Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at YYC; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC

I had rented a small-size SUV (Rav 4 or similar) on my PC account and a large-size SUV (Durango or similar) as my Dad on a general account out of YYC so that we could drive to Banff for a 5 day ski trip. The idea was that I should/would get upgraded to one size up and we'd have all the room for the 5 adults, 1 3 year old, 6 suitcases and 4 ski bags split between us.
I ended up getting a Santa Fe...not sure if that's a size up upgrade. They had said they were pulling around the Durango for my Dad. One person came on a different flight 25 min behind us and they couldn't find her ski bag so my sister, nephew and I loaded up and headed to Banff. Once my Dad arrived at Banff he pulled up in a QX80, not sure if that was upgrade above the Durango but it sure seemed bigger.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I had rented a small-size SUV (Rav 4 or similar) on my PC account and a large-size SUV (Durango or similar) as my Dad on a general account out of YYC so that we could drive to Banff for a 5 day ski trip. The idea was that I should/would get upgraded to one size up and we'd have all the room for the 5 adults, 1 3 year old, 6 suitcases and 4 ski bags split between us.
I ended up getting a Santa Fe...not sure if that's a size up upgrade. They had said they were pulling around the Durango for my Dad. One person came on a different flight 25 min behind us and they couldn't find her ski bag so my sister, nephew and I loaded up and headed to Banff. Once my Dad arrived at Banff he pulled up in a QX80, not sure if that was upgrade above the Durango but it sure seemed bigger.
i beleieve the Santa Fe was an upgrade. Standard SUV to Full Size SUV.

The QX80 was definitely an upgrade. Full Size SUV to Luxury SUV.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:38 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Originally Posted by 91StealthES

i beleieve the Santa Fe was an upgrade. Standard SUV to Full Size SUV.

The QX80 was definitely an upgrade. Full Size SUV to Luxury SUV.
Santa Fe is an upgrade from compact/small SUV but PC T&C don't get you any upgrade beyond full size to begin with.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: Hertz PC

So apparently there is Ultimate Choice now at YYC (Calgary). Has anybody had any experience with the available selection there?

Last edited by Exar; Mar 2, 2018 at 5:36 am
Old May 23, 2018, 1:58 am

No data points? I guess Calgary is not a place FT'ers like to go to
Old May 26, 2018, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Exar
No data points? I guess Calgary is not a place FT'ers like to go to
I will be there next week. Will try to be the first data point
Old May 28, 2018, 12:21 am

I reviewed my reservation and the 'Ultimate Choice' part was missing this time, so I guess they changed their minds? I'll be there on the 8th for either a minivan or a SFAR.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:28 am

I reviewed my reservation and the 'Ultimate Choice' part was missing this time, so I guess they changed their minds? I'll be there on the 8th for either a minivan or a SFAR.
I got the reminder email today and the ultimate choice is still mentioned in the email.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:18 am

Really? It doesn't show up as such on the website. For instance, LAX has a NEW AT HERTZ LOS ANGELES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT: Hertz Ultimate Choice™ text when you look up their location, YYC doesn't have this, nor does making a reservation come with the UC pop-up. When will you be there? I'll be there on the 7th or 8th of June.
Old May 31, 2018, 3:32 pm

So apparently there is Ultimate Choice now at YYC (Calgary). Has anybody had any experience with the available selection there?
If it's anything like the UC at YYZ. it will be a small zone filled with your choice of Corolla or Elantra.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:15 pm

Just got off the lot. It is not an ultimate choice location. It does not even offer a gold canopy service and no gold choice stall as well. I have to waste almost half an hour of my time at Hertz counter...
Old May 31, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Schweden
There's been a "Gold Choice" section since about maybe a year or so ago which is comprised of just a few stalls in the lot. The agents told me that you could choose any car from there with an ICAR reservation.

It's always been full of mostly Corollas and Elantras with an occasional car outside that class like a Prius V in there. Since I don't book that class, I haven't ever taken one of the cars and I haven't gone back to look at it for quite a while now.
Yes that is what I thought. Gold Choice != Ultimate Choice. Gold Choice is what they had at US airports before Ultimate Choice and this service is what you described, basically C and D/F vehicles. Being a PC member meant nothing if you were looking through Gold Choice, whereas with Ultimate Choice PC membership means something.

Originally Posted by godsquare
Just got off the lot. It is not an ultimate choice location. It does not even offer a gold canopy service and no gold choice stall as well. I have to waste almost half an hour of my time at Hertz counter...
Yes this is the same experience I had earlier this year when traveling on business, you go to the desk in the garage where your contract is hopefully preprinted.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:04 am

That's disappointing but not wholly unexpected. What did you reserve and what did you end up with?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:06 pm

That's disappointing but not wholly unexpected. What did you reserve and what did you end up with?
Booked F. Was initially offered a Dodge Challenger (YF) but I had to decline because I have 4 people and tons of luggages. Then, I had to choose between a somewhat old Toyota Camry and a reasonably new Hyundai Sonata (around 7000 km). I spotted a Volvo S60 and asked but was told that there would be an additional cost so I ended up with a Sonata.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:53 am

Did you get a Carfirmation mail? (or is that only at the Gold Canopy locations?) Perhaps with UC, YYC will get Gold Canopy as well? Seems a bit weird otherwise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.