Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at YYZ; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at YYZ; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2021, 5:42 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
Had a reservation for a luxury last weekend and was offered a Chrysler 300 or one of the 3 high mileage Infinite Q50's. Not sure how any of these fall into the booking category of "Luxury - Volvo S60 or similar". Asked about upgrading to a Mustang GT and they were asking how many miles I was going to put on it as they Mustangs only come with 200km/day. They are trying to keep the miles down on them. Interesting business strategy, keeping miles down on rental cars by keeping them parked more collecting dust and rented less, are they saving them for the Hertz museum? Lol. The upgrade charge from an already expensive luxury booking would be $25/day with the limited mileage. A walk thru of the Hertz isles starts in the attached video at the 1:28 mark.

Auto Enthusiast, jizen and Ordpc like this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by turbov6
Had a reservation for a luxury last weekend and was offered a Chrysler 300 or one of the 3 high mileage Infinite Q50's. Not sure how any of these fall into the booking category of "Luxury - Volvo S60 or similar". Asked about upgrading to a Mustang GT and they were asking how many miles I was going to put on it as they Mustangs only come with 200km/day. They are trying to keep the miles down on them. Interesting business strategy, keeping miles down on rental cars by keeping them parked more collecting dust and rented less, are they saving them for the Hertz museum? Lol. The upgrade charge from an already expensive luxury booking would be $25/day with the limited mileage. A walk thru of the Hertz isles starts in the attached video at the 1:28 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20kJNK81aN8
I was surprised when I saw two brand new Chrysler 300, I think it was a base touring trim.
No difference than booking premium and simply taking a dodge charger GT, but National does have that as full-size.
You will also notice that most of the time premium is usually not available tp book online or with much higher rate (double the rate than luxury sport) because they don't want to accept points reservations of those 'high end vehicle' at Pearson airport.

I booked Luxury Sport - Volvo S60 or similar and was offered that Chrysler 300 1 month ago.
Their staff told me that they cannot offer me the only Volvo on the lot which is XC60 because of the rate I booked ($15 difference from midsize).
They are willing to offer a high mileage minivan as complementary upgrade since it's more ‘comfortable’ to drive.
I didn't even want to ask about the mustang, let the V8 sit and enjoy the garage sunshine probably is the only thing they want for those mustangs.

Deal with Hertz at this location is like bargaining in a Chinese market and you know you will lose every single time. No luck for PC members.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 8:20 pm

July 4th, Sunday @ 7:00 PM

Hertz PC/5 star have Toyota Rav 4, multiple brand new corollas and mitsubishi RVR, 2 Camry
Reserved area has two brand new XC60 (plate starting with CTXX) and 7 dodge charge GT

National has few cars across EA/EE: Mitsubishi Eclipse, VW Passat, Camry, Hyundai Tucson
Alamo area is full, multiple mustang V8/Eco boost, Jeep Wrangler and Ford Expedition

Avis also has some new vehicle: Multiple Audi Q3, BMW X2 and Mustang ecoboost convertible (plate starting with CTXX as well)
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 10:30 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Booked a last minute one-day rental for mid-day Sunday.

A few Volvo SUVs about.

In the PC area was a solitary pre-COVI Q50 (YI) with a missing NAV card. Was doing a quick drive up Airport Road to Collingwood so wasn’t fussed (it was an upgrade from a midsize) but would have been pissed if I had a longer rental or had booked Luxury.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
This past Saturday evening the airport was fairly empty. Hertz had a Dodge Charger in the presidents circle isle and a compact SUV. Surprised they had almost 10 Ford Mustangs sitting in the reserve. Not sure how they are making any money with all of them parked every weekend. Their rates are high for upgrades so this is likely why. They also limit mileage on the upgrades like the Mustang. A quick video tour of the isle in my video right after the Jeep Wrangler video tour which was rented from National. Starts around the 2:17 mark.
jizen and Ordpc like this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 4:12 pm

Programs: AC 50K, National Exec, Hertz Pres. Circle, HH Gold, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
August 22 around 3:30 PM
PC - 2 Camry's, Escape, and an Accord
Five Star - Just a Camry
Gold had nothing
Upgrade - Mustang Coupe, 300, Charger
Ordpc likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by ThatBri
August 22 around 3:30 PM
PC - 2 Camry's, Escape, and an Accord
Five Star - Just a Camry
Gold had nothing
Upgrade - Mustang Coupe, 300, Charger
If it’s an ON plate accord, it belongs to one of the manager who always park it there
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 8:22 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
Walked through on Tuesday September 7th,

Nothing special of note, reserved section had an Infinity Q60, Volvo XC90
Nothing in the upgrade section
PC had Honda HRV's
5 Star had some Civics.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 8:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
Walked through September 24th. @ 5pm

Pretty barebones, almost no cars.
Upgrades were 2 white 5.0 Mustangs
Reserved had a few XC90'S and v60 on the otherside which was in the process of being taken
There only 1 corolla and a kia forte(?) in gold
PC had 3(!) pacifica's and an RVR
5 star had a lone camry
Ordpc likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 8:45 pm

Update: Dec 16th, Thursday @ 10:30 PM

Hertz:
Only few cars from 5* or PC: Camry, Mitsubishi Eclipse and Hyundai Elantra. Upgrade area has a lone Dodge Charger

National:
Only full size sedans available across EC/EA
VW Jetta, Passat. Camry, Malibu

Seems like a lot ppl decide to pick up today before higher Xmas rate kicks in starting tmr.

Last edited by jizen; Dec 16, 2021 at 10:13 pm
Old Dec 30, 2021, 9:56 pm

Dec 30th, Thursday @ 3:30 PM

PC: V6 Charger GT x2, Infiniti q50 x2, 2021 Toyota Avalon x1
5*: Usual midsize sedan + Mitsubishi RVR + Toyota Rav 4
Upgrade area has V6 charger+ Volvo V60
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 5:04 pm

Jan 26, Wednesday @ 7:00 PM
PC: pick your grey color camry + 1 locked Nissan Murano, nothing else
5* & Gold: Compact Hyundai/Kia/mitsubishi SUV & corollas
Upgrade: Chrysler 300 & Dodge Charger

Asked about Murano but was told it was not available.
Asked for a base 2021 Toyota Rav 4 with 30,000 km odo parked in reserved spot, was offered a "great upgrade deal"
What can I say?

Cancelled and went to National
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:36 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I was through here this week for the first time and it was pretty underwhelming.

President's Circle Ultimate Choice Aisle:
Two Dodge Chargers.
Two Toyota Camry's
One Ford Escape

Upgrade Aisle:
Infiniti Q50S (which I ended up taking)
Volvo XC40
Volvo V60

Its a bit disappointing as I usually got upgraded into a Volvo V60 at the Hertz Ottawa Airport as a Hertz Five Star. Now as president's club, I have to pay for this privilege.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 10:47 pm

YYZ on April 29

Was here today picking up at 2 PM, worst experience in 2022

Before taking this picture below, there was a lone toyota rav4 sitting in PC that I was about to grab with. Someone holding contract walked towards the car and told me hertz agent assigned this only car in PC to him, so I walked away and went to the office.

I was told the best they can offer is a hyundai sonata, or I have to wait since they don't know if there are more cars coming in.
I asked for a hyundai mid-size suv, was told it was in reserved section so I have to pay for upgrade. Come on, for a pathetic mid-size suv? I didn't even ask for jeep wrangler or volvo
I asked if that's how they treat their PC member, the lady behind counter still used "car shortage" as excuse, and told me "I already gave you a full size sedan which is a complementary upgrade"

A beat-up hyundai sonata as complementary upgrade? I didn't really want to argue so I went outside, waited for at least 20 mins, two cars showed up: nissan rouge with 35,000 km odo and a kia soul, maybe the manager considers kia soul as a roomiest suv

I took the rogue, after exiting the gate, found AC not working, Luckily it's not summer yet.

To sum up, PC/5 star were empty, Gold has 1 corolla, upgrade has 2 cars: ecoboost mustang and chrysler 300. Multiple jeep wrangler Sahara, ram pick up trucks, full size suvs, volvo XC60/S60 in reserved section.

I also had a glance over national, saw at least five 2022 ford edge in executive.
In Toronto, now I guess I will only rent from one of Hertz HLE locations which has a google review score of 4.6, and stick with national for airport rentals.

Last edited by travelbuddyto; Apr 30, 2022 at 4:40 pm
Old May 1, 2022, 10:29 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
YYZ April 30

Got there at 8:30am. PC had four vehicles. Newly plated Ford Escape SE (which I took), Chevrolet Trailblazer, and Dodge Charger GT. Quebec plated Toyota Camry.

5* was empty. Gold was empty. Smattering of stuff in the Reserved section.

6:30 pm on April 30, PC, 5*, and Gold all empty.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.