Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at YYZ; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at YYZ; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: AC SE. Hilton Diamond, Marriot TI, Avis PC. Hertz PC.
Just wondering if there are any updates on recent days / weeks of ultimate choice at YYZ T1?

I'm a PC member and am trying to decide between avis and hertz next week. (PC at Avis too)

Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by handuk
Just wondering if there are any updates on recent days / weeks of ultimate choice at YYZ T1?

I'm a PC member and am trying to decide between avis and hertz next week. (PC at Avis too)
I went to pick up a week's rental today and had a look at what was on offer at both T1 and T3. I was quite surprised to find out that the President's Circle zone had precisely zero cars in it in both terminals. The Five Star zone had no cars at all in T3 and two or three sub-par cars in T1. I was initially offered a small Kia SUV - which I refused. After insisting for a car for a while, I was told the best they could do was a Hyundai Sonata.

All in all, a thoroughly underwhelming experience. I was told that this is just how things are in the holiday season, but I don't think it's good enough. Definitely my last time renting with Hertz at YYZ.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by GaryK84
I went to pick up a week's rental today and had a look at what was on offer at both T1 and T3. I was quite surprised to find out that the President's Circle zone had precisely zero cars in it in both terminals. The Five Star zone had no cars at all in T3 and two or three sub-par cars in T1. I was initially offered a small Kia SUV - which I refused. After insisting for a car for a while, I was told the best they could do was a Hyundai Sonata.

All in all, a thoroughly underwhelming experience. I was told that this is just how things are in the holiday season, but I don't think it's good enough. Definitely my last time renting with Hertz at YYZ.

I am landing on Jan 1st. I am hoping that all those people who rented cars for new years eve have returned some by the time i get there around 1130am...
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC 50K, National Exec, Hertz Pres. Circle, HH Gold, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
T1 Monday January 6 around 3:30 pm:

PC
Nissan Qashqai (QC plates)
Toyota Camry
VW Jetta
Hyundai Elantra

Five Star
Toyota Sienna
VW Jetta

Gold
VW Golf
VW Jetta
Kia Forte x2
Nissan Murano

Upgrade
Audi Q5
Volvo S60 x2
Volvo V60 CC

There were lots of Volvos in the reserved sections. Ended up taking the Qashqai (SV trim), was better optioned than the Murano (Base S).

Last edited by ThatBri; Jan 6, 2020 at 4:35 pm
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Will be arriving in YYZ soon. Are there actual two different Hertz locations in T1 and T3? If so, how does one get from one to the other?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by chemengin
Will be arriving in YYZ soon. Are there actual two different Hertz locations in T1 and T3? If so, how does one get from one to the other?
The two terminals are connected by an EWR-style monorail system.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by handuk

I am landing on Jan 1st. I am hoping that all those people who rented cars for new years eve have returned some by the time i get there around 1130am...
I don't quite remember all the cars, but in at T1 PC, I saw Jeep Wrangler, Q50 as 'best' cars.
Upgrade had a Stelvio, XC40 and Guilietta. I took Stelvio for 20bucks per day upgrade.
When the guy said It was like 50 bucks per day for upgrade, I started to walk away towards the Q50.

Also, the attendant would NOT answer my questions regarding upgrade cost for each of the cars directly. He insisted that I choose a car first then he'd give me the price........... I was happy with the 20$/day upgrade for the Stelvio so, it worked out for me, but I was pretty annoyed at the time.

Review on Stelvio...
21k+ km. Honestly, New Hyundai Santa Fe is way more comfortable, has better features, and honestly,,,, feels even faster. Was very disappointed with the Stelvio. I'll go with XC60 next time if I am in the mood for similar size crossover SUV.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:16 am

Feb 21, 2020

FEB 21 Friday
12:00pm T1

PC
Multiple Nissan kicks FWD
Multiple 2020 mitsubishi rvr FWD
Rav 4 LE AWD x 1
Jeep Compass with NS plate x 1
Hyundai Tucson
Kia suv
CX 5 x 1 - locked (new car with CMXX plate)

5*
Similar small suv fleet with 1 Jeep Wrangler

Upgrades are high mileage Q50 x 2

Interestingly, they classified the crappy small rvr as F (full size sedan)
Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC 50K, National Exec, Hertz Pres. Circle, HH Gold, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Sunday March 8, 2020 @ 4:00 pm

T1

PC
Eclipse Cross, Sportage, Camry, RVR, Caravan

Five Star
More RVR, Kona, Tuscon, Golf, 2018 Rav 4, Sonata, Kicks, Rogue

Gold
Golf, Jetta, Corolla Hatch, Corolla Sedan, Elantra, Sonata, CX5, Forte Sedan, Equinox LT Midnight Edition - Locked

Upgrade
Q50 Signature, Giulia, Durango

Went over to T3

PC
Santa Fe, Rogue, Rav4, Sorrento

Five Star
18 Elantra, 19/20 Elantra, Kona, Corolla, Golf, Jetta, Kicks

Gold
Elantra, 18 Forte, Soul

Upgrade
Durango, Challenger

Almost everything save the Nissans and some of the Kia fleet were base models. I took the Sorrento as it was the only car with leather seating and decent options. Never thought I'd see the day were the Durangos are upgrades when they used to be a common sight in PC.
Old May 15, 2020, 5:09 pm

Thursday March 14 @ 2:00 pm

The T1 rental car area was almost devoid of any travelers. Hertz had actually closed rentals at T3 and consolidated them to T1. The Hertz Gold Member display was kept blank so I had to double check with the Gold booth. Reserved areas were filled to the brim

PC
Pretty much all compact SUVs: Rav 4, Rogue, Eclipse Cross, Forester

Five Star
Camry, Sonata, Elantra, Jetta, Rogue

Gold
All compact cars: Forte, Golf, Elantra

Upgrade (cars noticeably covered in light dust)
A5, Q50, 2 Challengers
Old May 16, 2020, 4:25 pm

May 16 Saturday
12:00pm T1 (T3 is closed)

PC
Multiple Hyundai Tucson
2020 Subaru forester (Good Choice considering Toronto's weather, newly arrived)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
2020 Toyota Camry SE (newly arrived)
Mitsubishi eclipse
Rav 4 LE AWD
Kia Sedans/SUV

5*
Similar midsize Kia/Hyundai SUV with couple of minivans

Upgrades are Audi A5 with Quebec plate, two ecoboost mustang with ridiculous price (quoted $400+ CAD per day online)

All dodge chargers, challengers, impalas, ford sedan/suv, and Volvos are gone

FYI, If you book YI, you will guarantee with a Infiniti q50 since these are the only luxury sedans left
Old May 16, 2020, 5:05 pm

A Forester and Camry newly arrived? Are you sure? Isn't Hertz sending all the new stuff back?
Old May 16, 2020, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
A Forester and Camry newly arrived? Are you sure? Isn't Hertz sending all the new stuff back?
Yes pretty sure, I always check ownership/insurance before renting.
YYZ hertz registered forester in February and Camry in March.
I saw 10 + forester parked in reserved area at the end of March and now these are available in PC.

I rented couple of times in April and May. 3 out of 4 rentals were brand new vehicle.
Sadly no one rents their ecoboost Mustang and most of them are also brand new covered in dust.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 7:51 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
Things are quite disappointing at YYZ right now. The past couple weekends at Hertz it’s just been a mix of compact SUVs in the isle and maybe one Toyota Camry. Could even be the same cars every weekend as the whole airport is dead.

Upgrade selection has been Audi A5s (one 2019 model and I’ve seen one with new Blue plates). One weekend I saw a total of 6 Ecoboost hard top Mustangs in the reserve. I’ve also seen a couple infinite Q50s in the reserve.

Had a reservation this past weekend for a Hybrid at Hertz. Went into the gold booth and as a presidents circle member was told or we don’t carry those anymore. The Rude agent mentioned I could take one of the SUVs out of the PC isle. Well no kidding with a midsize or higher I can do that. Lol. It was just the attitude overall no apology and just making up excuses. I realize these are tough times but if you don’t have any take it out of the reservation system.

You would think with declaring bankruptcy they would try and make more of an effort. I don’t doubt all of the Volvo’s and premium cars are gone I wouldn’t be surprised if they got repossessed with Hertz not making payments on them. Same thing happened back in 2014 when all of the special edition Corvettes were repossessed out of Hertz LAX.

Things over at National unfortunately are not much better. Had a reservation for a premium special with Alamo. Was told they don’t have any. And I could have an upgrade to a compact SUV! I’m not sure who the new manager was but he didn’t even apologize and was more interested in arguing how a compact SUV was an upgrade from a premium. I guess with that logic If Compact SUV and Luxury are one category up from premium I can book compact SUV and take luxury. Lol

Hopefully things get better. But don’t have high expectations for now. All the old fleet went back and they cancelled any new orders. They just have whatever few they have left. An Impala I had was over 40,000 km. The isle at national only had a half dozen cars or SUVs every time I was out there.

Rates at Alamo have been as low as $90/week but starting next week they’re back up.
Auto Enthusiast and jizen like this.
Old May 20, 2020, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by turbov6
Things are quite disappointing at YYZ right now. The past couple weekends at Hertz it’s just been a mix of compact SUVs in the isle and maybe one Toyota Camry. Could even be the same cars every weekend as the whole airport is dead.

Upgrade selection has been Audi A5s (one 2019 model and I’ve seen one with new Blue plates). One weekend I saw a total of 6 Ecoboost hard top Mustangs in the reserve. I’ve also seen a couple infinite Q50s in the reserve.

Had a reservation this past weekend for a Hybrid at Hertz. Went into the gold booth and as a presidents circle member was told or we don’t carry those anymore. The Rude agent mentioned I could take one of the SUVs out of the PC isle. Well no kidding with a midsize or higher I can do that. Lol. It was just the attitude overall no apology and just making up excuses. I realize these are tough times but if you don’t have any take it out of the reservation system.

You would think with declaring bankruptcy they would try and make more of an effort. I don’t doubt all of the Volvo’s and premium cars are gone I wouldn’t be surprised if they got repossessed with Hertz not making payments on them. Same thing happened back in 2014 when all of the special edition Corvettes were repossessed out of Hertz LAX.

Things over at National unfortunately are not much better. Had a reservation for a premium special with Alamo. Was told they don’t have any. And I could have an upgrade to a compact SUV! I’m not sure who the new manager was but he didn’t even apologize and was more interested in arguing how a compact SUV was an upgrade from a premium. I guess with that logic If Compact SUV and Luxury are one category up from premium I can book compact SUV and take luxury. Lol

Hopefully things get better. But don’t have high expectations for now. All the old fleet went back and they cancelled any new orders. They just have whatever few they have left. An Impala I had was over 40,000 km. The isle at national only had a half dozen cars or SUVs every time I was out there.

Rates at Alamo have been as low as $90/week but starting next week they’re back up.
Hertz YYZ used to have couple of Prius v but they were returned to dealer long long time ago.
I had a similar experience this year where I booked premium and was offered a compact or standard KIA crappy SUV. Their manager simply said I can take any SUV from PC or the best they can do is a KIA Sorento from reserved area. They said: "the rate for the Kia Sorento is higher than your premium rsvn and you do not need to pay any upgrade fee sir".
I re-booked a mid-size immediately, took a car from PC and cancelled my premium rsvn.

They simply don't really care.
chemengin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.