Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 4:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, OZ Dia, HH Dia, SPG Plat25, MR Plat, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Modo
I have to say Im grateful to this thread for alerting me to check the rate of this hotel regularly after booking. The dynamism of the pricing as highlighted in recent posts is literally famtastic. I booked two nights separately based on previous posts. One of the nights I rebooked twice with the price dropping from just shy of 400 to 195 in the last week. The other night started at 322 to 273 over 3 days. The intervening day's rate was well in excess of 800.

The sensors on anything consumable that moves is just irritating. A line of three waters and two bottles of wine outside the fridge by the desk have sensors. I picked up the middle water noticing the other two had price lablels. I put it back not noticing the sensor warning - wondering why I was only getting one bottle not my Diamond "ration" of 2. I returned 4 hours later to find two smaller bottles of the same brand placed in the middle of the desk.

As others have said the room (mine Deluxe) is small and bathroom layout is strange verging on dangerous with a glass shower cubicle without safety markings almost on top of the toilet. The desk chair is almost impossible to sit on without careful positioning because it is too tight to the bathroom wall - and I'm slim.

OK....at the price I eventually paid!!!
I think the exorbitant early booking prices are due to the seemingly large number of airline crew and corporate guests who stay here. I guess this is also part of the reason why it is near impossible to find an award room here, as they would have been taken up by airline crew?

In any event, if you can snag a room for around AUD 200, I think this property presents great value because of:
  • Great breakfast for gold/diamond elites (lounge/restaurant)
  • Great evening 'canapes' - ie. comprehensive buffet with 4x hot options
  • Golds always get lounge access - although the lounge in evenings can be a zoo
  • Generally good service, especially by executive lounge staff (in particular Benja)
  • Convenient location for leisure and business (albeit a little far from Circular Quay)

While the rooms are small, I think they are functional. Suite upgrades are possible, but must be requested/pushed. I've had around 15 stays here and noticed particular front desk agents to be avoided if seeking a suite upgrade.
Old May 12, 2016, 5:56 am

I find Glass one of the most overrated breakfast buffets in the world.

And for the price you pay the damned coffee should be free. They even removed pancake ordering to cut cost. I mean, FFS, its a buffet, you get full either way and stop eating. Also, why are there even a la carte options for breakfast, and why do these cost money when they already charge a fortune.

Eggs? Yeah they are okay, but its eggs for gods sake. They probably cost the company a few dollars in total. It's not even hard to cook eggs!

They don't even refresh the dishes that fast on a completely full day. The salmon was empty half the time as well as a few other dishes. Hot food options are terrible, the american hash is super hard carrot and potato. Hash browns are gone too. Gyoza is terrible, juice is well.. its juice. Cereal is.. well.. cereal. The only saving grace are the pastries. Without the pastries, this buffet is a complete overrated disappointment.

It's just easy to give it good reviews because it is set up as a posh place with 'good quality' food. In reality, the food is just eggs and juice and packaged cereal. The prices are an absolute RIP with one of the smallest spreads I've seen worldwide (if you take away the 5c juice, eggs and cereal everyone keeps raving on about).
Old May 12, 2016, 6:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, OZ Dia, HH Dia, SPG Plat25, MR Plat, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by mingzie

And for the price you pay the damned coffee should be free. They even removed pancake ordering to cut cost. I mean, FFS, its a buffet, you get full either way and stop eating. Also, why are there even a la carte options for breakfast, and why do these cost money when they already charge a fortune.

Eggs? Yeah they are okay, but its eggs for gods sake. They probably cost the company a few dollars in total. It's not even hard to cook eggs!

They don't even refresh the dishes that fast on a completely full day. The salmon was empty half the time as well as a few other dishes. Hot food options are terrible, the american hash is super hard carrot and potato. Hash browns are gone too. Gyoza is terrible, juice is well.. its juice. Cereal is.. well.. cereal. The only saving grace are the pastries. Without the pastries, this buffet is a complete overrated disappointment.

It's just easy to give it good reviews because it is set up as a posh place with 'good quality' food. In reality, the food is just eggs and juice and packaged cereal. The prices are an absolute RIP with one of the smallest spreads I've seen worldwide (if you take away the 5c juice, eggs and cereal everyone keeps raving on about).
Totally agree that the breakfast in Glass has low quality food and with the barista coffee that must be paid for. The eggs benedicts when freshly made I think are quite tasty though.

I still think though that if you can get a decent room rate, the benefits afforded are highly worthwhile.
Old May 12, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
It's certainly much more likable if you don't have to pay for it!
Old May 12, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
True! Our default line when we run across a less-than-stellar buffet in a property is "At least we're not paying for this." (directly, anyway)
Old May 12, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Fredd
True! Our default line when we run across a less-than-stellar buffet in a property is "At least we're not paying for this." (directly, anyway)

How much does the buffet cost, anyway?
Old May 12, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I stayed there a couple of weeks ago for 2 night and got a Relaxation room upgrade. I thought was an incredibly nice room, and previously I've only had upgrades to the Executive floor rooms.

I believe the cost of the Glass buffet is something like A$42. It's not a price I'd ever pay if I didn't have it included because as it's enjoyable, there is nothing amazing about it. The lack of hash browns and a terrible American hash were two things I noticed as well. Oh how I miss the Hilton Shinjuku buffet, that is one of the most amazing I've ever had.
Old May 12, 2016, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by mingzie

And for the price you pay the damned coffee should be free.....
Stayed there last week and could not agree more ... the hotel is greatly overrated and does not warrant the crazy prices that they ask for.
Old May 12, 2016, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalName
Totally agree that the breakfast in Glass has low quality food and with the barista coffee that must be paid for. The eggs benedicts when freshly made I think are quite tasty though.

I still think though that if you can get a decent room rate, the benefits afforded are highly worthwhile.
Eggs benedict were awesome! However at the end of the day, if your best item is an eggs item by a long shot and you are charging $44 pp, there is something wrong.

Yep, don't get me wrong, I actually like this hotel alot for its price-benefits ratio. The lounge is very nice, as well as some of the rooms. The buffet is just very disappointing to have to pay $44 or even $32 for. i am a very easy to please person when it comes to buffets and was happily munching on the pork/chicken sausages. however, something just didn't sit right with Glass for the price range. The kind of cost cutting that they are employing leaves a very bitter taste, from the pancakes, to the american hash, to leaving plates empty, to charging Gold members with lounge access the virtually full price.

totally agreed!

if you are a diamond it is a good deal. if it was a free or supplemented buffet it would be absolutely great! it doesn't help that i was a gold member that was paying $32 per person even though i already had access to the lounge. you can see how my experience would be marred!

How much does the buffet cost, anyway?
$44 per person for external, $32 per person for guests (regardless of lounge access).

Originally Posted by sbiddle
I stayed there a couple of weeks ago for 2 night and got a Relaxation room upgrade. I thought was an incredibly nice room, and previously I've only had upgrades to the Executive floor rooms.

I believe the cost of the Glass buffet is something like A$42. It's not a price I'd ever pay if I didn't have it included because as it's enjoyable, there is nothing amazing about it. The lack of hash browns and a terrible American hash were two things I noticed as well. Oh how I miss the Hilton Shinjuku buffet, that is one of the most amazing I've ever had.
Relaxation room is great, and can be had for some great rates. Yep, the buffet is enjoyable, but not amazing.

Mandarin smoked salmon was 'meh' (original delicious smoked salmon flavor lost), Gyoza was made by someone who does not understand asian food, american hash flavourless and undercooked, pork/chicken sausage equal or worse than your other run of the mill breakfast buffet. the rest are just packaged cereal, juice and cheap eggs.

As good as the eggs benedict are, they don't justify the $44 price tag that most people are paying. or even the $32 that staying guests with lounge access are paying.

Last edited by mingzie; May 12, 2016 at 6:09 pm
Old May 12, 2016, 6:12 pm

I had a great experience last December for a 3 night stay.

Booked a non breakfast rate and so had breakfast in the lounge. It was a great spread for a continental breakfast.
Old May 13, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
I think the breakfast in Glass has declined substantially in recent times. This seems to follow on from the arrival of the most recent general manager There is the issue of charging for barrista coffee and tea, the alternative being stewed muck from the pots they carry around. I also see a substantial decline in the juices, fresh fruit selection, cereals and yoghurts. It is basically now standard Holiday Inn fare.

When I stay there I now go to the lounge where the continental selection is passable and the atmosphere, at least when I get there, more peaceful. All up the hotel appears to be cutting costs and, although Sydney is a high price hotel city, there are a number of better options.
Old May 14, 2016, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Glass and an Overview

When I made my previous post about dynamic pricing I didn't realise Glass was highly rated. After a two night stay I have to say this hotel did not impress. My observations are pretty much as the same as this thread as I read it over recent times.

1. Expensive for what it is.
2. Small rooms
3. Very unimpresive bathroom/shower. Shower head was not adjustable and water pressure was cr--
4. The majority of the staff are unfriendly - some verging on being deliberatly obstructive on issues like late checkout
5. Lounge is OK
6. Many of the food offerings at Glass are poor. The food is cold and the filter coffee is dire (I can't drink pressurised coffee so was relueved they offered percolated coffee. And then...). The bacon on the first morning was like strips of totally inedible vinyl. Freshly squeezed orange juice? Rock hard rock melon.
7. The sensors on anything that moves and is chargeable is just IRRITATING. It even includes a small tray with water on it near the bed.

Location was good and I was more than happy to walk down to the big tourist sites on Saturday morning before an evening flight.

The bean counters have certainly taken over this asylum.
Old May 14, 2016, 5:05 am

When I made my previous post about dynamic pricing I didn't realise Glass was highly rated. After a two night stay I have to say this hotel did not impress. My observations are pretty much as the same as this thread as I read it over recent times.

2. Small rooms
3. Very unimpresive bathroom/shower. Shower head was not adjustable and water pressure was cr--
4. The majority of the staff are unfriendly - some verging on being deliberatly obstructive on issues like late checkout
5. Lounge is OK
6. Many of the food offerings at Glass are poor. The food is cold and the filter coffee is dire (I can't drink pressurised coffee so was relueved they offered percolated coffee. And then...). The bacon on the first morning was like strips of totally inedible vinyl. Freshly squeezed orange juice? Rock hard rock melon.
7. The sensors on anything that moves and is chargeable is just IRRITATING. It even includes a small tray with water on it near the bed.

Location was good and I was more than happy to walk down to the big tourist sites on Saturday morning before an evening flight.

+1, same experience. i can imagine the property was better back in the day. Glass does have a highly rated reputation.. I don't see why at all. But all the glowing reviews are from a few years ago. Sad as its a place I always looked forward to between Glass + Mosaic at Westin

The staff were also extremely unfriendly to us on our stay (a week ago). It felt like they went out of their way to be unfriendly, at least at the check in desk on ground and on the phone. It's probably the worst service I've experienced at any hotel. I think it may have had something to do with us paying a low rate. The lounge staff were very friendly though.
Old May 14, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by turtlemichael
I think the breakfast in Glass has declined substantially in recent times.
Exactly this

When I first started staying at the Hilton Sydney, it was a fantastic place and as a Diamond I will treated decently (I won't say extremely good but decently)

Now, even with a not full hotel, I don't expect upgrades nor good coffee without paying.

That said, I always used to come to the CBD before I crossed the pacific back home. A night downtown before I fly home.

I am much happier now staying at the Rydges and taking the train if I want to hit the city. Easier on the pocket book and bigger rooms.
Old May 14, 2016, 10:01 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

2. Small rooms
5. Lounge is OK

Agree
I haven't been there in a few years now but my stay was very similar to yours.The pricing is outrageous for what they ask
And they purposely hold back standard award rooms year round until close to 2 weeks before arrival dates
Instead of fair market pricing they price as if they are a 5 star premium hotel many months in advance than lower the rate when their average rooms don't fill up
I too as a Diamond was refused late check out and had a room that was in shoddy condition
It damaged my business so badly with Hilton I avoid many of their hotels to this day.
The only positive to my stay was the lounge but many have shared its pretty poor these days.Ill take their word and continue avoiding the property
Westin Sheraton Park Hyatt are all superior hotels even the stingy dated InterContinental who will at least extend check out to 4 PM for Ambassador members

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.