Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Istanbul, Turkey {TUR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old May 4, 2014, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Istanbul, Turkey {TUR}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2022, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
There is a huge amount of Russian tourists that could not travel to other countries that are now going to Türkiye for vacation. And, this is in addition to all the Gulf residents that come visit the city and pay those displayed prices on highly marked-up chain hotels so I am totally not surprised of the pricing.

I'll second that! I'm just back from Jeddah, and it seems every Jeddawi you meet has just been, or is just about yo go, to Turkey: or they've sent their family there for the summer. And for them, Turkey means Istanbul: I'm told Antalya is something of a Russian stronghold.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Worse, real estate prices in Antalya have spiked through the roof, seems that while the median price on any apartment in Antalya was probably $80k a year ago, it is now seemingly $250,001, as Russians and Ukranians are buying everything they can to get residency/citizenship.
hugolover likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I'm told Antalya is something of a Russian stronghold.
Have you seen the sheer number of flights from every corner of Russia to AYT? No wonder if there many Russians there now.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 9:27 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

DT IST Topkapi: Average, nice upgrade

DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Topkapi

1 Review | 0% Recommended

Ortamahalle, An?t Soka?? No:1 Istanbul, Bayrampa?a TR 34040

DT IST Topkapi: Average, nice upgrade (25 Photos)

I actually booked the wrong property without realizing it - as I had initially wanted to book the Doubletree Istanbul Esentepe which was closer to stop where the airport bus would stop at Gayrettepe.  This was because I was arriving late into the new Istanbul airport and I knew getting into town was not as easy as the previously older airport.  Since I was too late to cancelled, realizing this only on the day of travel I just kept my 1 night reservation at this property. 

IMG_20221028_124957581_HDR.jpg

Getting from the airport to this property is very difficult if you do not plan to come by car or taxi/shared ride.  The airport bus stops at Esenier metro which is still about a 10 mins ride by taxi.  There is another metro station (BayrampaÅŸa) which is still about 15 mins walk from the property via a rather uninspiring road - along some industrial/office area.  Around the hotel, there is really not much of anything interesting - there is a small suburban area, however this area is mainly interesting for those wanting to buy in bulks clothing for export.  For touristic activities, this property really has not much for offer.  There are a few local eateries close by, but that is it.  For those wanting to use public transportation to this property, it is high not recommended if you arrive after the metro services stops - as usual, using a taxi after hours is for sure not recommended with these drivers asking for a arm and leg for the short ride to the property. 

IMG_20221028_121950530_HDR.jpg

Check In

Since I arrived around 1,30am at the property, there was no guests in the lobby area - and I was helped immediately by the sole agent working the front desk.  I did not receive any prior notice about any upgrade and did not bother to do an online check-in.  It was not the most warm welcome (but this is quite common at other Hilton properties in Istanbul) - and after providing my identity document, I was checked in without any further issues.  I was informed that I had been upgraded to a Suite (with no further acknowledgement for my loyalty, etc).  I was also provided with an information sheet and sent off to my room. 

IMG_20221028_121655401.jpg

IMG_20221028_121659633.jpg

IMG_20221028_121905306.jpg

IMG_20221028_121917405.jpg

IMG_20221028_125054186_HDR.jpg

Room

The room situated on the 10th floor, was located just opposite the elevator.  As expected, it was very spacious - although for a suite, it was on the smaller side.  At the entrance hallway, there was a guest toilet to the right side and directly at the end of the hallways, was a small kitchenette and dining area.  

IMG_20221028_014544884.jpg

IMG_20221028_014549131.jpg

IMG_20221028_014557865.jpg

Next to this area was the living room area with a sofa for 2-2 1/2 space.  There was a large TV in this area.  Being a proper suite, the bedroom was in a separate room.  The bedroom area was well appointed with a working desk (with the 2nd TV secured to the wall).  There was a large wardrobe in the bedroom.  Both rooms had a view towards the financial district of the European side and beyond. 

IMG_20221028_014555029.jpg

IMG_20221028_121347589_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221028_121408241_HDR.jpg

Sleep quality was good - without any disturbance from the exterior nor interior (especially just being across from the elevator.  The bed was just right - and climate control unit worked well keeping to the room temperature constant.

IMG_20221028_014601405.jpg

IMG_20221028_014606421.jpg

IMG_20221028_014615354.jpg

The bathroom area was actually very spacious - with a separate toilet room and walk-in shower.  there was also a bathtub/jacuzzi - which was nice (but I did not use).  The walk-in shower was maybe a bit too big, so large that maybe 5 persons could be in that shower room with space to spare.  The only problem with the design was that the floor was not an afterthought, so after a shower, there were areas were the water will not flow towards the small drain all the way at the other end of the door.  Outside of that, water pressure and temperature was good.  The bathroom also consisted of a double sink area - with the usual Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries.  

IMG_20221028_014611616.jpg

Breakfast

The breakfast was served on the 1st floor of the property.  This was actually quite a bad experience - although I arrived at what seems to be an empty hotel, the breakfast room was full of hotel guests.  Furthermore, the reception of the breakfast host was not the most welcoming - it was basically, getting your room number and you are left to find your own table in what I found to be a chaotic situation.  I suspect that the hotel is being used by some tour groups leading to the number of guests eligible for breakfast.  

IMG_20221028_094703306.jpg

IMG_20221028_094853861.jpg

IMG_20221028_102121249.jpg

They did open a sort of overflow room - but even with this, it did not seem sufficient to accommodate the number of guests.  It would have been possible to have breakfast outside on the patio - but due to the strong wind gusts that day, there was no guests sitting outside.  

IMG_20221028_094855080.jpg

IMG_20221028_094902736.jpg

The breakfast quality - was questionable - although it did have quite a large variety.  For those looking for hot dishes with meat, this was certainly not the place to look for them - hot dishes mainly consisted of egg based and some fried vegetable samosas and spring rolls.  

They did have an eggs to order station - which I did not bother to use due to the line.  

All in all - the whole breakfast experience was far from comfortable and especially befitting a Doubletree property - it was even worst than an Hampton inn standard.  I would say it was more of a 1-star experience compared to a 3/4-star hotel. 

Overall

All in all, ouside of the unexpected upgrade as an Hilton Elite member - which was appreciated, I felt that the value for the price paid was quite poor - with so many items not meeting the expectation especially the service and breakfast situation,  I will not really recommend this property especially for those without a need to be in the area.  

IMG_20221028_094118915.jpg

IMG_20221028_102132853.jpg

1_IMG_20221028_102144550.jpg

DT IST Topkapi: Average, nice upgrade

Would you like to write a review on the DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Topkapi?

No, thank you.
Yes
maverikbc likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 4:52 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
While I only tried two, I thought I would provide a comparison between the Conrad and Hilton Bomonti (full reviews and photos in the respective master threads) - I'm not sure I can truly or accurately say one is better than the other as they both had pros and cons:
  • Conrad - better lounge, better restaurant breakfast, smaller room, nicer service
  • Hilton Bomonti - better bed, more updated room, lounge still nice, poor restaurant breakfast, service less dramatically good than Conrad but not bad
Old Apr 23, 2023, 8:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
Folio on different name without asking

Just want to share a somewhat bizarre situation.

I've made a reservation with the Hilton Honors app for two rooms. It was a one night stay. I did not put a second guest name in the system. Ofcourse, on my account.
​​​​
the reservation was at the Hampton by Hilton Istanbul Arnavutkoy.

At check in, the staff asked for all the passports. No problems with the stay. At the taxi, on my way to the airport I see that the hotel decided to change the name to the second guest. Nobody did asked for this. Also, nobody give them permission to do so. We did not sign the folio.

As a result, I did not get any points for my stay. I appreciate that mistakes happen, so I asked Hilton Honors to correct this.

To my surprise: Hilton Honors responded that they can not do anything and that we breach the terms and conditions. I mean, ...?

Asked many takes again to resolve it, as it obviously is a mistake by the hotel. But nope, they keep refusing it. So now the only thing I can do is start a creditcard dispute and demand a new folio.

​​​​​​Like I said before, I can understand mistakes happen. But I am really surprised that Hilton Honors simply refuse to do anything.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by jongesander
Just want to share a somewhat bizarre situation.

I've made a reservation with the Hilton Honors app for two rooms. It was a one night stay. I did not put a second guest name in the system. Ofcourse, on my account.
​​​​
the reservation was at the Hampton by Hilton Istanbul Arnavutkoy.

At check in, the staff asked for all the passports. No problems with the stay. At the taxi, on my way to the airport I see that the hotel decided to change the name to the second guest. Nobody did asked for this. Also, nobody give them permission to do so. We did not sign the folio.

As a result, I did not get any points for my stay. I appreciate that mistakes happen, so I asked Hilton Honors to correct this.

To my surprise: Hilton Honors responded that they can not do anything and that we breach the terms and conditions. I mean, ...?

Asked many takes again to resolve it, as it obviously is a mistake by the hotel. But nope, they keep refusing it. So now the only thing I can do is start a creditcard dispute and demand a new folio.

​​​​​​Like I said before, I can understand mistakes happen. But I am really surprised that Hilton Honors simply refuse to do anything.
Contact HH via Twitter DM…they respond quickly and work 7 days a week. Email and phone calls are generally useless IME. Initiating a cc dispute is ill-advised.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 10:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Contact HH via Twitter DM…they respond quickly and work 7 days a week. Email and phone calls are generally useless IME. Initiating a cc dispute is ill-advised.
That's what I did directy. Agree with you they almost every time help quickly. This time however they keep saying that they could do nothing.

About 5 minutes ago I finally got an answer from them that they contacted the hotel and the problem was solved.

​​​​
Old Apr 23, 2023, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by jongesander
That's what I did directy. Agree with you they almost every time help quickly. This time however they keep saying that they could do nothing.

About 5 minutes ago I finally got an answer from them that they contacted the hotel and the problem was solved.

​​​​
Glad it was resolved...Twitter DM is consistently the only way to get things handled quickly IME.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 1:57 pm

Staying in Istanbul in March next year... how to book 2.5 days of a stay?

My wife and I are doing a stopover in Istanbul before going to the Maldives in March next year, and we arrive at 5pm local time in Istanbul (Sunday), which then we will head to the hotel. Our flight to the Maldives does not depart until 10:30pm Tuesday.

I would much prefer not to check out and leave our bags at the front lobby (if they allow that), and was trying to figure out how I can stay in the room until 6pm-ish on Tuesday. Are you generally able to pay for 1/2 day additional up front, or is that typically only when available and you have to wait until Tuesday morning to find out?

Another alternative is just booking 3 days, but just leaving at 6pm (second more expensive option). But it seems like there is a penalty on that. I'm not sure if they just would just charge me the night, or charge me the night plus a penalty on top?

The two locations I'm looking at are Doubletree Sirkeci, or the brand new Hampton Inn Sirkeci which just opened. I'd rather stay at the Doubletree since while not a brand new hotel (Hampton just opened up this month), but its also fully non-smoking while Hampton allows smoking in the front + certain floors.

I am (like many others) a Diamond via the Aspire Card, but I know that doesn't always get you much.

Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2023, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by jazzneel
My wife and I are doing a stopover in Istanbul before going to the Maldives in March next year, and we arrive at 5pm local time in Istanbul (Sunday), which then we will head to the hotel. Our flight to the Maldives does not depart until 10:30pm Tuesday.

I would much prefer not to check out and leave our bags at the front lobby (if they allow that), and was trying to figure out how I can stay in the room until 6pm-ish on Tuesday. Are you generally able to pay for 1/2 day additional up front, or is that typically only when available and you have to wait until Tuesday morning to find out?

Another alternative is just booking 3 days, but just leaving at 6pm (second more expensive option). But it seems like there is a penalty on that. I'm not sure if they just would just charge me the night, or charge me the night plus a penalty on top?

The two locations I'm looking at are Doubletree Sirkeci, or the brand new Hampton Inn Sirkeci which just opened. I'd rather stay at the Doubletree since while not a brand new hotel (Hampton just opened up this month), but its also fully non-smoking while Hampton allows smoking in the front + certain floors.

I am (like many others) a Diamond via the Aspire Card, but I know that doesn't always get you much.

Thanks!
If you just walk out there is no penalty for leaving early, just dont tell them.

I book extra nights all the time to get an extra super late check out guaranteed. Either let the hotel check you out automatically or check out remotely the next day. Never had an issue doing this
thirdpassport likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 2:11 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Schnit
Either let the hotel check you out automatically or check out remotely the next day. Never had an issue doing this
Note that Conrad Istanbul doesn't do digital checkout. But I suppose just walking out would probably work.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Sometimes high end properties will let you use the lounge after checkout until a late flight. Perhaps inquire if that is possible if at the Conrad. But paying for the 3rd night is the least disruptive. Amortize the cost over the full 2.5 days if that makes it easier to swallow . There is something to be said for not having the uncertainty hanging over your head the whole time.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 4:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
First time visitor to IST and I have 2 nights - torn between - the Hagia or the Conrad. Have read the service between the two - I guess it all boils down to location - what is the most convienient to and from SAW? They look equal to me.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 11:13 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
if you’re going to optimize for new, which of the nicer Hiltons in the area is the newest?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.