Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at DTW; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at DTW; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by vr67
Hey all, renting from DTW next week. I'm PC and am hoping to get a minivan from the Ultimate Aisle. Anyone have reports on the cars available there recently?
I've seen many a minivan on the PC aisle (in fact more on the Five Star aisle) but my experience is, unfortunately, that every time I actually *need* a specific vehicle I've seen on the PC aisle in the past, I show up to not find it. I hope your experience differs.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by vr67
Hey all, renting from DTW next week. I'm PC and am hoping to get a minivan from the Ultimate Aisle. Anyone have reports on the cars available there recently?
Last night there was a dodge caravan in both the PC and 5*. There was also a couple bigger SUVs (kia sorrentos).
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:07 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
Hi,
and idea what my chances are of a nice car in L4 (Nissan Pathfinder or equivalent) category in DTW? Will be during the summer. Last times booking L4, got a dodge Durango RT in ORD, and a QX60 in IND.

Thanks
Old Jun 8, 2020, 10:05 am

Anyone rented recently from here? Thinking about grabbing a vehicle for the weekend (although the rates are double what I would expect).
Old Jun 13, 2020, 12:17 pm

Well, I think I had unrealistic expectations.

I was at DTW at 10am this morning. DTW had seven vehicles available in the PC lot. 2 Malibu, 2 corrolas, a trax, and 2 altimas.

5 Star had 2 vehicles, a plain looking Kia and another plain looking vehicle.

I saw there was a premium upgrade section that had some suburbans and a discovery, so I went in to ask and they said they could give me a suburban for $40/day, but they weren’t renting anything else.

I was hoping to get a sports car for the weekend but that was never going to happen. I should have rented from my local HLE to save all the taxes and fees.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 1:31 am

5 cars in PC late Thursday night:
3 Dodge Ram Classics (SLT)
1 Silverado (new body style)
1 Jeep Cherokee

No cars in gold or five star, 15-20 cars in reserved. Pretty much a ghost town.

As per Hertz MO these days, there were like 800 cars parked bumper to bumper elsewhere in the lot, seemingly in storage.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by missingcolours
5 cars in PC late Thursday night:
3 Dodge Ram Classics (SLT)
1 Silverado (new body style)
1 Jeep Cherokee

No cars in gold or five star, 15-20 cars in reserved. Pretty much a ghost town.

As per Hertz MO these days, there were like 800 cars parked bumper to bumper elsewhere in the lot, seemingly in storage.
these pickups and that lone Cherokee has been on the lot for a while (come and go of course). Used to have a gladiator, and some other L class SUVs too
Old Aug 26, 2020, 8:05 pm

PC/5* lot still a wasteland.

Visited monday afternoon. PC lot had an impala (that I should have grabbed), a buick encore, and an altima. 5* lot had 5 corollas, a kia forte, and a kia soul. Someone brought up a new looking ford edge to the PC lot that I was going to grab, but they drove it off to the reserved lot after parking it in the PC lot.

The uprade lot had a pickup truck, an impala, a cadiliac XTS suv (nice), a charger, and a Honda CRH - why that was there, I don't know. Is that even premium? The reserved slots were filled, but I don't know if they are being used or not. I went inside and asked about the CRH and was told it would be a $25 upcharge - no thanks.

I ended up grabbing a corolla since they are feature loaded and get good MPG. But yeah, it's still awful. Across the road at national the pick your own lot looked a lot better.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Is this facility open late at night? Website says 24x7. Last Tuesday I had a car booked for 11:30 pm, with flight info noted in the reservation. I waited at the North terminal from about 11:20 pm to 12:05 am. No bus. Finally booked a Budget car online while I was waiting, and jumped on that bus (actually the Avis bus) when it arrived a couple minutes later. When we drove by the Hertz lot it appeared the exit booths were all unmanned.

I had been used to Hertz shuttles running less frequently at that airport than their competition, but this was ridiculous.

My Budget rental was cheaper than my decent Hertz corporate rate and Budget upgraded me to a Continental. I think I'm done with Hertz.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Stripe
Is this facility open late at night? Website says 24x7. Last Tuesday I had a car booked for 11:30 pm, with flight info noted in the reservation. I waited at the North terminal from about 11:20 pm to 12:05 am. No bus. Finally booked a Budget car online while I was waiting, and jumped on that bus (actually the Avis bus) when it arrived a couple minutes later. When we drove by the Hertz lot it appeared the exit booths were all unmanned.

I had been used to Hertz shuttles running less frequently at that airport than their competition, but this was ridiculous.

My Budget rental was cheaper than my decent Hertz corporate rate and Budget upgraded me to a Continental. I think I'm done with Hertz.
I picked up there over the summer at ~1am and the building was shut down but there was a single agent in one exit booth.

Couple customers arrived shortly after me and were not gold members. They had received no instructions indicating what to do and were very confused.

Overall Hertz DTW has been a hot mess every single rental I've had there (4+) this year.
BThumme likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Last Sunday morning the gold and 5 star areas were completely empty, and my name wasn't even on the gold board. I had reserved a midsize, and the gold desk inside said to take one from the President's Club row, which was full. Chose a Nissan Rogue.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott, Hyatt
On Friday 12/18 at 5:30 pm

Two cars in all rows (PC, Five Star, etc.)
+ 2019 Impala 40k+ miles
+ Ford Focus

Just thankful I didn't show up 15 minutes later...
Old Jan 5, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hertz PC, IHG Gold
Anyone one if the Prestige Collection, Dream Cars or any nice premium upgrades are still available at DTW? Planning on renting there for a birthday roadtrip in early Feb and would really like to upgrade to something like a Porsche Macan or Land Rover Velar, but none of those are showing up on the website. Rented an ICAR for the PC area and an LCAR as a backup, but I'm really hoping to upgrade on the spot, though I'm seeing nothing but horror stories about DTW as of late. Also rented an LCAR from a local HLE as backup for my backup.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 5, 2021 at 2:15 pm Reason: moved into dedicated thread for this location
Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by B302LS
Anyone one if the Prestige Collection, Dream Cars or any nice premium upgrades are still available at DTW? Planning on renting there for a birthday roadtrip in early Feb and would really like to upgrade to something like a Porsche Macan or Land Rover Velar, but none of those are showing up on the website. Rented an ICAR for the PC area and an LCAR as a backup, but I'm really hoping to upgrade on the spot, though I'm seeing nothing but horror stories about DTW as of late. Also rented an LCAR from a local HLE as backup for my backup.
Things may have improved recently, as many locations have, but as of summer/fall DTW usually had <30 cars on the entire lot and little to no higher-end cars. Premium Upgrades were empty a few times and there was a lone GMC Acadia another time. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if they just weren't taking reservations for those classes.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hertz PC, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by B302LS
Originally Posted by missingcolours
Things may have improved recently, as many locations have, but as of summer/fall DTW usually had <30 cars on the entire lot and little to no higher-end cars. Premium Upgrades were empty a few times and there was a lone GMC Acadia another time. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if they just weren't taking reservations for those classes.
Followup: Showed up at DTW on the 4th around 1pm. PC/5*/Gold had a total of 10 cars in it, mostly generic sedans that didn't even register in my mind. The only 2 standouts were a last gen Ford Explorer that seemed to be decently loaded and a Ford Taurus that looked to be at least 5 years old based on exterior condition. Up front in their upgrade section they had a few BMWs (530i and 430i Gran Coupe), a Volvo XC60 and a Mercedes A220. Ended up being offered a really nice deal for an upgrade to the BMW 530i so I took it (wish I had specifically asked for the 4 series GC, but that's on me). All in all, the car was in great shape despite having 30k miles on the odometer. Overall I'm pretty happy with how things turned out.

Returned the car today around 10am and the lot and upgrade sections were empty. There were 2 other BMW 530is in the return lane when I showed up so perhaps those will be turned around for the afternoon arrivals today.

Just put in a few reservations for early/mid March and hoping for similar results.
strickerj and Ordpc like this.

Last edited by B302LS; Feb 8, 2021 at 10:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.