Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Istanbul, Turkey {TUR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old May 4, 2014, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Istanbul, Turkey {TUR}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2021, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
€75 seems like a tourist scam, according to the decision made by the government a COVID test could not be expensive than ₺250 ( app. €28 ).

Could it be that "express" tests and/or those offering "fit to fly" certificates by private clinics are not covered by the terms of government fiat ?

Although testing is (generally) free in the UK, prices for those administered by private institutions iissuing the certificates essential for travel seem to be from £99 (queueing in your car in the car park of a football stadium ), to more than double that amount. I priced a conveniently located, "quick test" yesterday in Manchester: almost £200 (₺2,000).
miss_travel likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The vast majority of clinics and hospitals are charging the 250 TL as mandated by the government, when I last phoned around, if we contacted 10 places (keeping in mind that some of them are large chains of hospitals or labs) from the official list, 20% are not doing elective tests, because they cannot handle it currently (Florence Nightengale and another)..........30 percent have ridiculous prices (Memorial, Liv, American), while 60 percent are doing them at the government suggested rate (250 TL). That being said those tests performed at government hospitals are free BUT there are often not real appointments systems (yes they may tell you to be there at a specific time, but at that time you will queue or wait up to several hours) and you might not get back your test for 2-3 days, which means that it is useless for flying. Of the 250 TL hospitals and labs, depending on when in the day you take it, they pretty much guarantee same day, or at worst next day (24 hour) service - i.e. if you take it by noon for example, you can get it the same day, but between Noon and 6pm, you can only get it the next day.

My suggestion for anyone actually in Istanbul, that does not already "have a place", no matter where in town would be to find a "Biruni" clinic, which is a private lab chain, they have 18 locations all over the city, they are private, fast and clean, with an orderly appointment system, and get you the result within 24 hours.
miss_travel likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miss_travel
Given the new requirement for even US citizens to have negative tests before coming home from overseas, has anyone had experience getting a test while staying in Istanbul? We are visiting in April for 6 days and that rules out the airport test location on arrival. Based on the reviews we have chosen Hilton Bomonti, for now.
There's only two HH hotels in Istanbul that are keeping standards even close to how they were before the pandemic and thats the Conrad Bosphorus and the Hilton Bosphorus. The Conrad is hands down the winner due to a better suite upgrade policy for Diamond and the $100 spend for Impresario programme with double points and double upgrade along with excellent F&B and location.

I would not pick Bomonti over the Conrad during the pandemic and nothing will have got better by April, that's for sure.

Rates are low, I would not suggest using points and moreover, you'd get a much better upgrade paying cash than points. To repeat, book the Conrad on Impresario!
miss_travel likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 8:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hugolover
There's only two HH hotels in Istanbul that are keeping standards even close to how they were before the pandemic and thats the Conrad Bosphorus and the Hilton Bosphorus. The Conrad is hands down the winner due to a better suite upgrade policy for Diamond and the $100 spend for Impresario programme with double points and double upgrade along with excellent F&B and location.

I would not pick Bomonti over the Conrad during the pandemic and nothing will have got better by April, that's for sure.

Rates are low, I would not suggest using points and moreover, you'd get a much better upgrade paying cash than points. To repeat, book the Conrad on Impresario!
The Conrad was a solid choice last month for me. 1 of 2 rooms upgraded to a suite and the service in the executive lounge was great. Really the only difference was they had to serve you food and drink instead of it being self serve. Easy access to and from the airport as well. While the Bomonti was a great hotel when it was fully operating a year ago right now the Conrad wins outright. It's just about the only hotel I've stayed at since Covid started that service even remotely resembles what it was before anywhere. I couldn't believe it when I saw that breakfast was still a decent spread. I've lost count of the times I've been told that I get no diamond breakfast "due to covid" as the front desk receptionist then proceeds to tell me about the restaurant hours for breakfast that I'd have the privilege of paying for.
miss_travel likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sfgiants. I have not had that experience at all as a diamond, I have been offered breakfast boxes, room service and "served buffets" but as a Diamond during Covid have not experienced and Hilton properties where they have tools me that I would have to pay for breakfast in their restaurant. As a matter of fact I do not think that is allowed and is not brand compliant. Can you please let me know which properties are doing this to diamonds as a stove to the FT community?
Old Jan 17, 2021, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hfly
Sfgiants. I have not had that experience at all as a diamond, I have been offered breakfast boxes, room service and "served buffets" but as a Diamond during Covid have not experienced and Hilton properties where they have tools me that I would have to pay for breakfast in their restaurant. As a matter of fact I do not think that is allowed and is not brand compliant. Can you please let me know which properties are doing this to diamonds as a stove to the FT community?
hilton Clearwater comes to mind as the most recent one. There were other but I’m blanking on them. That one pissed me off the most because not only did the not offer anything as a replacement but they gave me a sheet detailing the breakfast hours in the restaurant and it was open like normal. No idea what they did pre covid but that was a pretty big slap In the face.

Looking at the thread on here a few others noted the same thing with that property.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Breakfast is excellent at the Conrad. Perfectly cooked poached eggs. At Bomonti, I've seen better eggs at Little Thief.

It was very busy and with a 15-20% occupancy I wonder how the hotel looks when its actually full. It must be manic.
miss_travel likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond ? TK*E
Booked the Doubletree Tuzla from thursday to friday because I had a flight from Sabiha.
Would recommend, especially if you have a long layover. Taxi will set you back about 60TRY.

Booked King guest Room for 10K points, upgraded to King Junior Suite without asking for anything.
Nice welcome gift also in the room.

Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ulker32
Booked the Doubletree Tuzla from thursday to friday because I had a flight from Sabiha.
Would recommend, especially if you have a long layover. Taxi will set you back about 60TRY.

Booked King guest Room for 10K points, upgraded to King Junior Suite without asking for anything.
Nice welcome gift also in the room.
Other than the location of the hotel which is next to shipyards and factories, the hotel looks nice and has a good price value.
Also, the hotel is close to Marmaray which would allow tourists to go to the touristic spots within 60-75 minutes.

For SAW connections, it's decent but be aware that if you were heading to the airport during morning rush and evening peak traffic, it could have taken 25-30 minutes ( or even more ) one-way from the airport to the hotel. With no traffic, the airport and the hotel should not take longer than 10 minutes.
Old May 25, 2021, 2:53 am

I have an unexpected trip through IST Friday evening...arriving at 2355; leaving IST at 1500 the next day. I am not at all familiar with the location of the new airport. Any thoughts about what Hilton, as a Diamond, would make sense? No need for tourism - just a bed, breakfast, and a little relaxing time. Thanks!
Old May 25, 2021, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by lamphs
I have an unexpected trip through IST Friday evening...arriving at 2355; leaving IST at 1500 the next day. I am not at all familiar with the location of the new airport. Any thoughts about what Hilton, as a Diamond, would make sense? No need for tourism - just a bed, breakfast, and a little relaxing time. Thanks!
If you are OK to pay for a taxi ( not use public transportation ), the Hampton Inn Kayaşehir or the Hilton Mall of Istanbul would be a 20-25 minute taxi ride from the airport. Hilton Garden Inn Atatürk Airport would be slightly longer ( 25-30 minutes ). As you would travel at off-peak times, you shouldn't have issue with traffic and for a 15 hour layover, it makes sense to leave the airport as the airside YOTEL is overpriced.

If you would like to use public transportation, due to the limited amount of buses at night, you could take the bus H-2 to Mecidiyeköy and walk 5-10 minutes to the DoubleTree in Esentepe.
There is a bus at 01:00 from the airport and from the city to the airport, during the day, the bus runs with a frequency of 20-25 minutes.

Also another reminder that if you are flying with Turkish Airlines on both legs and if you are taking the shortest possible connection that you could take, they would provide a free hotel including transportation so it doesn't make to pay for a hotel in this case.
lamphs likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 6:09 am

Apologies for bumping this topic Would appreciate a few thoughts on which is the best option to go with.

I have a solo 48 hour transit in Istanbul next month, since its going to be cold, my plan is mainly to sit in a sauna, steam room and just relax before I ship onwards. I do plan on one day of shopping but other then that not much else, really not intrerested in seeing any tourist sites as I've seen it all before. At the same point if possible I would like to save a few pennies but not at the cost of a good stay. I am a Diamond member so hopefully get a good upgrade. I have seen a few options and would appreciate any feedback on which they would pick,

- Asian Side - Hilton Moda - Near Sea is a DT - from reviews the exec lounge is closed and a basic meal tray is given? Easy to get around and from memory hotel is a little dated now? (£160 for two nights)
- Europe Side - Hilton Topkapi - Seems a little away but right next to a metro but nothing to eat locally? No exec lounge The cheapest of the lot by a lot (£80 for two nights)
- North Europe - Hilton Piyalepasa - Seems to be on a hill from review? A mid way but no exec lounge, seems a good mid way between the cheapest and moda (£120 for two nights)
- North Europe - Hilton Bomonti - Nice hotel and great spa, not a lot around the hotel but taxi's can be used and short walk to sisli main area. Exec lounge was good (£210 for two nights)

Which would you recomend or suggest in order
Old Oct 31, 2021, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by suley

I have a solo 48 hour transit in Istanbul next month, since its going to be cold, my plan is mainly to sit in a sauna, steam room and just relax before I ship onwards. I do plan on one day of shopping but other then that not much else, really not intrerested in seeing any tourist sites as I've seen it all before. At the same point if possible I would like to save a few pennies but not at the cost of a good stay. I am a Diamond member so hopefully get a good upgrade. I have seen a few options and would appreciate any feedback on which they would pick,
I sympathise with the idea of saving pennies, but the Hilton Bosporus satisfies all your conditions, and although it is one of the more expensive Hilton options it's hardly in arm-and-a-leg territory. It's not going to break the bank and its a short walk from the Taksim HAVAIST stop - saving you a mint in taxi/shuttle fees.

The Conrad's just a little swishier, and about the same rate. I don't know if the HAVAIST service to Besiktas is functioning.

If you can forgo exec lounges, the Doubletree Sirkeci is usually much less expensive but it's a comfortable place with good room upgrades. The rub is it's not quite so easy to get to without resorting to taxis, but you couldn't hope to find anywhere better situated for eateries.

Originally Posted by suley
- Europe Side - Hilton Topkapi - Seems a little away but right next to a metro but nothing to eat locally? No exec lounge The cheapest of the lot by a lot (£80 for two nights)
I think it's a Doubletree. It's awkwardly located, which maybe explains the low rates. I'm not sure you've got it right about the metro, and I've no idea if it has an exec lounge - but it would be odd to find anywhere in Istanbul not within reach of somewhere to eat …..
suley likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 9:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Some quick notes from my stays end of last year for your reference.

- Moda: Great option if you can get upgraded to the corner jacuzzi rooms. They don't have a lot of those rooms however. The "tray" they send in lieu of the lounge is terrible. Not the same standard overall as the other hotels.
- Bomonti: Huge modern hotel, had a great stay here. Lounge was closed when I was here. A bit impersonal but great service.
- Bosphorus: Iconic property, feels like stepping back in time. Great hospitality. But very dated. I'd stay a night or two tops in the summer just to experience it. I know they were/are renovating however.
- Conrad: All in all great property. Lounge was a little sad and scaled back but would be on top of my list probably.
suley likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:27 am

Thank you IAN-UK I think you changed my mind, better to spend more on a better hotel. I think I have decided its between Bomonti and Bosphorus. I am tempted by Moda for it's location but with the lounge closed, I am not sure it adds value.

luxtravels Thank you - I did go to Bomonti last September before the second wave, at the time lounge service was done in the garden/breakfast area, I am not sure when you went if they had closed that aswell? When I was there the hotels pool was closed for some works, do you recall if they had a jacuzzi? I know when I went for a spa session there was one upstairs but I am not sure if that was only for spa guests.

I guess its a choice between Bomonti which is newer but not central and Bosphorus which is more central or closer to the action but dated - does have a jacuzzi in the spa from the pics but would seem to have a more personal service? I realised the price is pretty much the same so I guess if its going to be cold outside in early December which place would you prefer if your were going to go out for eat and possibly a little shopping if the weather is fine. Thanks again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.