Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at DTW; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at DTW; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Anyone ever have an experience where, in say high school, you somehow got to dance with the really attractive girl who was out of your league ? You don't really know how, but it was such a great experience that nothing will ever top it? Well, that's how it was this week with my XTS rental.

Was able to get an XTS that was an amazing ride for a week as PC.Great nav system, heated seats/steering wheel, the brightest headlights I've ever seen, a great sound system, and all around comfortable ride.
It only averaged about 24 mpg (I was mostly highway driving), but other then that it was awesome. I had to sadly return it last night, and the options at 10PM on a Sunday night were your typical (public) high school girls - 10+ malibus, a cruze, couple optimas, a camry, two fusions, a sonata, and the only non-normal vehicle was a nissan pathfinder. Upgrades were the same two infinity cars, but there also was a slick looking Jaguar XE. It seems like DTW is super hit and miss.

It was fun while it lasted.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:13 am

Nothing exciting this past week at DTW. Yesterday morning had a little less choices of the usual vehicles - couple fusions, 10+ malibus, a couple kia souls (seems odd?), and a couple cruzes. Grabbed a fusion with 120 miles on it.

Had anothe rental this morning at 8am, and there was 4 total cars in the PC section - 2 malibus, a brand new corrola (no satellite radio though?), and a fusion with 615 miles on it. Thought about the corrola since I like the cruise control features (mainly the adaptive speed), but no satellite radio made me go with the fusion (a base titanium model). There were a couple cars in the 5* lot but I didn't head over, looked like a couple cruzes.

Side question: What is everyone's prerferences of the following cars, since they are really what make up most of the vehicles I see at DTW:
-Fusions
-Taurus
-Malibu
-Sonata
-Cruze
-Altima
-(something else I'm missing?)

I tend to like the fusions for getting good gas mileage, since I usually drive to GRR/AZO and back for the weekends. After scoring an XTS over thanksgiving break, everything now just seems so boring.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Saturday afternoon. PC had lots of various full-size sedans. Taurus and Impala were the only premiums. No SUVs, but that wasn't surprising given the weather. Infiniti sedans in the upgrade section.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Friday evening. It was snowing. Every space in PC filled with typical sedans. Malibu, Sonata, Optima, Cruze. Only exceptions were an Avalon and a Maxima. Upgrades were Infiniti sedans (Q60, Q50).
Looking across PC, Five Star and Gold again I couldn't see any an SUV or All-Wheel-Drive vehicles.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:07 pm

10pm on Friday and snowing. Five * only had mid-size sedans. Nothing special. Across the street National had tons of SUVs in Emerald lot.

UC is not going to be my top choice.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:25 am

Another disappointing visit to DTW this morning.

Lots of mailbus, an optima, a buick regal (first time seeing one, but had 30k miles on it), several cruzes, two fusions, a cool looking nissan maxima (but had 45k miles on it), and several new camrys and one corrola. Do avalon's ever get in there? I consider the toyotas but they don't appear to have satellite radio. There was an impala but I really dislike them, and managed to find a pretty nice 2018 Taurus that seemed to have an upgraded interior and only 2k miles on it...but when I got to checkout, they said there was a hold on it and there was no manager to override it, so I had to return it. Went inside and mentioned this and only got an unfriendly attitude from the worker who said only what's on the lot is what I can pick from, so decided to just go back and grab whatever else I could. Grabbed another (basic) taurus I found. At least I managed to find one that had heated seats and steering wheel and remote start for this subzero weather. Upgrade lot was the usual set of 6 Q50's. I didn't see any type of SUV anywhere on any of the lots.

Someone did just return though an avalon xle, that looked pretty cool.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by BThumme
Another disappointing visit to DTW this morning.

Lots of mailbus, an optima, a buick regal (first time seeing one, but had 30k miles on it), several cruzes, two fusions, a cool looking nissan maxima (but had 45k miles on it), and several new camrys and one corrola. Do avalon's ever get in there? I consider the toyotas but they don't appear to have satellite radio. There was an impala but I really dislike them, and managed to find a pretty nice 2018 Taurus that seemed to have an upgraded interior and only 2k miles on it...but when I got to checkout, they said there was a hold on it and there was no manager to override it, so I had to return it. Went inside and mentioned this and only got an unfriendly attitude from the worker who said only what's on the lot is what I can pick from, so decided to just go back and grab whatever else I could. Grabbed another (basic) taurus I found. At least I managed to find one that had heated seats and steering wheel and remote start for this subzero weather. Upgrade lot was the usual set of 6 Q50's. I didn't see any type of SUV anywhere on any of the lots.

Someone did just return though an avalon xle, that looked pretty cool.
Wait, so they told you you can only pick from what’s on the lot... moments after not letting you take a car that was on the lot?
sisandor likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by strickerj

Wait, so they told you you can only pick from what’s on the lot... moments after not letting you take a car that was on the lot?

Yeah pretty much.

I'm taking advantage of the United promo (5,750 miles/rental) that ends the 31st. I have 4 reservations over the next 4 days @ $30 total a day. Went this (Thursday morning) - not many vehicles in the lot at 715am, but a couple noticeable:

2 Buick Encores, including one that had 5 miles. I was about to grab that, but instead found a 2018 lincoln continental with only 1100 miles on it (in the PC section, not upgraded). It's a pretty nice car, but I really feel like I need someone to share it with.

There was also an infinity SUV (QX50?) in the PC lot, but it had no keys (according to writing on the window). There were 3 dodge caravan minivans a kia soul, a chevy traverse, 2 fusions, couple sonatas, and a camry.

Last friday afternoon I was able to get a Toyota Avalon XLE, and saw one monday morning when I returned the vehicle.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Several visits over the last two weeks. The staff have always been really nice, despite being stuck outside in freezing conditions.

First with a Mid-Size reservation I took an F-150 from PC. It was base spec and really high mileage, but I was pretty excited as I hadn't seen a truck (S) in ultimate choice before. The F-150 was marked Do Not Rent on the computer so they wouldn't let me take it at the gate, but the staff found me a brand new RAM 1500 Quadcab instead.

Next visit I reserved a Full-Size SUV and got given a GMC Yukon XL. It was high mileage and felt like it, but it did a good job in the snow.

And the most recent time I had a Mid-Size SUV reserved. I turned up early before assignment and got given a base Ford Escape with cloth seats and a faint smell, so I took a 300C from PC. Other options in PC were an Avalon, Impala, Lacrosse, Grand Caravan, Fusion and a Challenger. Upgrades were all Infinitis.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by mnic
Several visits over the last two weeks. The staff have always been really nice, despite being stuck outside in freezing conditions.

First with a Mid-Size reservation I took an F-150 from PC. It was base spec and really high mileage, but I was pretty excited as I hadn't seen a truck (S) in ultimate choice before. The F-150 was marked Do Not Rent on the computer so they wouldn't let me take it at the gate, but the staff found me a brand new RAM 1500 Quadcab instead.

Next visit I reserved a Full-Size SUV and got given a GMC Yukon XL. It was high mileage and felt like it, but it did a good job in the snow.

And the most recent time I had a Mid-Size SUV reserved. I turned up early before assignment and got given a base Ford Escape with cloth seats and a faint smell, so I took a 300C from PC. Other options in PC were an Avalon, Impala, Lacrosse, Grand Caravan, Fusion and a Challenger. Upgrades were all Infinitis.
What trim was the Ram? And were it and the Yukon 4wd?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by strickerj

What trim was the Ram? And were it and the Yukon 4wd?
2018 Ram 1500 was Laramie 4WD Quadcab 5.7L V8 Hemi.
2017 Yukon XL was SLT 4WD.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:33 am

4/5 at noon:

Lots was pretty empty, but some ok choices:
Buick lacrosse
Ford fusion
Kia forte (?)
Ford taurus
About 10 impalas, saw one with the premium trim
2017 XTS, which I was going to get, but:
2017 QX30, which I went with, although kind of regret.

One premium infinity car to upgrade as well.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:38 am

4/9 at 10am: 5*
- hyundai sonata's
- hyundai elantra
- kia's
- nissans
- toyota camrys

This week I actually got a sweet Buick SUV (forgot the name, not the big one but slightly smaller). Brand new with 300 miles on the clock. nicely equipped, new car smell and everything.

I've been coming to DTW weekly on a monday morning and the selection is boring.
HOWEVER, i've noticed a few infiniti's and LR Evoques in the 3 and 2 sections, maybe my eyes are tricking me, but....if I see a car there (as a 5*)...can I just take it? or are those reserved?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:31 am

they've dumped bunch of new Ford Fusions in the PC and 5* lot.....all under 400 miles, still have that new car smell.

the one i have this week has a sunroof and navigation
BThumme likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 1:51 pm

I've been consistently taking a Ford Fusion from 5*....its the best option available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.