Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy
Will be in Sydney, Australia in November for five days. Will I get lounge access at the Hilton as a lowly Gold? Also, included breakfast and/or internet? Can either use points or $$$$, but the rates vary wildly, depending when and where I look. Tried searching in Flyertalk, but didn't find anything. Other smaller hotels look promising but do not include breakfast/internet.

DD
As a Gold, you'll get lounge access if upgraded to a room that gets lounge access, as repeatedly and clearly stated in the programme T&C. Otherwise not. If not, you will get breakfast downstairs, which is far better, just no day/evening lounge privileges. Same as any other Hilton property.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:37 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Crap property, terrible management who deny upgrades as much as possible.

Horrible club lounge where you have to queue behind 20 people for drinks.

There are vastly superior properties in Sydney.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Crap property, terrible management who deny upgrades as much as possible.

Horrible club lounge where you have to queue behind 20 people for drinks.

There are vastly superior properties in Sydney.
Unfortunately, I have seen this at airport and hotel lounges. Some folks use the lounge to host large families or make it a full dinner vs. just appetizers. As a result - you have full families (5+) which stay there for entire service duration.
I think as more people get credit cards with elite benefits and abuse such benefits - the management will need to restrict lounge access to 2 people max per guest and limit the hours (90 minutes) of occupancy to allow others to experience. It is a good benefit when traveling to have an early-drink or pre-dinner drink and appetizer but as you stated 20 people for a drink makes the experience stressful.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:13 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Nope. These are just hotel guests. The lounge is too small for the hotel size, elites and people booking executive rooms.

The lounge is littered with dirty, empty plates and you can be waiting for a table at opening time.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:28 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Last edited by m0hamed; Jul 3, 2017 at 9:19 pm
Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
MODERATOR DELETED quote of deleted post

I generally appreciate M0hamed's views but these are, imho, over the top. I have stayed there many times and it is streets ahead of most Hiltons in Australia and around the world. Hilton is a mid-level chain. I agree there are many better hotels but I don't stay in Manderin Orientals, Ritz- Carltons and the like. Move on is the best thing if a hotel (or airline or anything) does not meet your needs rather than repeat the same criticism over and over again when it does meet the needs of others.

And unless the rules have changed since I was last there a couple of months ago, a Gold gets breakfast executive lounge access in Sydney not Glass restaurant access. This is different from most Hiltons.

Last edited by squeakr; Jul 3, 2017 at 8:43 pm Reason: Quote
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:55 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Unfortunately, I have seen this at airport and hotel lounges. Some folks use the lounge to host large families or make it a full dinner vs. just appetizers. As a result - you have full families (5+) which stay there for entire service duration.
Funnily enough the designer of the lounge also designed the food hall at T2 Sydney Airport, and the odd McDonalds venture and Loblaws in Canada, a store cafeteria

http://www.landiniassociates.com/project/loblaws-

If this is the best Hilton lounge in Australia (which is irrelevant when your stuck for a Sydney choice), it explains the demise of the brand locally with the last new Hilton signing a former Crowne Plaza which was rebranded from a Sheraton last century.

Last edited by markis10; Jul 1, 2017 at 11:02 pm
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by markis10
If this is the best Hilton lounge in Australia (which is irrelevant when your stuck for a Sydney choice), it explains the demise of the brand locally with the last new Hilton signing a former Crowne Plaza which was rebranded from a Sheraton last century.
It might soon be after Melbourne South Wharf ceases being a Hilton late this month!
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
What is the best way to get around from the Hilton for typical sightseeing (Opera House, Zoo, Acquarium, Tower, Blue Mountain) for a couple who has difficulty walking for long distances, and typical costs. For example, what would a taxi cost to the Circular Quay cost?

DD
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:41 pm

What is the best way to get around from the Hilton for typical sightseeing (Opera House, Zoo, Acquarium, Tower, Blue Mountain) for a couple who has difficulty walking for long distances, and typical costs. For example, what would a taxi cost to the Circular Quay cost?

DD
Train runs almost right under Hilton, loops around to Circular Quay, and has lift(elevator) access. Little hike to Opera House from there. Taxi wouldn't be too much to any of the Sydney attractions you listed, depending on traffic. Tower is just over a block away. Blue Mountains--would consider a touring coach (bus) for your needs. All the best, enjoy my hometown!
Old Jul 2, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Train runs almost right under Hilton, loops around to Circular Quay, and has lift(elevator) access. Little hike to Opera House from there. Taxi wouldn't be too much to any of the Sydney attractions you listed, depending on traffic. Tower is just over a block away. Blue Mountains--would consider a touring coach (bus) for your needs. All the best, enjoy my hometown!
Uber is also available in Australia; it's usually a bit less expensive than a taxi. Blue mountains are a ways out of town, so consider a train and then a tour or Uber from there if you don't want to book a tour from Sydney, or a car hire.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
Thanks for the info. How often do the trains run? Here in the boondocks, they may run once an hour. I assume they are much more frequent in Sydney. Are schedules on line? I have been searching and have gotten quite lost.

DD
Old Jul 2, 2017, 2:12 pm

Thanks for the info. How often do the trains run? Here in the boondocks, they may run once an hour. I assume they are much more frequent in Sydney. Are schedules on line? I have been searching and have gotten quite lost.

DD
Very frequent.

https://transportnsw.info/#/
Old Jul 2, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
If you plan on taking trains or busses or ferries around Sydney, you should get the Opal Travel app for your phone, which can tell you which train or bus or ferry to take from where you are to where you want to go. It will even tell you which platform or bus stop. Town Hall Station, which is half a block from the Hilton Sydney, has many platforms, so it's quite handy. You should also buy an Opal card, which makes it super easy to take trains, busses, and ferries: just tap the card to the reader. You can buy the cards at Woolworth's (which is right at Town Hall Station) or countless other places.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
We've seen your repeated bashing of this hotel. We get it. Just because you had a bad experience here, that is not necessarily others' experience. Stay somewhere else, or at home (since you claim to be a Sydneysider).
I agree with the prior posters view of the lounge. When I stayed there it was terribly crowded. Huge queues for drinks and nowhere to sit. It was a zoo. I just assumed it was because I was there over a holiday period, but perhaps it is the norm. I also found the rooms and bathroom to be very small.

However the breakfast in the restaurant was excellent. Best part of the stay imo. Location is solid too. Still, I much prefer the Sheraton on the Park.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.