Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at SFO; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Consolidated "Renting at SFO; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by shablagoo
Landing at 7PM on a Friday this week. What are my odds of anything decent in the PC aisles that late?
How was selection? I'm there around 11pm Friday night in mid June and a bit worried, it's a Napa trip for me but just realized lots of commencements/graduations that weekend.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:47 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

SFO - Late Tuesday night

Picked up a car last Tuesday, late Tuesday night, after 10 pm. Selection at the PC's row was again not the most exciting. The usual
- Nissan Altima's
- Cheverolet's
- a couple of Honda HRV ( I took one of them) both had low mileage
- Nissan Sentra
- Camry's

Only standout one was a Dodge - which I did not pick especially with current gas prices.

Although new, I found the HRV to be quite a rubbish car. No power and badly designed interior. The CRV is a much better option.

Anyone knows why these days Hertz does not have anymore Hybrid cars? Even all the Toyota models that they have are non-hybrid versions.

Cheers!

ps: On the day I returned my car, and had a quick peak at the PC row on a early Sunday morning, it was still nothing too exciting.
dagangwood and Ordpc like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:30 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Arrived at SFO on July 2nd afternoon, gold, 5* were utterly empty. About a dozen cars at PC. Upon returning on July 4th afternoon, cars were all back, with a fully restocked lot. Saw one BMW X1, a few Lexus FS, a few Infinity, one Cadillac XT4, and one Genisis. Otherwise the usual.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Anyone arrive here past midnight recently and they are open? Website says 5:30AM - 12AM but a recent review says they are open 24/7 but doesn't mention the time. I land at 12:30AM and booked it at 11:30PM but worried I won't be able to get a car.

Edit: Called Pres line cause they don't pick up locally and they will close at midnight. Guess Turo it is this time.
Sneeaky likes this.

Last edited by cubeman; Sep 8, 2022 at 8:15 am
Old Sep 9, 2022, 2:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cubeman
Anyone arrive here past midnight recently and they are open? Website says 5:30AM - 12AM but a recent review says they are open 24/7 but doesn't mention the time. I land at 12:30AM and booked it at 11:30PM but worried I won't be able to get a car.

Edit: Called Pres line cause they don't pick up locally and they will close at midnight. Guess Turo it is this time.
I picked up at 12:15 AM a couple days ago, all the counters were unstaffed but there was one exit lane open. I wouldn't count on getting a car if you land at 12:30, though.
Auto Enthusiast, Ordpc and cubeman like this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 10:13 am

Looking for rentals Oct 10-13th, and not a single Economy/Compact to be had. Are things still just crazy busy, or is this a new strategy?
Old Sep 30, 2022, 11:35 am

Nationwide it seems to be a new strategy. Most OEMs discontinued small cars for the North American market. So it seems quite common recently to see larger cars cheaper than smaller ones, and even then, more SUV free upgrades.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 11:20 pm

Any recent data points?

Booked an L4 from Hertz SFO and I have president's circle. Any ideas what group I'm most likely to get as the "Guaranteed Upgrade"? Will it be most likely T? Just curious what to expect, thanks in advance
Old Nov 10, 2022, 4:13 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Welcome to flymetothetalk!

SUV are not in scope for the guaranteed upgrades for President's Circle members; you will either be assigned a vehicle from that class such as an Explorer or you may be assigned a larger vehicle but it would be as a courtesy exception and not a policy-based one. Your options are to accept what is assigned, look for and take a superior vehicle in Ultimate Choice if you can find one, or speak with a human agent and work with them on a solution (but again, you are not guaranteed a status-based upgrade).
Old Nov 10, 2022, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Welcome to flymetothetalk!

SUV are not in scope for the guaranteed upgrades for President's Circle members; you will either be assigned a vehicle from that class such as an Explorer or you may be assigned a larger vehicle but it would be as a courtesy exception and not a policy-based one. Your options are to accept what is assigned, look for and take a superior vehicle in Ultimate Choice if you can find one, or speak with a human agent and work with them on a solution (but again, you are not guaranteed a status-based upgrade).
Thanks for the reply, i havenít seen anything explain that SUVs donít get free upgrade, wish they were more clear on that.

Can anyone speak to whether the pathfinder is the most likely vehicle for L4, or if the other vehicles in the class are likely? The pathfinder 3rd row seems to be the smallest of all cars in the Hertz L4 fleet.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 4:45 pm

Programs: National EE, Avis PP
Originally Posted by flymetothetalk
Thanks for the reply, i havenít seen anything explain that SUVs donít get free upgrade, wish they were more clear on that.

Can anyone speak to whether the pathfinder is the most likely vehicle for L4, or if the other vehicles in the class are likely? The pathfinder 3rd row seems to be the smallest of all cars in the Hertz L4 fleet.
L4 is a somewhat broad category, potential for something American as well

It also explicitly says that upgrades are valid up to full-size, though it doesn't hurt to ask. I've gotten a free upgrade to a Mustang GT in KOA once by asking.
flymetothetalk likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 11:06 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Arrived last night (Saturday) around 1945 to a very empty lot. PC only had about 6-8 vehicles, the nicest of which was a Genesis G70 sedan. I noted a Dodge Charger and a few other unremarkable sedans. For SUV the largest was a Kia Sorrento (L4, flymetothetalk ) then a Hyundai Santa Fe and a Ford Escape Titanium with a huge dent in the liftgate.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 6:44 am

Thursday morning Dec 29 was.... embarrassing. Gold and 5 Star were full of Malibus and Altimas, and PC was... I mean, it wasn't EMPTY because there were a few cars there, but i don't think a single one was a 2021/2022 model. I saw a nice looking Encore GX that had 50k miles on it. I went to National.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 10:23 am

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Any further updates on SUV availability Im arriving from UK on Saturday to SFO
Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Gold; DL Silver; Amtrak Select Plus;Hilton Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Picked up a car at 2PM on Sunday, February 12th The PC area was full of cars and probably more than half were Tesla Model 3s. Otherwise a bunch of Mustangs and the usual SUVs (Kias and Fords were what I mostly saw). Also saw one Range Rover. I picked up a Tesla with 98% charge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.