Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Istanbul, Turkey {TUR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old May 4, 2014, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Istanbul, Turkey {TUR}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:03 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
We always stay at the Hilton Bosphorus. I love that property. The rooms may not be the best ones but when one considers its location, numerous dining choices, one of the best executive lounges, excellent pool and fantastic staff, it is hard to think of a better property in Istanbul.

We wanted to try out the Conrad recently, but as far as I understand it is in the middle of renovations and large portions of the hotel are closed off. I would wait for the renovations to finish (by the end of the year, I believe) to stay at the Conrad.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by StephenW
I've been debating this as well. At the top of my list are the Hilton Bosphorus and the Conrad, but I understand that they are quite a ways from the regular tourist destinations.

When on vacation, I usually take public transportation and walk, but that seems to be a bit of a challenge from both of these properties. It seems like Google Street View hasn't made it here yet so I couldn't virtually "walk" from either of these hotels and see the immediate surroundings.

1. Can someone comment on the best means of public transport to get to the tourist sites from either of these locations?

2. It seems like the Conrad and Hilton both sit atop hills. Is getting from the bottom to the hotel easy or is this a San Francisco-like series of hills?

3. Google Maps shows that Taksim Square is about 1/2 a mile from the Conrad, which is about a 10 minute or so walk. Is this accurate?
I was in Istanbul in July, stayed at DT Old town which was really great. Easy access to all tourist sights and the airport by the tram from DT. Buy a Istanbul card for public transport.

Istanbul is quite hilly around Taksim Sq.;not good for walking. As I recall it, Conrad is on the other side of a highway that may be difficult to cross from Taksim Sq.

Conrad is much further away than ½ a mile; 2 miles is more accurate. I would estimate 30 min at least to walk from Taksim Sq. Hilton Bosphorus has a better location. 10 min walk from Taksim Sq. (slightly uphill)
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DT Old Town is perfect for a first time visit as you can walk to many of the main sites in Sultanahmet, Golden Horn and Galata. While I wouldn't describe the area surrounding it as amazing, it is far from sketchy in a N American context.

The Conrad has amazing views from the exec lounge and rooftop bar but you will be relying on taxis to get anywhere which can get very frustrating. Too far to realistically walk to the sightseeing parts of town.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
DT Old Town is perfect for a first time visit as you can walk to many of the main sites in Sultanahmet, Golden Horn and Galata. While I wouldn't describe the area surrounding it as amazing, it is far from sketchy in a N American context.
I agree with this.

If you are used to major US cities, there is nothing sketchy about the surrounding area. So far as I could tell, the biggest risk in Istanbul is getting cheated by taxi drivers or one of the scammers who prey on tourists.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Agree with this. It's right on the doorstep of Sultanahmet and has a tram stop just yards from the door.

Any first time tourist should stay here - the location for the tourist sites can't be bettered by any of the other Hilton properties. Reviews for the DT sound very good from the linked threads.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by paul4040
Agree with this. It's right on the doorstep of Sultanahmet and has a tram stop just yards from the door.

Any first time tourist should stay here - the location for the tourist sites can't be bettered by any of the other Hilton properties. Reviews for the DT sound very good from the linked threads.
I am going to be the dissenting voice here. While the tourist sites are enjoyable and a "must-see", Istanbul is a huge, diverse city with a fascinating array of contrasts and juxtapositions. As "first time tourists" ourselves a couple years ago we stayed in Sultanahmet (at an independently-owned property that treated us amazingly for probably half the price of a chain hotel, but that's its own discussion) and had a great time. But at the end of the trip, looking back, we agreed that we would rather have stayed in a more central and vibrant location like Taksim. There is just so much more going on in that area and as you step out of your door, rather than just being hassled by a bunch of tourist touts you step into a bustling, exciting city with a ton to do at all hours. So if you like the city feel I would stay in that region.

A lot of this depends on your tolerance for walking. In general, I felt that Istanbul required quite a bit of walking across the board and whoever made a San Francisco comparison is spot on in my opinion. There is no straight shot between the old town and the Taksim/Galata area. The streetcar runs from the old town down across the Galata Bridge and then along the shore to Kabatas. To get up on the ridge where Istiklal Cadessi and Taksim are, you have to either walk, take a taxi, or take the Tunel, which still involves some walking.

If it were me I would stay at the Hilton Bosphorus. It is a 1 km walk to Taksim (which has a subway station that you can take up to Levent and the newer section of town) and about 1.6 km to the Kabatas ferry terminal (from which you can ride the ferry to Kadikoy on the Asian side or to the Prince's Islands). That ferry terminal is also the end of the streetcar line which goes across the Galata Bridge to the old town (and all the tourist sites) as well as the Eminonu ferry terminal (from which you can do the full Bosphorus cruise or go up to Eyup and Pierre Loti).

To me this makes the most sense. It is not right on top of anything but is pretty central to everything if you want to see greater Istanbul and not just the old sites. Personally I have a high tolerance for walking and in fact find it the most enjoyable way to see a city, so I walked from Sultanahmet to Taksim and beyond on numerous occasions.

Originally Posted by zainman
world famous wet hamburgers.
Honestly if you don't read anything else in this thread, this is all you need to know.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:23 am
whl

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
No, sounds like the Hilton Istanbul. The Conrad might be under 2 miles but a hard walk.

AS I have posted previously a friend living in Istanbul dissuaded us (40s healthy couple) from staying at the DT due to the sketchiness of the area after dark.

YMMV.
Is Hilton Istanbul also known as Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus? Is the Hilton Istanbul Bosphoros the one closest to Taksim square?

All the Hiltons in Istanbul are called "Hilton Istanbul XXXX".
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by whl
Is Hilton Istanbul also known as Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus? Is the Hilton Istanbul Bosphoros the one closest to Taksim square?
AFAIK yes
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by whl

All the Hiltons in Istanbul are called "Hilton Istanbul XXXX".
Yes, that is the one.

Then across the park from it is the Hilton ParkSA.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:28 am
whl

Originally Posted by Bowgie
First time tourist should stay at the DT Old Town. Can get there from the airport on the trolley line (one change). Also on the same trolley line to Blue Mosque and all the top historical sites. I've had good stays there (two years ago) and free breakfast as a HH Gold.
Which Hilton is in the Old Town? You mention same trolley line to Blue Mosque - is it not walking distance to Blue Mosque from Old Town Hilton?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The only hotel in old town is Doubletree Old Town. The Hilton Hotels and the Conrad is in the new part of town; quite far from old town/Sultan-ahmet.

Yes, tram line No. 1 stops right in front of the entrance to DT Old Town (stop is called Laleli-Universite). It will also pass the Blue Mosque and Haqia Sofia church (stop is called Sultan-ahmet) on its was to Kabatas on the sea front in the new part of town. The Blue Mosque is 10-15 min walking from DT Old Town along the tram tracks.

I have made some recent comments on the public transport in the Doubletree Old Town thread.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:55 am
whl

I have decided to stay in Hilton Bhoporous. How much is the taxi fare from Atartuk airport to the Hilton Bhoporous? Does the taxi go by meter or do we have to negotiate prior to getting on the taxi?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by whl
I have decided to stay in Hilton Bhoporous. How much is the taxi fare from Atartuk airport to the Hilton Bhoporous? Does the taxi go by meter or do we have to negotiate prior to getting on the taxi?
I can't help with costs but the taxis in Istanbul are all metered.

The Bosphorus Hilton isn't close to public transport so a car of some sort is probably your best bet. Bear in mind that the roads in Istanbul can get very congested indeed, so it can take an hour or more to the city centre.

Finally, I would recommend contacting the hotel directly to arrange a private transfer. The cost will then be fixed and you'll have the security of someone reputable waiting for you when you arrive at the airport. Istanbul is a surprisingly tourist-friendly city and while it has its fair share of con merchants, is certainly no hotbed of rip off activity.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:44 pm
whl

Originally Posted by paul4040
I can't help with costs but the taxis in Istanbul are all metered.

Finally, I would recommend contacting the hotel directly to arrange a private transfer. The cost will then be fixed and you'll have the security of someone reputable waiting for you when you arrive at the airport. Istanbul is a surprisingly tourist-friendly city and while it has its fair share of con merchants, is certainly no hotbed of rip off activity.
The cheapest transfer offered by the hotel is TL385/TL690 (one way/return) for a Merc E Class or BMW 5 series. So, I am going to take a taxi.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:54 pm

Programs: M&M Gold, PC Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by whl
Two weeks ago, I have paid 59 TL on a metered taxi going the opposite direction, i.e. from Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus to Ataturk airport. I think you can get a better fare than this since our driver took a longer route around the Old Town/Kennedy Cd (26 kms rather than GoogleMap's shortest 21 kms). It was a quite swift journey though so I can't complain.

I have used yellow cabs (like those waiting at the airport) a couple of times in Istanbul and the meter has always been correctly put on without asking. Except for the last ride described above, the drivers always took the shortest route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.