Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Chicago O'Hare Airport {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Chicago O'Hare Airport {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2021, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by DELee
I'd call and ask.

David
I did and they do.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by H.J.Simpson
I did and they do.
Good to hear.

David
Old Jan 5, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 2.6 MM, 1K, HHonors Diamond
Angry Abysmal WiFi experience at Hilton O'Hare

Hello all,

Hilton Diamond here. I could not find a recent discussion on the WiFi offering at this property. I stayed there 3 weeks ago and was astounded by the poor quality of the network. Like most of you I have stayed at hundreds of different Hilton chain properties and do not recall taking a step back 20 years like the one I had to experience during my stay. I tried to connect my PC, iPad and iPhone and was not able to get a stable active internet connection despite multiple tries. After 30 frustrating minutes, I had to call the front desk who transferred me to their dedicated technical support line in the Philippines (the fact that the agent was so quick to transfer me makes me think that they face these calls on a regular basis). After some further wait, I eventually was able to talk to someone who asked for my room number, MAC address or one of those obscure PC connection settings, reset my connection and I was eventually able to get online. I had to have a stable connection for an online meeting in the morning.

Having to deal with this type of issues at such a pricy property is beyond me. I contacted the Diamond line, got a few points as a sorry gesture, and never heard back from the hotel manager despite being promised that he/she would contact me directly about my experience.

Again, I haven't had this type of issues even at Hampton Inn properties located in remote areas. Needless to say that I won't be staying there again, which is a shame since it is such a great and convenient location, even if its décor is also starting to show its age. It is the same 'ideal' location that must make its management feel entitled to charging a premium price without the amenities and technological tools that business travelers have come to expect from a premium brand property.

Interested in the community's recent experiences. Hopefully this is a one-off event to an unlucky traveler.

Thanks,

Szbenny
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 6:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Originally Posted by szbenny
Hello all,

Hilton Diamond here. I could not find a recent discussion on the WiFi offering at this property. I stayed there 3 weeks ago and was astounded by the poor quality of the network. Like most of you I have stayed at hundreds of different Hilton chain properties and do not recall taking a step back 20 years like the one I had to experience during my stay. I tried to connect my PC, iPad and iPhone and was not able to get a stable active internet connection despite multiple tries. After 30 frustrating minutes, I had to call the front desk who transferred me to their dedicated technical support line in the Philippines (the fact that the agent was so quick to transfer me makes me think that they face these calls on a regular basis). After some further wait, I eventually was able to talk to someone who asked for my room number, MAC address or one of those obscure PC connection settings, reset my connection and I was eventually able to get online. I had to have a stable connection for an online meeting in the morning.

Having to deal with this type of issues at such a pricy property is beyond me. I contacted the Diamond line, got a few points as a sorry gesture, and never heard back from the hotel manager despite being promised that he/she would contact me directly about my experience.

Again, I haven't had this type of issues even at Hampton Inn properties located in remote areas. Needless to say that I won't be staying there again, which is a shame since it is such a great and convenient location, even if its décor is also starting to show its age. It is the same 'ideal' location that must make its management feel entitled to charging a premium price without the amenities and technological tools that business travelers have come to expect from a premium brand property.

Interested in the community's recent experiences. Hopefully this is a one-off event to an unlucky traveler.

Thanks,

Szbenny
I had this issues at a Residence Inn and Hampton Inn before and had to have tech support add my MAC manually. Alternatively, so hotels front desk have "codes" you can enter if Name/Rm # doesn't work.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
My experience at the Hilton O'hare is that the strongest signal is near the elevators, in the middle of the complex. I had to turn down an upgrade to a corner suite one time because it was impossible to get online.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by szbenny
After some further wait, I eventually was able to talk to someone who asked for my room number, MAC address or one of those obscure PC connection settings, reset my connection and I was eventually able to get online. I had to have a stable connection for an online meeting in the morning.

Sorry, I don't see the tragedy here. Networks go down all the time, and the fact that they have 24/7 IT to handle it (and were successful in getting you online) is actually a positive thing for an otherwise mediocre (sure, high-priced, mainly because of it's location) Hilton property. The fact that you got some compensation is also a positive thing. I would say you did ok. This exact scenario happened to me pre-Covid at this poroperty, and I was quite satisfied with the outcome. The lack of heat there in the fall when it was cold out was another issue.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
There is no reason to stay at this hotel except for location. The rooms are small and outdated, and the amenities are poor. I much prefer staying at a property that is a mere 7-10 minutes away by shuttle or Uber/Lyft.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
There is no reason to stay at this hotel except for location
Congrats; you've divined why airport hotels exist. If you've never had something go wrong with a shuttle, taxi, or uber / lyft (especially in the kinds of scenarios that tend to lead to stays in airport hotels, e.g. storms), you have been very lucky in your travels!
cblaisd and lsquare like this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 2.6 MM, 1K, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by wilp888
My experience at the Hilton O'hare is that the strongest signal is near the elevators, in the middle of the complex. I had to turn down an upgrade to a corner suite one time because it was impossible to get online.
Thanks wilp888. IIRC, my room was indeed toward the end of the hallway. Good to know.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Bumping this thread with a recent stay. My key takeaways below:

- by far the most convenient ORD hotel but not very modern.

- Upgraded to runway view room which does provide a nice view.

-$18 credit for Diamond HH members which you will easily go over lol. Can be used for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

Abidjan, lsquare, mnhusker and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 9:06 pm

Need a stay near O'Hare after a long international flight - but reading the comments on the O'Hare Hilton, I think I know where NOT TO STAY, especially since a very good connection is critical for me. Are there any other Hilton properties, accessible by a hotel shuttle, that someone could recommend?
Old Apr 16, 2022, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by puchong
Need a stay near O'Hare after a long international flight - but reading the comments on the O'Hare Hilton, I think I know where NOT TO STAY, especially since a very good connection is critical for me. Are there any other Hilton properties, accessible by a hotel shuttle, that someone could recommend?
I've only had a couple of stays here in the last year and haven't had the wifi issues a couple of people have reported; I have never stayed in a room very far from the elevator core so maybe that helps. In particular, I've never had any issues like szbenny reported above. The convenience factor of just walking across the street ranks very highly for me.
I also often stay at the Rose Hotel, DT, and Hilton Rosemont and occasionally at the HGI and haven't had wifi issues at any of these properties. I usually rank the Rose Hotel above some of these other properties and it is a short walk to the Gibson's at the Doubletree (which is also a reason for staying at the DT).
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by puchong
It was my first Hilton, and very nearly my last!

But the convenience for an overnight stay easily trumps the significant negatives.
lsquare and DC9 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 5:07 am
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

… But the convenience for an overnight stay easily trumps the significant negatives.
Exactly. I have only had two stays, but the hotel served it’s purpose.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
What can I get for $18? Seems like an overpriced property that doesn't even have a good internet connection. Damn!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.