Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at DTW; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Ultimate Choice was live at DTW today. Looked very new and they had staff out with tablets to help people figure it out. Overall it was a far better experience than before the change.

5* area had a decent assortment of full size, a couple of Impalas, and a nice XTS which I took.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:32 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by mnic
Ultimate Choice was live at DTW today. Looked very new and they had staff out with tablets to help people figure it out. Overall it was a far better experience than before the change.

5* area had a decent assortment of full size, a couple of Impalas, and a nice XTS which I took.
Thanks for the update...anything larger (Full Size SUV/Pickup) in the UC?
Old May 22, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC
UC @ DTW yesterday (3pm) PC area had multiple Cadillac sedans small suvs, two infinitis, ended up walking away with a Land Rover discovery with 3k miles on it.

Hertz might actually be on to something here
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
DTW is a great location if this is the 'norm' for this location. Many Infiniti from the SUVs to Sedans. Multiple Caddy ATS. Expeditions. Taurus. And more.

Since I'm here on IndyCar weekend jumped in an ATS. Has working satellite, bluetooth and 4G WiFi.

Untitled by https://www.flickr.com/photos/dinanm3atl/, on Flickr

Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: Blinged Out
As I was about to put my duffel in a 300C, the porter rolled an Escalade into the PC/Ultimate Choice lane. I rolled out with it. What an upgrade! It takes a bit to get to the rentals at DTW, but the upgrade was well worth it this weekend!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:03 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Rented there last week on a Tuesday afternoon.

The lot was barren. There was seriously like 5 cars in the 5* area and 4 in Gold.

All Hyundais IIRC.

Took a Mazda 3 in bright red with 16k miles and no XM.

Worst UC experience I've had so far.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Thursday afternoon. It was very busy but lots of staff were around being helpful.

PC highlights were a couple of XTS, CTS, Impalas, lots of Fusions.
5* had an Escape, loads of Sonata/Optima and assorted mid-size.

Nothing in the Premium Upgrade spots and no large SUVs anywhere to be seen.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Today (Thursday) at 2pm.

PC was well stocked with a lot of variety. There were 2 Expeditions, Armada, QX80, plus lots of decent sedans and a couple of crossovers.
5* was half full. Highlights were 3 Fusion SE Hybrids, 1 Malibu and the usual full/mids.
Gold had a handful of rubbish.

The Hertz staff at DTW have been really nice lately.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
I apologize in advance if this isn't the right place for my question. I usually rent from National with EE status but am getting bumped up to Hertz PC via Delta DM. I've been very happy with the service at National and the car selection has been interesting (in a good way) but not enough premium cars in the Emerald Aisle. Anyone with experience with both lots at DTW able to compare and contrast experiences? Thanks!
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Sunday lunchtime. PC was less than 1/4 full. There were 2 Malibus and about 8 Fusion SE Hybrids, all with cloth seats. Nothing else. Luckily a 300S came in from the car wash so I took that.

Premium Upgrade had an XTS and two Infinitis. 5* was full of the usual stuff, although I did see a base spec Dodge Charger.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:52 am

I rolled through here Friday evening.

PC had 8 cars: A Nissan Altima, 3 Chevy Malibus, 2 Ford Fusions, an Impala, and one Mustang GT coupe. Upgrade had an Infiniti QX30 and a QX70 (old FX).

Five Star looked to be all Hyundais and a couple of Fusions.

I walked across the street to National instead. Not sure why the selection here has gotten so poor so quickly. Earlier this summer, the PC aisles really had high quality offerings.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:10 am

Thursday evening around 10:00PM

PC very full but selections not too exciting. Mostly standard full size fare (Malibu/Fusion/Sonata/Camry/Altima). Standouts were a Ford Expedition XLT, Ford Mustang coupe, Cadillac XTS, and a Toyota Sienna minivan. Premium Upgrade slots were all filled with Infiniti Q50 sedans and one QX80.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I've been doing a lot of rentals at DTW in part due to their promotion with United (5750 miles per rental). The last couple times I've done Ultimate Choice, it's all been very boring choices - almost 80% of the vehicles it seemed were either a fusion or a malibu, with a couple optimas and hyunadi's (not sure what model) thrown in. The premium upgrades have been inifiti's. I finally got something a bit nicer last night - a 2017 XTS with only 4k miles on it - really nice to drive. There was also some SUVs including an inifinti QX60 available to choose from.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:52 am

I came through again on Sunday, same observation as you. Only "different' cars were a Toyota Avalon and a Range Rover Evoque. Saw a C63 AMG up front too, that's a pretty rare sight for this location.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
About two weeks ago. Bunch of Kia, Hyundai, Nissan mid-size cars and the lowest ranked crossover 7-seater on the market. Zero upgrades available too. Not remotely impressive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.