Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Old May 30, 2016, 11:37 pm
  #61  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SYD / TYO
Programs: QF Gold, OZ Dia, HH Dia, SPG Plat25, MR Plat, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Posts: 204
Award rooms now available

Just took a quick look at award availability at the Hilton Sydney.

It seems the Guestroom Plus has now been made the standard room. There is plenty of award availability now at 60,000 points per night.

Workable, but not amazing redemption value.
OriginalName is offline  
Old May 31, 2016, 1:14 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Australia
Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by OriginalName
Just took a quick look at award availability at the Hilton Sydney.

It seems the Guestroom Plus has now been made the standard room. There is plenty of award availability now at 60,000 points per night.

Workable, but not amazing redemption value.
You're right! An amazing change. ^ Maybe the hotel has been called out!
turtlemichael is offline  
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:25 am
  #63  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ORF
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
Posts: 392
Originally Posted by OriginalName
Just took a quick look at award availability at the Hilton Sydney.

It seems the Guestroom Plus has now been made the standard room. There is plenty of award availability now at 60,000 points per night.

Workable, but not amazing redemption value.
Wow, this is exciting! But, it was one week too late for me. We stayed at the Swissotel around the corner from the Hilton last weekend.
jefftiger is offline  
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:44 pm
  #64  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,174
Originally Posted by OriginalName
Just took a quick look at award availability at the Hilton Sydney.

It seems the Guestroom Plus has now been made the standard room. There is plenty of award availability now at 60,000 points per night.

Workable, but not amazing redemption value.
I'm seeing 70,000 points required for the nights I plan on staying.
I guess dynamic pricing?
Still, even with 60,000 points required, IMHO it's way too overpriced.
agjil is offline  
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:17 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 278
It actually used to go down to 40,000 points a night before on cheap nights (premium reward would be that much for guestroom plus). still a bad value compared to the rate though.

points redemption still worthless here, and the points cost goes up on the more expensive nights.

Last edited by mingzie; Jun 1, 2016 at 9:25 pm
mingzie is offline  
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:46 am
  #66  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SYD / TYO
Programs: QF Gold, OZ Dia, HH Dia, SPG Plat25, MR Plat, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Posts: 204
I think we should at least be happy they changed their policy re redemptions! Certainly, the standard reward rate isn't great value, but can be decent when cash rates are high. I do however think that this is more a category 6 or 7 property though.

Also, premium room rewards here can also often be lower than the standard points rate.
OriginalName is offline  
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:48 am
  #67  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 278
Originally Posted by OriginalName
I think we should at least be happy they changed their policy re redemptions! Certainly, the standard reward rate isn't great value, but can be decent when cash rates are high. I do however think that this is more a category 6 or 7 property though.

Also, premium room rewards here can also often be lower than the standard points rate.
No, there is no reason whatsoever to be happy about this, unless you were using BMG or free standard room award.

In fact we should be even less happy because points cost looks like it has overall INCREASED (lowest redemption prior was 40K points).

This is just a way they did a workaround to wiggle around the rules again. Every other Hilton Hotel provides solid point rates based on the month. This one just charges 20K-80k points extra when the cash rate is more. You will NEVER get a good points rate when the cash rate is high.
mingzie is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:05 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 378
Was here about a year ago the Gold only got me the lounge for breakfast, whereas the year before it got me breakfast in the Restaurant. I believe they said Diamonds get breakfast in the restaurant. Is this true/still the case? Coming back in a few months and debating a few hotels so want to make sure I know what to expect at certain hotels.
Frindle is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:30 am
  #69  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Posts: 989
Originally Posted by Frindle
I believe they said Diamonds get breakfast in the restaurant. Is this true/still the case? Coming back in a few months and debating a few hotels so want to make sure I know what to expect at certain hotels.
I have an 11 night stay beginnng 31st July. I have had email confirmation that a Diamond gets a 'full buffet breakfast' in Glass restaurant. I shall report back in in a couple of weeks time.
WickedStepMother is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:00 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Posts: 8,775
As a Diamond on many visits, I have always been able to breakfast in Glass, including just a couple months ago.
kirkwoodj is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:08 am
  #71  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Sunny SYDNEY!
Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Posts: 32,333
Glass for breakfast recently, no issues.

As a Diamond you'd EXPECT it, but had a Waldorf Astoria NYC booking last month, and they told me ZERO breakfasts anywhere for a Diamond. And ZERO lounge access anywhere in the property. Others here confirmed that is the deal. Weird.

Had a night at JFK Hilton on way home and got a beat up airline crew type room.

Diamond means little in many US Hiltons. On way back had a night at Tokyo Hilton and got a suite and treated like Royalty. SUCH a difference. @:-)

Last edited by ozstamps; Jul 21, 2016 at 7:36 pm
ozstamps is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:32 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 921
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Glass for breakfast recently, no issues.

As a Diamond you'd EXPECT it, but had a Waldorf Astoria NYC booking last month, and they told me ZERO breakfasts anywhere for a Diamond. Others here confirmed that is the deal. Weird.
You shouldn't expect it, and it is not "weird" at all that they did not offer it. Breakfast is not and has never been a stated benefit at Waldorf Astoria properties. Provide the feedback in the "HHonors feedback to VP thread" that WA benefits should align with the rest of the brands.
Michael19887 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:40 am
  #73  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Sunny SYDNEY!
Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Posts: 32,333
Originally Posted by Michael19887

You shouldn't expect it, and it is not "weird" at all that they did not offer it.
You are entitled to your opinion.

And I am entitled to mine. Which is - It IS weird, and I did expect it.

I then cancelled the $2000 booking, so you work out who the loser is here. @:-)

The front desk manager phoned me in Sydney to kindly offer me breakfast, so even the Hotel seems to realise it is a weird policy.

I heard recently the Chinese owners are turning over a lot of the WA rooms to Condos etc, so maybe a lot more folks than me thought it was "weird" and voted with their wallets. The customer is ALWAYS right.
ozstamps is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:46 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 921
Originally Posted by ozstamps
You are entitled to your opinion.

And I am entitled to mine. Which is - It IS weird, and I did expect it.

I then cancelled the $2000 booking, so you work out who the loser is here. @:-)

The front desk manager phoned me in Sydney to kindly offer me breakfast, so even the Hotel seems to realise it is a weird policy.

I heard recently the Chinese owners are turning over a lot of the WA rooms to Condos etc, so maybe a lot more folks than me thought it was "weird" and voted with their wallets. The customer is ALWAYS right.
You are only entitled to the stated benefits of the HHonors program, and breakfast at WA properties is not one of them. It's good that they went above and beyond, but they were not required to do that. Of course, you can have an opinion that you disagree with the myway benefits (as I and many do), but I can't understand the argument that you would expect them to provide breakfast when HHonors does not require them to.
Michael19887 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:06 am
  #75  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 378
Originally Posted by ozstamps
You are entitled to your opinion.

And I am entitled to mine. Which is - It IS weird, and I did expect it.

I then cancelled the $2000 booking, so you work out who the loser is here. @:-)

The front desk manager phoned me in Sydney to kindly offer me breakfast, so even the Hotel seems to realise it is a weird policy.

I heard recently the Chinese owners are turning over a lot of the WA rooms to Condos etc, so maybe a lot more folks than me thought it was "weird" and voted with their wallets. The customer is ALWAYS right.
No, the customer is not always right.
Frindle is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.