Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at DTW; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at DTW; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by matrix42
Thanks! I got a great deal on a Mercedes Benz GLC/Range Rover Evoque (Prestige Collection), so I'm thinking about cancelling the QX80 and just going with the GLC for almost $150 less for the week ($390 vs almost $540).

Has anyone rented a GLC300 from Hertz recently? If so, did you end up getting a GLC or an Evoque? It sold out the moment I booked it, so it must be the last one they had. Hope I get a GLC. Not a fan of RR interiors.
I've never seen them at DTW. Only Infiniti's and a very rare Jag every now and then. I have three rentals in three days today, I'll let you know if I find anything good.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:07 am

Was not a great weekend at DTW.

On Friday, got to the lot right at noon. There was not a single car in any of the lots. In PC, there were several equinoxes and kia sorrentos. They did bring a single infiniti car over, but parked it in the premium upgrade section. I ended up finding a brand new sorrento (4 miles). Worked out Ok, but was looking for my go-to fusion. This was by far the worst I've ever seen DTW.

On saturday at noon, more of the same, but a couple cars thrown in. There were two challengers in the PC lot, and also another in the premium section. There was also a jeep looking vehicle too in the premium section, which i've never seen. Didn't want another suv, so grabbed a new-er chrysler 300 that had lane departure and adaptive cruise control, so that was nice.

Sunday at noon was a lot better. In the PC section, there was an inifinity Q50 and Q60, both with 30k miles on them. Ended up grabbing the Q60 since the number was higher (great logic, I know). Also saw a pickup truck, a minivan, and a bunch of malibu's and impalas. No fusions again oddly. Anyways the Q60 was nice for a day, but I don't think it warrants being in the premium vehicle selections like it usually is.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:37 am

Thanks for the update. I assume you didn't see a Mercedes GLC or an Range Rover Evoque. Do they keep the prestige collection cars in the same lots/location, or are they in a separate lot?

Thinking about cancelling my Hertz reservation and just going with an Alamo standard SUV as I don't want to be stuck with a lower end car or the Evoque.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:50 am

Thanks for the update. I assume you didn't see a Mercedes GLC or an Range Rover Evoque. Do they keep the prestige collection cars in the same lots/location, or are they in a separate lot?

Thinking about cancelling my Hertz reservation and just going with an Alamo standard SUV as I don't want to be stuck with a lower end car or the Evoque.
Nope. But again, I've never seen a mercedes at all at DTW. I did see a range rover vehicle on Sunday around the service area, but I googled what an evoque looks like and it certainly wasn't that.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by BThumme
Nope. But again, I've never seen a mercedes at all at DTW. I did see a range rover vehicle on Sunday around the service area, but I googled what an evoque looks like and it certainly wasn't that.
Did you rent a Q60 (coupe) or a QX60 (large SUV)? If It was a QX60, how was it in terms of mileage and condition? I cancelled my GLC/Evoque reservation as an Evoque wouldn't fit all our stuff, but I snapped up a QX60/Rover Discovery that just popped up.

Did you happen to see either of those in the lot?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:25 am

Did you rent a Q60 (coupe) or a QX60 (large SUV)? If It was a QX60, how was it in terms of mileage and condition? I cancelled my GLC/Evoque reservation as an Evoque wouldn't fit all our stuff, but I snapped up a QX60/Rover Discovery that just popped up.

Did you happen to see either of those in the lot?
I had the Q60 (coupe) (30k miles). Can't help on that front. I'm getting another weekend rental at DTW starting tomorrow, so I can take another look.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:59 am

showed up to DTW late on monday morning. PC availability was limited. I ended up with a Jeep Compass.
They had a few Buicks, Impalas, Nissan Rogues
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Lots of choice in PC this morning, but nothing exciting. There was (all low spec, cloth seats) a Sorrento, Sportage, a few Impalas, and take your pick of full-size sedans. I took a 2018 Fusion because it was one of the few cars with leather seats. Even more disappointing because the rate was pretty high. Upgrade spots had an Evoque, 2x Challenger, Jeep Wrangler.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:59 pm

I was there at noon.

PC lot had a QX30. Also a Range Rover Discover. Upgrade was 2x challengers as mentioned above. I grabbed a 300, I think the one I got on Saturday. 8k miles but Adaptive Cruise control, lane departure, so I like that. No fusions. I'm seeing less of them and taurus compared to last couple months. Lots of malibus.

I did see a reserved GLC 300, so I can verify there is at least a benz in stock at dtw.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:35 am

arrived Tuesday morning. PC lineup was lame. a few minivans and Chevy Impalas.

however, among the sea of boring, my eye caught ONE dodge challenger, which had a HEMI V8......so that made my morning better. only had 2k miles on it but did NOT have a new car smell, and was kind of dirty on the inside. had 1/2 tank of gas. for a car with only 2k miles, it looked like its been through stuff
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:44 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Sunday, 6/24 around 4:00PM

Looks like this location just got in a shipment of new Buicks - a boatload of new LaCrosse and Regal models on the PC aisle today.

Other than the Buick sedans, it was a sedan-fest save for a Buick Encore and a Jeep Cherokee Limited:

4X Infiniti Q50
1X Infiniti Q70
1X Infiniti QX30
2X Cadillac XTS
3X Chevrolet Impala (Premier and LT)
5X Chrysler 300 (S, C, AWD, base flavors)
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:24 am

Stopped back here yesterday (Tuesday) evening - brief update

PC:
1X Mercedes GLC300
1X Nissan Armada
2X Dodge Challenger
1X Jeep Cherokee Limited
1X Infiniti Q50
1X Buick LaCrosse
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
On the Hertz website I can reserve a (V), Jeep Wrangler (or similar) for $46/day. I'm thinking of getting it, just for fun while I'm in the area for a few days. Seems like a good deal to me. An intermediate (C) is $31.

After reading this thread I'm a bit concerned though. My flight would arrive around midnight on a Friday. If I reserve this vehicle, would they hold it for me? Would it be in an assigned spot (versus Ultimate Choice)?

Also--how early are the returns staffed at DTW? I'd have a very early flight out. I've been charged for gas elsewhere in the past, and it would be nice not to go through the hassle. Or does that not usually happen there, provided I return it full.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:51 am

They'll probably put it in a reserved spot for you. It's a 24 hour location so I wouldn't worry about staffing on returns - and there are plenty of early morning flights out of DTW so they staff up appropriately. They also have the new Drop-and-Go lines being rolled out across the Hertz system where you leave the car and they email you a receipt. I haven't heard of "gas scams" at this location but I usually keep my rental gas receipts for a couple weeks anyways just to be on the safe side.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Carnage today in the early afternoon. As we arrived on the shuttle bus the driver told everyone to pick from President's Circle. 5* and Gold were empty. There were more people than there were cars in Ultimate Choice, so people were just stood around in the front PC row taking whatever arrived in the space nearest them. A queue doesn't really work when people have different reservations and criteria.

They appeared to be doing their best to clean cars and get them out to PC as quickly as possible. No vehicle assignments were being done at the desk. It's probably more important to have cars available for people who are in a rush to get somewhere and just need anything with wheels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.