of like Chicago's Taste (but a bit more refined).

I've been to the two Phoenix properties and the Tucson property you are looking at, for various events/dinners, but haven't been in rooms at any. The Point Hilton Squaw Peak is the closest to activities; an easy drive to the Biltmore area (shopping/restaurants), and maybe 5-10 min from the AZ51 Freeway. Personally, I think the Point South Mountain is a better property, but alas, no longer part of the Hilton family (and changed its name recently).

Let me know if you need ideas for things to do once here.
Old May 23, 2008, 8:43 am

Trip Report on various Arizona Hiltons

I have gleaned so much helpful information from F.T. over the years and have just been lurking. Since there didn't seem to be much recent info. on Arizona properties I decided to add my takes on our recent stays over Spring Break. All three were on points.

Hilton Tucson El Conquistador: Beautiful, well-maintained grounds. Staff friendly and helpful. As diamond we were not upgraded, but were offered breakfast coupons and free bottles of water from the gift shop. We did eat twice at the restaurant and were pleased with the buffet and lunch selections. The room was newly redecorated and very spacious and we had a view overlooking the main pool on the 3rd floor. The pool area is fairly large with a water slide and whirlpool. It was pretty crowded during the time we were there, but we had no problem securing chairs and carrying them over to the large grassy area just beyond the deck. The pool staff had free activities for younger kids to do (coloring, beading) and at one point they even had a free ice cream social! There seemed to be someone organizing pool games, as well. The only negative about this property seems to be the lack of parking. We were directed to go behind the buildings and search for spots (as we checked in very late). Strangely, they direct you past ugly maintenance areas with large laundry totes as you get to the buildings. We ended up parking up a hill in the annex parking which consists of a gravel lot! The area around the El Conquistador has plenty to offer as far as restaurants, shops, etc. We would definately return to this property.

Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak: We noticed right away that the front desk was overwhelmed with guests checking in, but they did have a dedicated Diamond check in person so we only waited about 10 minutes. Even though we had made our reservations 7 months in advance and had a "verbal" reservation for a Casita, the woman at the front desk assured us that they were oversold and would be putting us in a "newly remodeled" room that would indeed accommodate the 6 of us. We were hopeful. After parking our car and lugging all of our luggage into the elevator, we arrived at our room. Literally. Across from the elevator, bound by the vending and ice machines on the outside wall, and overlooking.....a wall! If we craned out necks, we could kind of see part of a lovely courtyard. The window had a spectacular view of the parking lot. We called back to the front desk and asked to be moved. They maintained the line that they were oversold and had nothing. They also told us that they reserve this room for Diamond members! We asked for the manager. He said he could move us 4 doors down, best he could do. O.k. We would look at it while the housekeepers finished up and then call back as he directed at 4pm. At 4pm, we called back and said we would take the room as it would, at the very least, be less noisy. The manager said the room is gone! We were livid, but decided since we had already lost 2 hours negotiating and waiting, we would stay only one of our planned two nights and try and enjoy the pool. Although the pool is very large, we could hardly find any chairs. The pool closes at 8pm (rather early for a property that advertises their pool heavily). By 7pm we felt we were being rushed out - the staff started cleaning up the pool area and tried to take all of our towels without regard to the fact that our cell phones, books, and shoes were sitting on them! The kids did enjoy the slides and pool. The lazy river was not so much fun - the staff seemed to have all been on break or gone for the day, leaving the job of clearing out the extra tubes to my husband and kids. In the morning, we ate at the restaurant. We waited 30 min. for a table. The buffet was tiny, pathetic and costly. We ordered off the menu and waited - 45 minutes! As were about to give up and find the nearest McDonald's our food arrived. The food was very tasty but hardly worth the long wait. We packed up and left for the Hilton Scottsdale Resort and Villas which the Diamond desk secured for us the night before on points. Yay! Diamond desk!

Hilton Scottsdale Resort and Villas: Gorgeous, laid back property. Check-in was smooth and they geniunely seemed to want to help us after our last disasterous stay. We were up in our room in minutes, admiring the beautiful layout (calming salmon tones, mood lighting, living room area with loveseat and small table, bed area up a step). Unfortunately, there were not enough beds for the 6 of us. We went back down to the front desk where the manager was ready for us - he offered to move us to the newly remodeled villas for a fee. We negotiated and he dropped the fee (diamond desk had previously assured us the Scottsdale could accommodate all six of us using pts. without extra fees). We used the room to shower, etc. until the villa was ready. The pool was quiet and relaxing with great lounge chairs (thick pillows). We ordered lunch and it was served quickly and was very tasty. Ditto the drinks. For the better part of the afternoon, the kids had the pool to themselves. It seemed quiet for Spring Break - perhaps this hotel is not a big draw for families. At one point, a staff member came out with a covered cart and announced he had a special treat for everyone. He uncovered the cart with much flourish and started serving everyone a non-alcoholic fruit smoothie and bowls of strawberries. Apparently, this is an everyday occurance and the offerings change daily. We walked about five minutes through a parking lot to the gated area where the villas are located. From the outside, they are typical adobe-looking, nondescript villas. Upon entering, they are gorgeous! We were in a two bedroom villa with a full kitchen, laundry facilities, humongous great room with a fireplace and flat screen t.v., eating area, and small enclosed patio with table and chairs. The bedrooms were spacious and beautifully decorated with flat screen t.v.'s in both. Bathrooms were also nicely done. We ordered room service the next morning and it arrived right on time, even hot! The server was delightful and asked repeatedly if she could do anything else for us. Everyone at the Hilton Scottsdale seems to focus on customer service and it shows. We would highly recommend this resort

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.