Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at YYZ; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at YYZ; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2021, 9:56 am

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
Posting my video here also for a preview of what the Hertz isles were looking like on Saturday March 20th (late afternoon). Skip past the Mustang tour to the 2:07 mark in the video to see the walk thru the Hertz Gold, 5 star, Presidents Circle, Premium Upgrades and Reserve sections.

Please note: The Mustangs are NOT available for rent from Hertz. They are currently only available from National/Alamo/Enterprise.

jizen likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Is the terrible service at YYZ reflective of the management, or Canadian service levels in general?

I always receive terrible service here. Regardless of which rental agency I use.
jizen and Ordpc like this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Is the terrible service at YYZ reflective of the management, or Canadian service levels in general?

I always receive terrible service here. Regardless of which rental agency I use.
That's definitely not how Canadians do business but I guess it's related with lower demands and few competitors here.
I would say I receive the best service in Alberta and Atlantic Provinces. YVR/YYZ/YUL are at the bottom.
Status also doesn't matter especially during pandemic
Personally I do miss old days when renting from some U.S airports and torn between V8 muscle car and premium suv.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 4:35 pm

Update from the weekends of April 10 and 17th. Hertz received quite a few brand new Volvo's and also a Mustang GT with optional 19" rims and the digital dash cluster. All of the 90 series Volvo's I saw had the amazing B&W audio and some of the 60 series had the HK audio. There was also an S60 T8 AWD plug in hybrid. And at least one of the Volvo's had a polestar badge.

jizen likes this.

Last edited by turbov6; Apr 23, 2021 at 12:03 pm
Old Apr 22, 2021, 7:34 pm

As Hertz inventory is churned, expect a bankrupt entity like it to secure good deals on new purchases under the auspices of a trustee or bankruptcy judge.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:03 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by turbov6
Update from the weekends of April 10 and 17th. Hertz received quite a few brand new Volvo's and also a Mustang GT with optional 19" rims and the digital dash cluster. All of the 90 series Volvo's I saw had the amazing B&O audio and some of the 60 series had the HK audio. There was also an S60 T8 AWD plug in hybrid. And at least one of the Volvo's had a polestar badge.

Great, but these cars are in Reserved and PU... Gosh I miss the days when decent cars were available in PC
Old Apr 23, 2021, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Update from the weekends of April 10 and 17th. Hertz received quite a few brand new Volvo's and also a Mustang GT with optional 19" rims and the digital dash cluster. All of the 90 series Volvo's I saw had the amazing B&O audio and some of the 60 series had the HK audio. There was also an S60 T8 AWD plug in hybrid. And at least one of the Volvo's had a polestar badge.
Volvo actually uses Bowers & Wilkins rather than Bang & Olufsen . I would say it's nice but not worth the almost $4k upgrade to option. Just had an S60 T6 with the B&W from Enterprise YVR. Looks like Volvo Canada has been doing a lot of fleet sales recently.
turbov6 likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 8:44 pm

May 3rd Monday @ 09:30 AM

Upgrade area: Buick Regal + 1 Mustang ...

PC: Pick your color Toyota Rav 4 (some of them are new with Quebec Plate) + Pick your color Mitsubishi crossovers
5 Star: Mainly mid-size cars except a brand new Toyota Prius + Toyota Camry + Mazda CX-3
Gold Zone: Pick your color corolla + Kia small sedans
Old May 4, 2021, 8:28 pm

I've uploaded a video walking tour of the Hertz isles over the past couple of weekends with the new Spring 2021 Hertz fleet.

jizen and jim32190 like this.

Last edited by turbov6; May 6, 2021 at 3:11 pm
Old May 10, 2021, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
I've uploaded a video walking tour of the Hertz isles over the past couple of weekends with the new Spring 2021 Hertz fleet.

https://youtu.be/O7pv3JCRkt8
Thanks for the video.

the reserved Volvos aside, the selection consisting of mostly Mitsubishis and Nissans really couldn't get more boring...
Old Jun 5, 2021, 5:13 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Looks like Hertz did a massive buy. Everything in 5* and PC on Friday June 4 was new.

Subaru Forrester Touring Edition. I took one of these. 71km
a few Ford Escape SE
a couple Prius
a slew of Mitsubishi Outlander
one Camry.
Auto Enthusiast and jizen like this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by briantoronto
Looks like Hertz did a massive buy. Everything in 5* and PC on Friday June 4 was new.
I thought Canada in general and Ontario in particular have another round of covid lockdowns. If so, why are large shipments of new cars coming in now? Is there a forecast of a massive uptick in demand? Are US tourists going to be allowed in soon?
Old Jun 5, 2021, 9:25 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
I thought Canada in general and Ontario in particular have another round of covid lockdowns. If so, why are large shipments of new cars coming in now? Is there a forecast of a massive uptick in demand? Are US tourists going to be allowed in soon?
The fleet (Q4 and smaller) was worn out. Most all of it was at least 14-15 months old if not older.

Vaccination rates are zooming here—we could pass US vaccinated rates in about a month, so things will open more this summer.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 4:09 pm

June 8th Tuesday @ 7:00 PM

50% full
PC&5*: Mitsubishi outlander and eclipse cross, 2-3 Subaru, Nissan Rogue, Kia/Hyundai compact SUVs, Prius. Usual staff but smell fresh. Most of them are newly arrived.
Gold has some usual midsize with 2 or 3 Mazda CX-30

Notable cars from reserved section: Hemi Dodge Durango, V6 Charger GT, GMC Yukon XL, V6 Toyota Avalon (first time seen this at YYZ), Volvo XC60 & S60, Jeep Grand Cherokee. Those old infiniti q50 probably are gone.

Only worn-out cars are parked at compact section (Kia Rio or old VW Golf), finally they swapped the whole fleet to welcome travelers back.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:43 pm

The compact section description makes sense. Someone who used to work for Enterprise said in another thread that mileage doesn't mean as much depreciation-wise with compacts. So whereas a midsize and higher might stop at 20-30k mi, the rental companies might as well run the smaller cars to 40-45k mi. Demand for such tiny cars also tends to be lower, so eventually reaching such mileage can mean the car at retirement will be much older.

This year there might be a wild card- how much might gas prices continue to rise before and during your trip? If it's getting very high, more people might actually want those small cars. A beat up, old, high mileage version means a bad customer experience that might have future consequences.
jizen likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.