Search

Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Frindle

No, the customer is not always right.
Well when you get to own Hilton one day. The shareholders will run for miles and dump all the stock. Retail motto #101, especially in hospitality, and especially in the USA.

You may not have noticed, but EVERY Hilton has a "We'll Make It Right" postcard in each room. And has had those for years.

Customer complains, Hilton fixes it. Corporate policy. "The customer is always right."
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, OZ Dia, HH Dia, SPG Plat25, MR Plat, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Well when you get to own Hilton one day. The shareholders will run for miles and dump all the stock. Retail motto #101, especially in hospitality, and especially in the USA.

You may not have noticed, but EVERY Hilton has a "We'll Make It Right" postcard in each room. And has had those for years.

Customer complains, Hilton fixes it. Corporate policy. "The customer is always right."
I dont necessarily agree that the customer is always right in the logical sense. But certainly when something ticks a customer off which could lead them to never return again, businesses certainly should do something to at least mitigate the damage supposedly suffered by the customer.

It is hospitality after all, so if properties arent prepared to 'make it right', they certainly dont deserve your money, no matter how trivial they might perceive a customer's claim to be.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Uber or Train to/from SYD Airport?

In a few weeks 2 of us will be arriving at the SYD International Terminal around 6:30 AM on Friday morning, and I was wondering if it was worth using an Uber to get to the hotel, or just take the train (we're getting OPAL cards anyway)?

Same for the return, planning on leaving the hotel around 7:00 AM on a Monday morning.

It seems cost wise to be a wash from what I can tell, but the Uber gives you door to door service, but traffic could make it a much longer ride.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
In a few weeks 2 of us will be arriving at the SYD International Terminal around 6:30 AM on Friday morning, and I was wondering if it was worth using an Uber to get to the hotel, or just take the train (we're getting OPAL cards anyway)?

Same for the return, planning on leaving the hotel around 7:00 AM on a Monday morning.

It seems cost wise to be a wash from what I can tell, but the Uber gives you door to door service, but traffic could make it a much longer ride.
Go for the train as it stops pretty much just next door (Town Hall Station).

Going by car can get you stuck in traffic closer to the hotel because of narrow streets and one way roads.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by OriginalName
Go for the train as it stops pretty much just next door (Town Hall Station).

Going by car can get you stuck in traffic closer to the hotel because of narrow streets and one way roads.
Train fare will be 17.40 AUD pp one way.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Train fare will be 17.40 AUD pp one way.
Thanks for the exact fare, X2, about same as Uber, so that is why I was wondering..
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Thanks for the exact fare, X2, about same as Uber, so that is why I was wondering..
At many times of the day a taxi for 2 people is the same price or cheaper than two train tickets IF you ask the driver to take the non toll route. That may not apply at 0730 on a weekday morning though!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Ive never taken an uber into that area of town from the airport, but a taxi costs about 50 aud.

Either way, the difference isnt much, and you cant go very wrong either way.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by OriginalName
Ive never taken an uber into that area of town from the airport, but a taxi costs about 50 aud.

Either way, the difference isnt much, and you cant go very wrong either way.
According to Uber's fare estimate it was $35-$44 from the airport.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, Hyatt - Platinum
I didn't take Uber from the airport, but I had issues trying to get an Uber to pick me up at the Hilton last month. My ride was accepted but then I watched the car drive around in circles and then cancel. The Hilton employees told me that Uber in Sydney isn't great and that I wasn't the only person to have issues that day. I ended up just having the hotel get me a taxi which worked fine - the only reason I wanted to use Uber instead of a taxi was that I wanted to just pay with my credit card and save my Australian cash.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by manderwa
I didn't take Uber from the airport, but I had issues trying to get an Uber to the only reason I wanted to use Uber instead of a taxi was that I wanted to just pay with my credit card and save my Australian cash.
Well you could've paid for the taxi by credit card albeit with an over the top 5% surcharge.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles

I find the train very easy, even with a bigger bag on some trips.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I find the train very easy, even with a bigger bag on some trips.
With bags you can get by elevator from the platform the train arrives at, at Town Hall station, to the station concourse. From the concourse if you exit the station through the exit gates at the Queen Victoria Building end and walk ahead, keeping to the right, you come to a short escalator which brings you up to street level. It's then a short walk, less than 50 metres, to the entrance to the Hilton.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:38 am

Early Checkin Chances

We're scheduled to land at SYD around 7:30 AM so should be at the hotel by 9:00 AM. The last time I did this, I was able to get my room around that early, but that was a few years ago.

Any recent experiences with getting a room early (especially useful since there is no arrivals lounge at SYD )?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Any recent experiences with getting a room early (especially useful since there is no arrivals lounge at SYD )?[/QUOTE]

I got a room around that time last visit a few months ago. YMMV, but it's possible and a pleasant surprise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.