Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Fuel Scam

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Fuel Scam - take photos!!

There was a recent consumer report here in Europe advising people to check carefully when returning cars and to take a time stamped photo of the dashboard showing the fuel gauge.

I never thought Hertz in UK would try this scam on, but I was hit with a GBP 100 fuel charge recently after I had retuned the car full.

I am still trying to get the money refunded, I had to send them a copy of the refuelling bill. Silence since then.....

I wish I had taken a photo of the fuel gauge so my advice to everyone is to do this with every company
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by jonathanjo
There was a recent consumer report here in Europe advising people to check carefully when returning cars and to take a time stamped photo of the dashboard showing the fuel gauge.

I never thought Hertz in UK would try this scam on, but I was hit with a GBP 100 fuel charge recently after I had retuned the car full.

I am still trying to get the money refunded, I had to send them a copy of the refuelling bill. Silence since then.....

I wish I had taken a photo of the fuel gauge so my advice to everyone is to do this with every company
See also this recent thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...rned-full.html
Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A picture of the fuel guage is not really that good on its own since a car can be quite down on fuel yet show full ; the receipt for the diesel ( or petrol potentially ) is much better

If you phoned Hertz Customer Relations in the UK, I am surprised if there has been no response since they do have a service time iirc of 7-10 working days and found that they do meet that timescale

If you contacted Hertz elsewhere , then may be a lot longer as the local Hertz liaises with UK Hertz

If you did contact a non UK customer relations, might be quicker if you phone the UK one and lodge an issue there and do make sure to get the reference number
Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:57 am

Had this issue with Thrifty and Avis here in the UK. I always make sure they sign the vehicle in properly and keep the copy saying the car was returned on full!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:32 pm

Hertz - Incorrect Fuel Info

Last weekend, I rented with Hertz at LAS (A6- Mgrs Special) and ended up getting a 2014 Mazda 2.

The car was perfectly fine, and even on the 4 hour drive to Utah and then back it held up well and recorded decent mileage. As I always do, I filled up before just before I returned. Pulled in, showed the attendant the gauge indicated full and went on my merry way. The receipt was emailed to me.

After 4 days, I noticed a close to $60 charged to my card from Hertz. I called and they mentioned they had done an audit and this particular car needed to be refueled. They said they filled the car with 12.88 gallons. I assured them this could not be the case as the car physically holds only 11.3 gallons, and the car had been fully refueled prior to return. That's not even physically possible- fuel would have been spilling out of the tank. They obviously mixed up the cars.

The customer service rep was adamant that the Mazda 2, according to Hertz, holds a total of 16 gallons. The best she could do for me without a receipt was offer me 50% of the total fuel cost. I told her they could go to the owners manual or Mazda's website and see their blatant error. She told me a supervisor would contact me in 5 days, and by that point I had found my receipt.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? I wonder if people actually get charged for 16 gallons on a Mazda 2- one of the smallest cars on the market- because of Hertz inaccurate information.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:35 am

I have experienced this myself and I think it is Hertz's normal scam behavior. Returned car at ATL with fuel 8/8 and kept receipt, a few days later my card was charged more than 100 USD for gas (11 gallons or some other insane amount) and service charge (received a paper letter about it to the address I used for booking)! One single call to customer service and my card was charged back, no additional questions asked. It was done in such a manner that I think they just try it quite often and if customer fights back they give the stolen money back right away...
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by dmitrijsadlo
I have experienced this myself and I think it is Hertz's normal scam behavior. Returned car at ATL with fuel 8/8 and kept receipt, a few days later my card was charged more than 100 USD for gas (11 gallons or some other insane amount) and service charge (received a paper letter about it to the address I used for booking)! One single call to customer service and my card was charged back, no additional questions asked. It was done in such a manner that I think they just try it quite often and if customer fights back they give the stolen money back right away...
I agree 100%

the op is just straight up theft that they get away with because people don't want to be bothered, so it goes on and on.
I'd comment on the twitter feed, as well as contacting hertz management upstream, the local attorney general, and the bbb, as well as anybody else you can think of.

also, I'd suggest people just dispute these kind of charges with their credit card company if they have any kind of documentation.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:44 am

Not nice to hear about this sort of rubbish, it is usually the branch the guys who check in the so called car, CS are at times useless
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
$14 without gas receipt

Notice of Change to Hertz® Gold Rental Terms
The Notice and Revision below hereby amends and replaces Section 8. “Refueling Options” of The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Rental Terms, Part II. B. - Terms And Conditions Applicable To Rentals In The United States And Canada. This notice of modification is provided in accordance with the Terms of your Gold Plus Rewards Membership. Making a Program rental subsequent to the effective date will constitute an acceptance of the updated Terms.

Summary
Beginning on 7/15/2015 there will be a new refueling option for Hertz rentals in the United States. This Express Fuel option applies at select locations to rentals during which the entire distance driven is 75 miles or less. If you drive 75 miles or less and do not purchase gas, or purchase gas but fail to produce a receipt, a charge of $13.99 will be applied. If you drive 75 miles or less and produce a receipt of a fuel purchase made during your rental, the $13.99 charge will not be applied.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by sosafan
Notice of Change to Hertz® Gold Rental Terms
The Notice and Revision below hereby amends and replaces Section 8. “Refueling Options” of The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Rental Terms, Part II. B. - Terms And Conditions Applicable To Rentals In The United States And Canada. This notice of modification is provided in accordance with the Terms of your Gold Plus Rewards Membership. Making a Program rental subsequent to the effective date will constitute an acceptance of the updated Terms.

Summary
Beginning on 7/15/2015 there will be a new refueling option for Hertz rentals in the United States. This Express Fuel option applies at select locations to rentals during which the entire distance driven is 75 miles or less. If you drive 75 miles or less and do not purchase gas, or purchase gas but fail to produce a receipt, a charge of $13.99 will be applied. If you drive 75 miles or less and produce a receipt of a fuel purchase made during your rental, the $13.99 charge will not be applied.
Terrible for the renter - that assumes you used 4-6 gallons at current gas prices. That said, I usually take my gas receipt with me anyway when I return the car. It will just be even more important to do so going forward.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:51 pm
Used to be hamajicky

$14 without gas receipt

Hertz continues its swim to the bottom of the barrel. What a terrible company. As soon as my Costco amex goes byebye next March with my 5% off hertz purchases, it's byebye hertz for me.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:59 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
What a horribly anti-customer move.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
This is beginning to be industry standard practice. Always keep your receipt.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL PM
Thumbs down

Piss poor idea. How will gas receipts work for off-hours key drops? I need my receipts for my work travel, but now I'm supposed to include it in the key drop if I return outside their business hours.

Another car rental company is starting to sound better and better to me!

Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:05 pm

Just got the email as well. Epic fail of Hertz.

Keep your receipt at all times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.