Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at YYZ; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

PC
YYZ

Booked: I
Assigned: 2017 Volvo XC60 T5 Special Edition (H4)
Reassigned: 2018 Cadillac ATS 2.0L Luxury AWD (YI) with 500km

Got a carfirmation email before landing assigning me to a Volvo XC60. Just before landing, I got another carfirmation reassigning me to the Cadillac and the Volvo had been taken by the time I got to Hertz. I was actually quite looking forward to the Volvo as it would have adaptive cruise control and all the other safety features compared to none in the Cadillac.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: National EE, Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, NEXUS
YYZ

Booked - Compact
Given Toyota Corolla with adaptive cruise control, lane keep etc. Ended up swapping it out for a Hyundai Elantra due to a mishap.

YYZ claims to have gold choice, I haven't seen it.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

YYZ
PC

Booked: I
Assigned: 2018 Volvo S90 T6 Momentum AWD (P4) with 7,500km
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:40 pm

YYZ
PC

Booked: Intermediate
Offered: Volkswagen Jetta or Toyota Corolla.

Took the 2017 Toyota Corolla. Had 50,000 km on it, had power issues, rattled/make weird noise when I drove and lost power. Returned it to YYZ and got offered a Hyundai Sonata or Toyota Camry.

Asked to speak to a manager and ended up with a 2018 Toyota RAV4 AWD LE with 4000km on it.

Not the best upgrade for a car that tried to kill me but it will do. I'd have preferred a Volvo or anything else but apparently they were very low on cars. I'm debating taking it back when they restock on cars but might be pushing my luck.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC

Originally Posted by Schweden
If it's anything like the UC at YYZ. it will be a small zone filled with your choice of Corolla or Elantra.
YYZ is launching UC on June 14 (as the popup now says when you try to reserve). What UC did they have before?
Old May 31, 2018, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jim32190
YYZ is launching UC on June 14 (as the popup now says when you try to reserve). What UC did they have before?
There's been a "Gold Choice" section since about maybe a year or so ago which is comprised of just a few stalls in the lot. The agents told me that you could choose any car from there with an ICAR reservation.

It's always been full of mostly Corollas and Elantras with an occasional car outside that class like a Prius V in there. Since I don't book that class, I haven't ever taken one of the cars and I haven't gone back to look at it for quite a while now.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
Originally Posted by jim32190
That sounds about right. There was major construction going on at Hertz YYZ T3 this past weekend. Painting lines, removing old signs and old painted lines and numbers, installing new signs, etc.

At the exit booth there was a notice for employees to attend a meeting at the Sheraton on the afternoon of June 13th regarding Ultimate Choice. Although speaking with staff they seemed to think it would more likely be the end of the month for it to roll out.

Will be interesting to see what they put in the PC isle. As a PC member with a midsize reservation all they usually seem to have available is a Corolla, Camry, or Altima. Or if you are lucky a small SUV like a RAV 4.

There were quite a few brand new Volvo's on the lot (mostly T5 S90/V90 Wagons). Likely for the upgrade zone.

Last edited by turbov6; Jun 19, 2018 at 8:24 am
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by turbov6
That sounds about right. There was major construction going on at Hertz YYZ T3 this past weekend. Painting lines, removing old signs and old painted lines and numbers, installing new signs, etc.

At the exit booth there was a notice for employees to attend a meeting at the Sheraton on the afternoon of June 13th regarding Ultimate Choice. Although speaking with staff they seemed to think it would more likely be the end of the month for it to roll out.

Will be interesting to see what they put in the PC isle. As a PC member with a midsize reservation all they usually seem to have available is a Corolla, Camry, or Altima. Or if you are lucky a small SUV like a RAV 4.
This makes sense as the pop up is now gone, but if you go to the location page, it says "Gold Canopy Service" which means Ultimate Choice. Thanks for reporting back!

https://www.hertz.ca/rentacar/locati...toronto/YYZT11
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:37 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I moved the threads from the YYC to a new YYZ thread.

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
Staff at YYZ have confirmed that Ultimate Choice will be going live on June 28th.

Construction is continuing and some of the signs for Gold and Five Star zones have gone up in T1. All of the spots have new numbering on the pavement and all of the old signs with your name are gone.

I was speaking with someone there and they mentioned upgrades were going to be $50/day. (In the USA they are $35/day and $25/day for Presidents circle).

There were quite a few brand new Volvo's on the lot. Mostly T5 XC90/V90 Wagons likely for the upgrade zone.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:02 pm

Ultimate Choice at Toronto Pearson International Airport opens on June 28th, apparently.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by turbov6
I was speaking with someone there and they mentioned upgrades were going to be $50/day. (In the USA they are $35/day and $25/day for Presidents circle).
They also don't like to negotiate. $50 a day for an upgrade is ludicrous when they don't have that nice of cars.

Enterprise counter quoted me $60 a day upgrade for a convertible. I walked outside to the booth in the garage and asked, they gave me it for $20 a day.

Hertz on the other hand would rather have their cars sit unsold.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by manohman
They also don't like to negotiate. $50 a day for an upgrade is ludicrous when they don't have that nice of cars.

Enterprise counter quoted me $60 a day upgrade for a convertible. I walked outside to the booth in the garage and asked, they gave me it for $20 a day.

Hertz on the other hand would rather have their cars sit unsold.
Upgrade rates fluctuate wildly. There have been times where they've quoted $100/day with a mileage restriction to upgrade into an S90, and then there are times where I've been assigned into one by Carfirmation for free. I've gotten a brand new Alfa Romeo Stelvio for no upgrade charge without really asking and then I've also been quoted anywhere from $30-80/day to upgrade into that or the Audi A5s.

I can see why Hertz would rather leave their "premium" cars unsold as I can imagine that they'd rather not run up the mileage without adequate compensation as I can't see them keeping those cars past the 15,000-20,000km mark. As well, rightly or wrongly, Hertz's fleet can now be seen as more "high end" and "exotic" than most of National or Enterprise due to the fact that they chose rarer vehicles (ie., Alfa Romeo Stelvio vs Jaguar F-Pace, Audi A5 Sportback vs BMW 3 Series, Volvo XC90 vs large American SUV). That said, I really would rather have a Mustang GT or Camaro SS than the European cars on most days.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:40 pm

Well if it's anything like PC in the states, most of time I find that the higher mileage 'nicer' vehicles that were previously for upgrades or specific reservations find their way into the PC and Gold lots. Which makes more sense to me than them continuing to buy new Chrysler 300's by the bucket load but whaaddaIknow
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Schweden
Upgrade rates fluctuate wildly. There have been times where they've quoted $100/day with a mileage restriction to upgrade into an S90, and then there are times where I've been assigned into one by Carfirmation for free. I've gotten a brand new Alfa Romeo Stelvio for no upgrade charge without really asking and then I've also been quoted anywhere from $30-80/day to upgrade into that or the Audi A5s.

I can see why Hertz would rather leave their "premium" cars unsold as I can imagine that they'd rather not run up the mileage without adequate compensation as I can't see them keeping those cars past the 15,000-20,000km mark. As well, rightly or wrongly, Hertz's fleet can now be seen as more "high end" and "exotic" than most of National or Enterprise due to the fact that they chose rarer vehicles (ie., Alfa Romeo Stelvio vs Jaguar F-Pace, Audi A5 Sportback vs BMW 3 Series, Volvo XC90 vs large American SUV). That said, I really would rather have a Mustang GT or Camaro SS than the European cars on most days.
I have yet to see a Hertz high end vehicle have less than 15,000 km. Last vehicle I had was an XC90 and it had 22,000km on a 2018. Before that, the S90 had 18,000km.

No BMW, Audi or Volvo is worth an extra $50-60 a day. These are entry to mid-tier luxury with a MSRP of <$60,000. The base-rate is already expensive enough for a month in the summer (almost/over double) without tacking on upgrade charges.

I got a Mustang GT convertible for $85 (base + upgrade fee) a day from Enterprise this month. I hear they run as much as $120-200 a day usually which is pretty steep. I'd still rather pay $85/day for a Mustang GT than for an overpriced Hertz upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.