Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at DTW; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at DTW; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by doubter13
i am 5 STAR.
does IFAR count as ICAR or higher? my guess is yes.
If you book midsize (C class) or higher, you can select anything you like based on your status. In this case, you can pick cars in Gold and 5 star.
If you book I class normally you will be assigned to a specific car. However, you cal always negotiate at the counter for a brand or a specific car based on availability.

As a 5 star, don't expect too much on selections of cars in DTW. As other stated above, Hertz normally put nice cars into PC Aisle only.

If you want a SUV or a better sedan, book premium/luxury/suv directly instead of booking midsize.

Unfortunately, you will have 0 chance to spot a escalate in 5* even in PC.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: IHG Spire Am Elite, HH Diamond, BonVoy Gold Elite, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, StarAlliance Gold
ok, here is another question:
do we have any data about weekdays vs weekends? or what time of the day is better for UC?
i was wondering if i just book 2 days first while i stay in detroit and make another reservation fo monday morning when i am leaving Detroit
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I booked a full-size, but as usual at DTW nothing was assigned when I arrived at 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday. The President's Circle row was picked over with a dozen or so Chevrolet Malibus (all of them had cloth seats), two Chevrolet Cruzes and a couple mini-vans left for customers. I found an Impala with all the bells and whistles, but it had no keys. The paid upgrade aisle was empty too.

I complained to a parking lot valet attendant and he went and got me a fully loaded Ford Taurus straight from the cleaners. It had 31,000 miles on it, which was a lot of miles, but it was the best car on the lot that I could see.

Pretty disappointing, to be honest.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Landed in Detroit early, having booked a premium car. I was at the airport Hertz by 7:30 a.m. I received a text message as the shuttle bus was pulling that assigning me to a Ford Taurus -- the Taurus seems to have replaced the Chevrolet Impala -- but I saw President's Circle was full of several Chrysler 300 sedans as well as a small Buick SUV and one Ford Explorer. I prefer the 300's engine for my fast highway driving and opted for a 2019 Chrysler 300S with only 1,100 miles on it. It was very nice, but sadly didn't have a sunroof, heated steering wheel or lane/driving assistance. I'm surprised it had heated seats but not a heated steering wheel. Weird.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Any recent reports on what is usually parked in the paid upgrade section of UC? Ideally, looking for a premium SUV type (Dodge Durango, Chevy Tahoe, etc), would be arriving late in the evening 1030pm-ish.

Found a very attractive rate for ICAR for the dates I need. Don't mind paying for the upgrade if the PC lot is not well stocked when I arrive. The base rate + upgrade cost for my rental is still less than if I were to reserve one of those types outright.

Thanks for your insight!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by jtav559
Any recent reports on what is usually parked in the paid upgrade section of UC? Ideally, looking for a premium SUV type (Dodge Durango, Chevy Tahoe, etc), would be arriving late in the evening 1030pm-ish.

Found a very attractive rate for ICAR for the dates I need. Don't mind paying for the upgrade if the PC lot is not well stocked when I arrive. The base rate + upgrade cost for my rental is still less than if I were to reserve one of those types outright.

Thanks for your insight!
I very rarely see premium SUVs in the upgrade lot (actually, I don't think I've ever seen one). Occasionally some Jeep's (not sure what model, sorry). It's usually inifiti cars, occasionaly the infinti suv crossovers, that's really about it. A sports car every now and then. But all those premium SUVs are always in the reserved section out in front.
Joonydell likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:39 am

Was at DTW thursday night...no joke, I counted TEN 300S's in the PC lot. I counted an additional 4 in the 5* lot. I don't really like the 300s model. There were another 10 or so impalas, but all base model. 3 Taurus. I ended up getting an almost new Jeep Compass from the 5* lot,

Came back on Saturday, and they still had a ton of 300s'. I keep trying to find a 2019 fusion but I haven't seen any - only the taurus. There were two Caddilac XTS in the PC lot, but I wanted something with adaptive cruise control, so ended up grabbing an Avalon XLE (with an awful media dashboard).
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BThumme
Was at DTW thursday night...no joke, I counted TEN 300S's in the PC lot. I counted an additional 4 in the 5* lot. I don't really like the 300s model. There were another 10 or so impalas, but all base model. 3 Taurus. I ended up getting an almost new Jeep Compass from the 5* lot,

Came back on Saturday, and they still had a ton of 300s'. I keep trying to find a 2019 fusion but I haven't seen any - only the taurus. There were two Caddilac XTS in the PC lot, but I wanted something with adaptive cruise control, so ended up grabbing an Avalon XLE (with an awful media dashboard).
I have seen a lot of Chrysler 300S sedans in the last six months at several Hertz branches. I used to see the 300C -- I think that's the model -- which features a sunroof, heated seat and heated steering wheel, and lane guidance. I haven't seen one of those in a while.

The fully loaded Ford Taurus isn't bad.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by BThumme
I keep trying to find a 2019 fusion but I haven't seen any - only the taurus. There were two Caddilac XTS in the PC lot, but I wanted something with adaptive cruise control, so ended up grabbing an Avalon XLE (with an awful media dashboard).
The '19 Fusions are nice - hopefully you land one soon. I snagged one out of the 5* aisle in SFO a few weeks ago - Titainium trim with active XM and NAV. The one I had did not have adaptive cruise though.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by SixAlpha
The '19 Fusions are nice - hopefully you land one soon. I snagged one out of the 5* aisle in SFO a few weeks ago - Titainium trim with active XM and NAV. The one I had did not have adaptive cruise though.
Are you sure? The Ford CoPilot 360 is standard on all titaniums. It has all the features I like - the Adaptive, rear view lights/indicators, and lane departure.

Oddly enough though, the one I got from ORD yesterday did not have ambient lightning, which I thought was also standard. I make a trip back to DTW tonight so will report back on what they have.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:01 am

DTW Lincoln continental

Upon making a dtw (Detroit) hertz reservation on their standard website they list Lincoln continental “or similar,” under luxury.

On the hertz app (where I made my reservation) it declares Chrysler 300c or similar under luxury.

Has anybody rented a continental from dtw hertz?

I am visiting my grandfather at Henry Ford village retirement community, so if you hear about any riots breaking out in Dearborn Tuesday morning it is more than likely my fault for rolling up in a fiat product or something worse. 😬
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:33 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by toofarfromjune
Welcome to FlyerTalk! I've moved your question into the existing thread about members' experiences at DTW.

The Continental is relatively rare in Hertz' fleet; the Chrysler 300 is far more common and what you are likely to be assigned. That being said, you can always ask at the counter if there's a different make/model within your booking class if you aren't happy with what is initially offered.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by toofarfromjune
Upon making a dtw (Detroit) hertz reservation on their standard website they list Lincoln continental “or similar,” under luxury.

On the hertz app (where I made my reservation) it declares Chrysler 300c or similar under luxury.

I am visiting my grandfather at Henry Ford village retirement community, so if you hear about any riots breaking out in Dearborn Tuesday morning it is more than likely my fault for rolling up in a fiat product or something worse. ��
I did grab a brand new continental off the PC lot last year. I've never seen another one at any Hertz location. You will (I'm >90% sure) be assigned a 300 (s model). There is a flood of them in DTW. Even in the reserved section up front, I saw a couple 300s' on Thursday and Saturday evening.

Speaking of that, from my visits Thursday and Saturday - tons of base model 300 (s) , base model Impalas, a couple Taurus, new camrys (I grabbed one), and a mix of sonata's and random kia's. The offerings the last couple visits for me have been extremely lackluster.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: IHG Spire Am Elite, HH Diamond, BonVoy Gold Elite, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, StarAlliance Gold
Not sure if the is the right thread to ask this, but I thought here are the most people that have been to DTW yet.

I have a reservation and the email about is sending me mixed signals..
I am PC and booked an intermediate so I can get something from the PC aisle. The email says in line 5 this:
  • Service Type: Gold Canopy
  • Mobile Gold Alerts are not available at this location.
But towards the end it says
  • Mobile Gold Alerts are available at this location.
  • HERTZ DTW NOW OFFERS ULTIMATE CHOICE(TM). YOU CAN PICK YOUR CAR
So which one is true?
and do I actually care about the mobile alerts as a PC when I can pick from the PC aisle ? I thought if there is something nice in the mobile alert I can make sure I get it while the PC aisle is first come first serve, right?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by doubter13
Not sure if the is the right thread to ask this, but I thought here are the most people that have been to DTW yet.

I have a reservation and the email about is sending me mixed signals..
I am PC and booked an intermediate so I can get something from the PC aisle. The email says in line 5 this:
  • Service Type: Gold Canopy
  • Mobile Gold Alerts are not available at this location.
But towards the end it says
  • Mobile Gold Alerts are available at this location.
  • HERTZ DTW NOW OFFERS ULTIMATE CHOICE(TM). YOU CAN PICK YOUR CAR
So which one is true?
and do I actually care about the mobile alerts as a PC when I can pick from the PC aisle ? I thought if there is something nice in the mobile alert I can make sure I get it while the PC aisle is first come first serve, right?
You're fine and good to grab from the PC lot. You probably won't get a mobile alert. I thought you only got the alerts when you were assigned a vehicle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.