Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at SFO; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at SFO; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by frequentfiler
For whatever reason, Luxury is cheaper than all the SUV options for my dates.
But is it cheaper than C? And if not, is it close enough to C that you'd be happy to pay that much more for a Chrysler 300 over an Impala or even a Camry?
Old Nov 30, 2019, 12:10 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Arrived Thanksgiving Day around 12:30 PM; PC area had four or five Challenger R/T, two or three Camaro SS, a Buick Cascada covertible, Ford EcoSport SUV, a Nissan Murano SV, VW Atlas SUV, a few Kia Optima sedans, a Chevy Impala Premier, and an Infiniti Q50, which I took. It's a G4 2019 AWD in 3.0t Luxe trim, CA plates, 13,000 miles on the odometer, and working Sirius/XM.
jim32190 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 10:52 am

Arriving 12/19 around 6.30pm

Will I have better selection at National with EA/EE or at Hertz with Five Star ? Price difference is negligible.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:16 pm

Is selection really most important to you? Absolutely better rewards with National now. Free days come faster, can be changed after booking unlike Hertz now, and can be used for expensive one-ways with no blackout dates.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
PC at SFO this evening (Saturday around 7pm) was stacked. Every spot filled.

Countless Dodge Chargers and Challengers.
Multiple Chrysler 300, with many (most?) of them being 300S and AWD.
Multiple Mustangs, including several soft-tops, plus one GT 5.0 hardtop.
Multiple Camaro, including at least one soft-top.
Multiple Cadillac XTS
A few Implalas
A Merc SLC300
An Infinity QX60 AWD
A Cadillac XT5
A Buick Cascada
Several other SUVs, including a Mitsubishi Outlander, a VW Tiguan, and a few others I didn't look at
Plus a few random full sizes.

Took the Mustang GT
missingcolours likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Again emphasizing that these station-specific "What Kind of Cars to Expect" threads are at best POINTLESS and at worst MISLEADING, I will present a contrasting recent experience at SFO. This was a Friday around 2300 (lots of flight delays due WX that night) but nearly every PC space was filled. Just not with anything decent per below. I took one of two low mileage Civics as it was about the best thing available in PC.

Originally Posted by docbert
PC at SFO this evening (Saturday around 7pm) was stacked. Every spot filled.
Countless Dodge Chargers and Challengers.
Multiple Chrysler 300, with many (most?) of them being 300S and AWD.
Well, duh. One can find plenty of Chargers, Challengers, and 300s AT EVERY HERTZ STATION IN THE COUNTRY. And they all suck!
Multiple Mustangs, including several soft-tops, plus one GT 5.0 hardtop.
Zero Mustangs when I was there.
Multiple Camaro, including at least one soft-top.
One hardtop Camaro in PC.
Multiple Cadillac XTS
Not a single Cadillac product in PC
A Merc SLC300
Bwahahahaha. Dream on. No Mercedes Benz in sight. Heck, not even a Mexican Benz A220 which I'm growing to like.
An Infinity QX60 AWD
SFO PC was infinitely short of Infinitis. Not a single Infiniti to be found.
A Cadillac XT5
See above.
A Buick Cascada
What's a Cascada? A convertible? If so, there was one Buick convertible in PC. Just what one needs for December in NorCal.

I think you get the point. My experience was completely different than yours. And these threads are useless.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 15, 2019 at 5:26 pm Reason: rude comment with masked profanity removed, as it violated this site's TOS
Old Dec 15, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Herb687
I think you get the point. My experience was completely different than yours. And these threads are useless.
I disagree. If you look at any one post in isolation (as you've seemingly done), then yes, it gives a warped view of what things are like.

But if you look at the combination of posts, and patterns, then that changes. In fact, even my post prior to the one you quoted, which was a similar time to your experience (late Friday evening) shows a similar stark range as you were saying.

Looking through this thread will show that at times SFO does have some great cars available, whilst at other times they don't. Look through some of the other airport threads, and you'll see very few reports of good ranges in PC. You can even get a feel for a good time to arrive if you want something good. (eg, there's enough posts in the SJC thread to show that late on Friday is a bad time there too, whilst other times can be much better).

If you want a guarantee of something better than a full-size, then book it! There's zero guarantee of anything better than a F, so complaining about a thread that documents the fact that (some) Hertz locations DO go above and beyond doesn't make a lot of sense to me...

One way or another, the simple fact is that I did have a choice of the vehicles I listed, and as I said, I picked the blue Mustang GT - which was most certainly well above the Intermediate that I'd booked and paid for!

Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta SM, Marriott Plat , Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, IHG Spire
5-Star a little after noon today:

All I could hear was Oprah in my head "You get a minivan and you get a minivan and you get a minivan..."

Seriously, all minivans, except a Kia Optima which I grabbed. Decent car but the Android Auto/Apple Car Play doesn't work which is annoying.

I mean it was a lot cheaper than National, so I get what I paid for.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:51 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Finally, a decent selection at SFO in the PC area. Took the MBz 300SLC, but regretted it as it has a very harsh ride on the city streets, especially potholes. Nice ride on the freeway though.
anteater likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:19 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by rbAA
Finally, a decent selection at SFO in the PC area. Took the MBz 300SLC, but regretted it as it has a very harsh ride on the city streets, especially potholes. Nice ride on the freeway though.
Thats a unicorn, normally $25 system minimum paid upgrade.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:02 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Originally Posted by damnyourefine
Actually, there were 4 of them in the PC aisle. It's a hardtop convertible, so January in San Francisco is not convertible weather and they're just trying to make up for the lousy vehicle selection most times.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by damnyourefine
Not common, but far from a unicorn. I've seen them available at least 4-5 times over the past few years (and they are included in at least 2 of the lists I've posted to this thread)
Old Jan 24, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rbAA
Actually, there were 4 of them in the PC aisle. It's a hardtop convertible, so January in San Francisco is not convertible weather and they're just trying to make up for the lousy vehicle selection most times.
I've seen the SLC300 several times at SFO, but every time I saw it, they were 20k+ in mileage and very beat up.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by kxc262
I've seen the SLC300 several times at SFO, but every time I saw it, they were 20k+ in mileage and very beat up.
Yeah, this one had 30k+ on it but still in decent shape.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by docbert
Not common, but far from a unicorn. I've seen them available at least 4-5 times over the past few years (and they are included in at least 2 of the lists I've posted to this thread)
4-5 times over a ‘few years’ falls into highly uncommon in my book. I’ve never seen one in PC at any Hertz UC location. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.