Hertz Fuel Scam

Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:05 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
Once they legally close your contract upon return and mark it "Full", how can they legally come after you for these charges?

Seems like this is something they would lose in court 100% of the time...With out even providing a gas receipt. Once contract is closed, you are no longer liable. What if one of their workers took the car on a joy ride to Burger King during lunch. This all sounds ridiculous.

I highly doubt they refuel gauges that show full (even though some cars show full until about 2-3 gallons has been used). Multiple times I've been in cars that showed full, but upon leaving lot it immediately went down, meaning 2-3 gals were already gone. Of course at fueling prior to return, I had to put a few more gallons than I knew I used based on my mileage.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by bulgarianfreak55
Once they legally close your contract upon return and mark it "Full", how can they legally come after you for these charges?
How? Because your rental receipt has four very important words printed on it:

CHARGES SUBJECT TO AUDIT

That's what gives them the legal wiggle room to adjust your charges after you return the car.

Now, having a receipt showing one charge and then getting another charge on your credit card gives you some arguing power in front of either a credit card company's dispute resolution folks or in front of a judge/jury if it comes to it, but it is not an ironclad defense.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred
On the other side of this, last week I was running late and didn't have time to refuel. I had used half a tank and the total fuel charge was only around $30. The fine print on the receipt says they charge $0.135 cents/mile or around $3.30 per gallon. Didn't they used to charge something crazy like $9/gallon?

It's nice to see them not gouging customers who don't have time to refuel anymore, if I'm remembering correctly.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: SPG100, Marriott Plat, United 1K, Hertz Pres, Peasant Rest:)
OMG Exactly the same thing ahppened to me. So the classiest part is that I drive literally 80 miles during 4 day rental, yet when they came back to me, they said the car was missing like 4 or 5 gallons... First of all, 4 or 5 gallons are like a third of a tank... How do you miss that? Two I dont have a receipt but I have a credit card charge from the gas station. That is soooo total BS.

Im going straight to my CC company, dont even feel like fighting with them (50 rentals a year, same 4 days every week, same 80-100 miles each week)... Idiots
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by walukanis
OMG Exactly the same thing ahppened to me. So the classiest part is that I drive literally 80 miles during 4 day rental, yet when they came back to me, they said the car was missing like 4 or 5 gallons... First of all, 4 or 5 gallons are like a third of a tank... How do you miss that? Two I dont have a receipt but I have a credit card charge from the gas station. That is soooo total BS.

Im going straight to my CC company, dont even feel like fighting with them (50 rentals a year, same 4 days every week, same 80-100 miles each week)... Idiots
I'd be careful with that. That could be a quick trip to the Do Not Rent list.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred
I'm pretty sure his stay on the DNR list will be short once the right person sees he has 50 rentals a year.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I barely used any gas on a 4 day rental last Nov. I remembered these posts and made sure I got a reciept for the $3.50 worth of gas I put in.

When I offered the receipt they said they were no longer doing that.

The was at the MCO location.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:13 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by jackal
How? Because your rental receipt has four very important words printed on it:

CHARGES SUBJECT TO AUDIT

That's what gives them the legal wiggle room to adjust your charges after you return the car.

Now, having a receipt showing one charge and then getting another charge on your credit card gives you some arguing power in front of either a credit card company's dispute resolution folks or in front of a judge/jury if it comes to it, but it is not an ironclad defense.
Fair point, but once you hand the car back to them, its their responsibility. So the burden is on them to prove you used the fuel and didnt refuel, and that their employees didn't joyride to burger king for lunch.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: WN RR A-List Preferred & CP, Alaska Air MVP Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
Sorry to hear that so many of you have had issues with getting refunds on fuel charges added after the fact.

I have had it happen a few times in the last couple of years, but each time I called and it was reversed with little issue.

I am President's Circle, so perhaps that is why.
Old May 15, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
I just got hit with a fee for $98 refuelling, which was in Boston (this sounds like a common place to incur charges). Anyways, I didn't keep my rental contract but made sure the car was full (filled about 15 miles from the airpirt), and don't have the receipt for the gas refill, and could show that I paid for it via my statement. The car was a Ford Focus, averaging 38 MPG on the computer.

Does anyone have any tips? I do not want to be on a non-renter list, but also feel that I shouldn't pay the ~$100, as none of us should. I did already dispute the charge.

I find it troubling because they sent me an invoice via mail, with no confirmations for dropping off the car (where I did receive one for picking the car up by email). This seems very strange, and very illegal

Last edited by AJCU; May 15, 2018 at 5:52 am
Old May 15, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Not sure how I missed this thread, but let me provide my two cents, even though this hasnít happened to me yet.

This all started when Iíd return a vehicle after hours with no one available to check it in. I fill up as close to the return station as possible. I then ask the gas attendant for a second receipt. Upon drop off of the vehicle, I leave the receipt next to the fuel gauge and I also take a photo of it (see below).

Not sure how Hertz could dispute this.

AutoSlash and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always save the fuel receipt, and I always take a picture of the dashboard showing the odometer and fuel gauge, but I’ve never actually combined the two!
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:38 am

The odometer is important because their fleet refueling records should have the mileage when they add the gas. Itís helpful when disputing fishy charges.
jackal likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I always save the fuel receipt, and I always take a picture of the dashboard showing the odometer and fuel gauge, but Iíve never actually combined the two!
You should take a VIDEO documenting that you're at the return site too.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:01 pm

Angry Hertz gas scam

Rented a car from Hertz at Ft Myers Fl airport. Returned car with full tank (filled at airport Exxon) less than a mile from rental car return. Was in a hurry and did not get a final bill from Hertz. Next day noticed a charge of $164.73. No detail available from receipt online(may have to wait 7 days?). Called and found it was a charge for gas-really?? Was told to submit gas receipt which I did. Lucky I have Exxon Speedpass to retain receipts. Submitted receipt-still waiting for credit. Retain your gas receipts and take a picture of the gas gauge in the car with odometer when you return-maybe even take a video of Hertz employee saying ok on gas.. They seem to be charging about $12-$14 a gallon.

Last edited by providan; Sep 5, 2018 at 4:22 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.