Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at DTW; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at DTW; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2021, 5:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My brother picked up this morning around 11 AM and reported the only selection in PC was Jeep Wranglers. Yuck.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 8:46 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hertz PC, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by B302LS
Just put in a few reservations for early/mid March and hoping for similar results.
Just completed another rental, this one was not as smooth.

Arrived at Hertz around noon on Friday, nothing of note in Gold or 5*, but there was a 2020 Mustang GT with 28k miles in PC (upgrade section had a Mustang Ecoboost convertible and a few Infinitis); naturally I grabbed the GT. There was a mild odor in the car, but I thought that was just the cleaning chemicals they’re spraying into every car these days so I didn't mind too much. The lady at the booth though claimed she caught a whiff of weed when she opened the door to scan the barcode tag. I thought she was off, but didn't say no to the pre-rental inspection sheet she gave me with the odor noted on it so that I wouldn’t have issues when I returned the car. Drove to my office 10 minutes away and was fine, but when I hit the road for the actual trip later that evening is when things went south. After about an hour, the smell of the cleaning chemicals wore off and the smell of weed really hit me. An hour after that my head began to hurt from the smell as well as the incredibly loud tire noise (it was louder than my personal Mustang with wider tires and my lifted Jeep on mud tires so something was definitely wrong). Seeing as how I still had 10 hours driving ahead of me, I called Hertz and they told me no problem get the car exchanged at the next major airport location on my route (CLE). I won’t get into the details of the exchange since that turned into a near 2 hour ordeal and ultimately everything worked out, so long story short, I just returned a 2020 BMW X3 with 20k miles to DTW.

Looking around the lot while waiting for the shuttle, Gold/5*/PC were full of generic cars with the only stand out being a decently loaded Mazda CX5 in PC. There were a few Hyundais in the upgrade section near the canopy and the reserved aisle had a few Jaguars (E-Pace and XE) as well as a Land Rover Evoque.
Ordpc likes this.

Last edited by B302LS; Mar 1, 2021 at 8:54 am
Old May 10, 2021, 11:00 am

A bit late on this one.

Picked up a rental on April 14th, PC/5*/Gold were totally packed, not a single empty space. Nothing special anywhere, except for one brand new Bronco Sport in PC but that was taken by a lady who got there 2 minutes before I did. There were also 2 other Bronco Sports in the upgrade section and a few more that were freshly delivered but not yet ready for rental service. The only premium upgrades available were Infiniti QX80s. Unfortunately, I was not able to talk my way into getting either of the other Bronco Sports despite them being an identical trim and spec as the one in PC. The lady at the upgrade counter actually told me that the one in PC was a mistake and wasn't supposed to have been there, so she couldn't give me one of the others without additional cost. Ended up taking a QX80 since the quoted upgrade price was less than the Bronco Sport, but it was so awful in terms of ride quality and fuel economy (I know its a giant V8, but it was significantly worse than I expected and worse than the EPA fuel economy labels despite my driving like a saint), that I ended up swapping it for a BMW X1 at ORD later the same evening. Returned the X1 to DTW on April 20th, but that information doesn't help anyone at this point in time. Got another rental coming up in a few weeks, will try to be a bit more timely with my report
Ordpc likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 9:00 am

A bit late on this one.

Picked up a rental on April 14th, PC/5*/Gold were totally packed, not a single empty space. Nothing special anywhere, except for one brand new Bronco Sport in PC but that was taken by a lady who got there 2 minutes before I did. There were also 2 other Bronco Sports in the upgrade section and a few more that were freshly delivered but not yet ready for rental service. The only premium upgrades available were Infiniti QX80s. Unfortunately, I was not able to talk my way into getting either of the other Bronco Sports despite them being an identical trim and spec as the one in PC. The lady at the upgrade counter actually told me that the one in PC was a mistake and wasn't supposed to have been there, so she couldn't give me one of the others without additional cost. Ended up taking a QX80 since the quoted upgrade price was less than the Bronco Sport, but it was so awful in terms of ride quality and fuel economy (I know its a giant V8, but it was significantly worse than I expected and worse than the EPA fuel economy labels despite my driving like a saint), that I ended up swapping it for a BMW X1 at ORD later the same evening. Returned the X1 to DTW on April 20th, but that information doesn't help anyone at this point in time. Got another rental coming up in a few weeks, will try to be a bit more timely with my report
Thursday noon, originally only those newly delivered legacies/outbacks with an altima and a CX-30 in PC, after those gone a new Explorer was brought in and was taken in 5 min, I think a QX80 was put in there too

they did have a bronco sport in reserved, but that is in big bend trim so very basic
Old May 15, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by corolla
Thursday noon, originally only those newly delivered legacies/outbacks with an altima and a CX-30 in PC, after those gone a new Explorer was brought in and was taken in 5 min, I think a QX80 was put in there too

they did have a bronco sport in reserved, but that is in big bend trim so very basic
Are the Explorers pretty common here? I've got a reservation in September for a 7-passenger SUV (L4) and am curious what it might be. I'm hoping for something with captain's chairs in the second row rather than a bench.
Old May 15, 2021, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj
Are the Explorers pretty common here? I've got a reservation in September for a 7-passenger SUV (L4) and am curious what it might be. I'm hoping for something with captain's chairs in the second row rather than a bench.
There were 2 other new explorers and 1 old sorento in reserved that day, and yes hertz got a lot of the new explorers recently (seems the only new L4 they got). All explorers I've seen in MI plates are XLT with the appearance package. not sure of the seat config though
strickerj likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by corolla
There were 2 other new explorers and 1 old sorento in reserved that day, and yes hertz got a lot of the new explorers recently (seems the only new L4 they got). All explorers I've seen in MI plates are XLT with the appearance package. not sure of the seat config though
Thanks for that! Example for the class is a Pathfinder but I've noticed the American brands are more common at DTW, so I figured it'd be Explorers or maybe Chevy Traverses.
Old May 27, 2021, 2:43 pm

Got another rental coming up in a few weeks, will try to be a bit more timely with my report
Pretty lackluster day for DTW Hertz today. Picked up another car 2ish hours ago. Lot pretty bare this time. Gold was mostly empty, a lone Subaru Outback in 5* and a small assortment of generic compact Chevy and Hyundai/Kia SUVs in PC. The only standout was a Mazda CX5 in PC, which I ended up taking. Not a single sedan to be seen in any ultimate choice rows. Only options for premium upgrades at the time were an Infiniti QX60 and an Ecoboost Mustang. There was a Range Rover Evoque over at the fuel pumps, but the desk agent said it was about 2 hours from hitting the lot, and I didn't have time to wait.

Originally Posted by strickerj
Only 3 row SUV/CUVs on the lot today were Nissan Armadas and a single Ford Flex. Flex seemed to be a lower trim so more likely to be a 7 pass configuration with a 2nd row bench, but seeing as how those went out of production at the end of 2019, I'm not sure I'd pick it due to age and mileage.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 10:04 am

Just returned the CX5 and had a quick walk around the lot. Ultimate Choice rows were the same selection of Chevys, Hyundais and Kias, with a odd Ford, Subaru and Mazda mixed in (Edge in PC, Legacy in PC, and CX5 in 5*). A lot more sedans compared to Thursday. As far as 3 row SUVs go, 3 Explorers and a VW Atlas in the upgrade area.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 7:23 pm

Today at around 12:30, probably I was a little late for something good, but 5 star had relatively higher level of 3 cars, including a new edge and murano; in PC there were multiple outbacks and one forester, ecosport, Cherokee, cx30, new rogue, and something else don't remember. Didn't notice what gold had. No one was checking in cars atm and return lines almost full
Old Aug 6, 2021, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Was there this morning.

Literally pick your color mid-size SUV. Everywhere in PC, gold, 5*. Not a single car. There was a good amount of these, but nothing too exciting. THere was one Edge that had a titanium package, which looked like it had a huge screen in the middle (one of the vertical ones).

Mazda cx-30, a rav4, several edges, several escapes, several muranos, couple encores, probably missing one or two types but that was it - about 15 in total at PC.

I wanted something a bit nicer which is why I rented from here to begin with and not my local hertz, so asked about a paid upgrade for $25/day to a land rover evoque that was in the premium upgrade reserve section. I was told that that program was discontinued at this location and she could do 35, but then shortly after said she could do 25/day.

I've always wanted to try and drive one of these, so gladly paid for it for a 3 day rental. Should be a nice way to drive to chicago and back for the weekend to celebrate my first anniversary.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 11:00 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I picked up from DTW around 5:30 PM on Tuesday evening, the PC aisle was full and included Q50's, QX60, X3, 330i, XT5, little Range Rover, 300's, Expedition, Tahoe, Yukon, and lots of other less descript options in car and SUV form.

However, the cars themselves ... well, at first I took the X3, but it gave me an error that the driver restraint system needed fixed, which I didn't mind since I didn't plan on using that system, but the drivers' seat wouldn't adjust, so I passed on that. Next I was going to take the little Range Rover, but it had significant paint damage that I really didn't feel like risking wasn't noted already, so finally I took the XT5, it was a 2020 with 37,000 miles or so with new Ironman brand tires. I noticed a couple across from me had settled in the QX60 but after several minutes abandoned it for some reason to take the little Range Rover.

Overall still the best selection I've ever seen at this location, but some were long in the tooth.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Beckles
I picked up from DTW around 5:30 PM on Tuesday evening, the PC aisle was full and included Q50's, QX60, X3, 330i, XT5, little Range Rover, 300's, Expedition, Tahoe, Yukon, and lots of other less descript options in car and SUV form.

However, the cars themselves ... well, at first I took the X3, but it gave me an error that the driver restraint system needed fixed, which I didn't mind since I didn't plan on using that system, but the drivers' seat wouldn't adjust, so I passed on that. Next I was going to take the little Range Rover, but it had significant paint damage that I really didn't feel like risking wasn't noted already, so finally I took the XT5, it was a 2020 with 37,000 miles or so with new Ironman brand tires. I noticed a couple across from me had settled in the QX60 but after several minutes abandoned it for some reason to take the little Range Rover.

Overall still the best selection I've ever seen at this location, but some were long in the tooth.
Great to hear that premium European vehicles are showing up in PC again, been a loooong time since I’ve seen that. Hopefully not a one time fluke, picking up at DTW on the 23rd and wouldn’t mind something along the lines of a 330i for my planned 1700 mile weekend trip.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles

on this past Sunday afternoon it was completely different. PC had one Dodge Journey, one 300c with broken media portal, one wrangler, one Santa Fe, 2 CX-30s, one escape, and five star and gold was basically pick your color 2018 equinoxes.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 1:18 pm

Great to hear that premium European vehicles are showing up in PC again, been a loooong time since I’ve seen that. Hopefully not a one time fluke, picking up at DTW on the 23rd and wouldn’t mind something along the lines of a 330i for my planned 1700 mile weekend trip.
DTW seems just got bunch white 330s, white mustang GTs and grey QX50s, they always there, but more likely in reserved section. QX50 in PC from time to time tho
strickerj, Ordpc and B302LS like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.