Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Fuel Scam

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I usually rent around 200 days a year and dumped Hertz after they checked my car in a day later in February than actually turned in.
Took me two weeks to get corrected.
Also I had issues with exorbitant OW fees.
Fortunately both Enterprise and National had a status match to my President's Club
KenTarmac, TXJeepGuy and dhturk like this.

Last edited by bslsailor; Jul 7, 2021 at 10:56 am
Old Jul 7, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
In the last couple of months there have been multiple press reports about Hertz charging self-described non-smokers with exorbitant fees for smoking in the vehicles during their rental periods, mostly because unnamed employees had "smelled smoke." LA Times article here. (If you need a subscription, Jalopnik does a good summation here.)

Elliot Advocacy also documents multiple cases of Hertz adding on dubious $400 smoking fees. (Elliot Advocacy article.)

Today another report came from the LA Times describing how a renter was charged a $100 cleaning fee after she reported the car already unclean and she even found a used condom in it. Story here.

Elliot Advocacy reports that a majority of recent dubious smoking fee charges have been coming from either Hertz or Hertz-owned brands Dollar and Thrifty. There is speculation that this is due to Hertz' shaky current financial situation and they are trying to squeeze dollars out of customers wherever they can.

I always found Hertz to be one of the "upscale" agencies. I've been willing to spend a few dollars more to use them because in general the lines are shorter (if I have to use a line at all) and they've never seemed to play games like high-pressure upselling for insurance or larger-class cars. But despite being a "Five Star" status member these reports are disappointing and making me think twice about using them. I've used Avis twice since May and have had zero problems with them.
I was a victim over Christmas at Hertz Boston Logan. My father had been hospitalized and on top of that after a 11 hour rental they slapped me with a $400 smoking fee. It was additional stress and two months later after an AMEX dispute and threatening legal action I was finally refunded.
KRSW, anteater and dhturk like this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 1:38 pm
Suspended

If this is true, it's very unfortunate and I hope Hertz addresses it immediately. Personally, I have nothing against Hertz and use them when mandated by work and so forth, but they surely aren't the 'upscale' car rental agency you speak of. Avis, National and Enterprise are certainly more 'upscale'.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 1:45 pm

I used to trust gate and return agents at major airports when they say you won't be charged and it's unnecessary to document such things until $350 cleaning fee hit me.
Now I simply take enough photo/video as proof including both interior and exterior of the car before leaving/upon returning and even document if the car smells like cigarette factory on the pre-inspection sheet.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 4:53 am

Arbitration clause, folks. Hertz is required to pay your filing fees and it's very easy.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 10:05 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jizen
... even document if the car smells like cigarette factory on the pre-inspection sheet.
If this is becoming a trend with Hertz, perhaps one should note on every rental's pre-inspection sheet that the car smells of smoke....
Old Jul 8, 2021, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cblaisd
If this is becoming a trend with Hertz, perhaps one should note on every rental's pre-inspection sheet that the car smells of smoke....
I would go further and state the car smells of tobacco, was not cleaned, and has dirt and pet hair throughout - that should pretty much cover every angle in their scam. The "there was a condom on the back seat" is purely optional, but I would be checking very carefully for detritus before driving off, just for personal safety.

No matter who we rent from, we have a set task to wipe down the entire interior down to the belt buckles with our Chlorox wipes until soaked even before stepping inside the car. There is no way those Hertz cars, or the cars of any rental car vendor, have been cleaned anywhere near those nonsense sanitation "standards" they promote - the car likely gets a quick interior spritz of cleaner, a quick 30 second wipe, an even faster vacuum, and someone slaps one of those ridiculous stickers on the door that remind everyone that you're a tourist driving a rental car
polinka, Oakshadow, m907 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 2:05 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Hertz cars were not clean before the pandemic, much less so now. Gold clean seal lmao
mikew99, Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by jim32190
Hertz cars were not clean before the pandemic, much less so now. Gold clean seal lmao
They don't even take off the broken seal, I have yet to find a car with a non-broken clean seal. I guess Hertz assumes I won't notice that it is broken since maybe I found one on the driver door, always some other door.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:45 pm

The car I rented did not have a seal (of course, it wasn't cleaned before I picked it up, given the manager had been driving it). There was some sort of stain on the hump in the second row of the SUV (probably milkshake or something similar from a kid). Because we had a dog in it, I ended up washing the car so I could vacuum it out. I think the car was returned cleaner than I received it.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
They don't even take off the broken seal, I have yet to find a car with a non-broken clean seal. I guess Hertz assumes I won't notice that it is broken since maybe I found one on the driver door, always some other door.
The sticker doesn't make much sense at UC locations since people will frequently open the doors to look at a car then walk away.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
I was a victim over Christmas at Hertz Boston Logan. My father had been hospitalized and on top of that after a 11 hour rental they slapped me with a $400 smoking fee. It was additional stress and two months later after an AMEX dispute and threatening legal action I was finally refunded.
Logan has tended to be short on return agents in the late afternoon for the past couple years - I'm usually returning cars around 5 for a flight a little after 6, so I'll just leave the keys and go. They tried to charge me an extra day once based on the time they finally got around to checking it in, 6 or so hours later, rather than when I dropped it off. I sent them a copy of my boarding pass showing my flight out of BOS was before my required return time and they reversed it. I've also had occasional problems with them charging fuel because I'm a few miles under the threshold where they'll automatically charge fuel unless you show them a receipt. When I drop the car and go now I always take a geotagged/timestamped picture of the odometer, the fuel gauge, and my fuel receipt before I get out of the car.

Originally Posted by m907
The sticker doesn't make much sense at UC locations since people will frequently open the doors to look at a car then walk away.
Probably because 2/3 of the cars already smell like someone smoked in them and they were poorly cleaned. I've had my share of cars that smelled like poorly cleaned post-smoker rentals but fortunately they've never tried to charge me the cleaning fee.
KRSW and dhturk like this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA MM
This does raise an interesting point. We routinely check the exterior of a rental vehicle for damage, and get it noted. But I, at least, don't think much about the interior. The car I returned earlier today had a ripped interior side panel and some damage to an interior handle. Fortunately they did not try to blame it on me.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Yes I started this thread but I inadvertently got a pre-paid non-refundable reservation with Hertz! It was through Priceline "Express Deals" that are non-refundable and you don't know exactly which rental company you'll get when booking. Priceline did indicate it will be "one of these companies" and listed Avis, National and you know who. This was definitely much cheaper than the published rates even with Costco, AAA and/or other coupons.

A little apprehensive, but armed with this knowledge of shenanigans, upon pick-up I plan to say I smell cigarette stench and animal poo, see stains and hairs everywhere, that there are scratches and dents all over the exterior and that the engine is "making strange noises." I'll add the used condom to boot. Photos will be taken before and after and I'll drop off the car earlier than usual to ensure a human checks me out and confirms everything is okay. I'll report here if there are issues.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 5:24 am

Angry They ripped me off too

Recently, I returned a car to the Frankfurt-am-Main station in Germany. I was accused of having dog fur in the car. I told the rep that no, I did not bring a dog from the USA to ferry around Germany and in fact have never owned a dog. On my return to LAX, I rented a car at the Hertz station there and they gave me a car with 1/4 tankful of petrol. I reported it and it was supposed to be duly noted. I returned the car the next day with 1/2 tankful (four gallons more than I'd received) yet was billed $53 to top off the tank. I contacted them through chat, facebook, e-mail, and a letter yet each of those enquiries was ignored. I disputed the transaction with my credit card company and it is still in dispute status. So, don't rent from Hertz -- they're high as hell and then they double the cost at the end with spurious, fraudulent charges.

Last edited by jason8612; Jul 28, 2021 at 12:42 pm Reason: FT rules pt 12.2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.