Hertz Fuel Scam

Old Nov 11, 2021, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Did you drive less than 75 miles during the rental?
No, I drove about 1000km. I also have absolutely no idea how that would or could be an excuse.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
And of course the flip side of this, whether scam or not, is, how many times have you actually rented a car with a really full tank? It is always surprising to me how much better apparent gas mileage I get after I've done the first fill up. (usually I'm renting for 2-3 weeks)
Are you filling with premium fuel? My understanding is rental companies use regular 87 octane across the board so maybe MPG difference from better gas
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by glostix
Are you filling with premium fuel? My understanding is rental companies use regular 87 octane across the board so maybe MPG difference from better gas
No, I am sure that what they are talking about is how a lot of people seem to fill the rental car juuuusssst until the needle *touches* the full mark, and then drops by 1/8 of a tank before you turn out of the lot. I was given an F150 by National in Fresno one time. I had it for two days and drove it a total of 11 miles. It took 4 gallons to fill, so like 15 bucks at the time.

Either it wasn't full when they gave it to me, or a brand new F150 only got 3 miles to the gallon.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 11:46 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by elventhor
No, I drove about 1000km. I also have absolutely no idea how that would or could be an excuse.
Not relevant in your case, but Hertz does (or at least did at one time) have a policy that if you drive 75 miles or less during the rental period, they automatically assess a refueling fee unless you provide a gas receipt. On the surface, it sounds rather scammy, and we wouldn't argue with those who say that it is, but we'd also point out that it could be argued that the policy could discourage someone driving a modest distance where the gas tank still shows as full and not replace the gas they used, thus screwing the next renter as pointed out by others above.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...fuel/29954649/
https://consumerist.com/2015/07/14/h...les-or-pay-14/

UPDATE: It looks like they did away with this policy in late 2016 but Avis supposedly still has it (actual policy here).
KRSW likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 12:09 pm

Not relevant in your case, but Hertz does (or at least did at one time) have a policy that if you drive 75 miles or less during the rental period, they automatically assess a refueling fee unless you provide a gas receipt. On the surface, it sounds rather scammy, and we wouldn't argue with those who say that it is, but we'd also point out that it could be argued that the policy could discourage someone driving a modest distance where the gas tank still shows as full and not replace the gas they used, thus screwing the next renter as pointed out by others above.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...fuel/29954649/
https://consumerist.com/2015/07/14/h...les-or-pay-14/

UPDATE: It looks like they did away with this policy in late 2016 but Avis supposedly still has it (actual policy here).

I got hit with this about 3 times in a row back when they were still doing it. I feel like they can make the policy be whatever they want it to be - I always have the option of not participating. But the thing that made this feel scammy to me was that you had to proactively *offer* the receipt to the check in agent. They never once asked me if I had one. They never said "hey, I see you drove less than 75 miles, did you get a chance to fill it back up?" They just quietly added the fee. Once I figured it out, I made a point to offer the receipt, and not one single check in agent actually looked at the piece of paper that I was offering. But I was never charged for refueling after that, either. It just felt very shady and underhanded, and was a big part of the reason (along with no/crappy "upgrades" for PC) that I moved most of my rentals to National around that time.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 7:29 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Try just attaching a photo/screenshot of your Amex statement showing the gas charge. They are usually pretty lenient about the documentation.
Any idea how long they take to respond? I sent info days ago.... no reply other than a an automated response.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 7:37 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by fwfdan
Any idea how long they take to respond? I sent info days ago.... no reply other than a an automated response.
No idea, but just send it again. If some is good, more is better.
fwfdan and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 7:56 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
No idea, but just send it again. If some is good, more is better.
I should have checked my "prior rentals" before I posted my question. The receipt now shows the rental without the FPO. I for sure grabbed that and saved it in case the credit does not show on my Amex. Easier to dispute a charge when you have a receipt that does not match the charge. I will give them a few weeks to fix it before I go to Amex.

Thanks for the info on what to do. It seems to have worked (so far)

DFW returns was a cluster that day (though they were nice enough) and normally I will not leave without a receipt in hand.
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fwfdan
I should have checked my "prior rentals" before I posted my question. The receipt now shows the rental without the FPO.
This matches my experience of emailing them a receipt. I've never received confirmation of a change, but the amount has always been updated and the money returned.
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by docbert
This matches my experience of emailing them a receipt. I've never received confirmation of a change, but the amount has always been updated and the money returned.
Credit hit my Amex today... have to say pretty fast. Should not have happened as the car was full but at least it was fast.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 5:22 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Incorrect Hertz Fuel Charge

First time this has happened to me.

I returned a car at ABQ, having declined the dubious option of having them fill the tank. I returned the car full and headed off to the airport. While waiting to board the plane I got the receipt via email, with a $144 charge to fill the tank. Their phone tree has an option for this eventuality, which suggests to me it is relatively common.

I did text back and forth with customer service, and included a screen shot of my credit card charge for gas (I didn't bother to save the pump receipt). After a long wait, they did say they would reverse the charge.

Is this unusual, or "new Hertz normal"?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 17, 2022 at 4:45 am Reason: moved into existing thread on this topic
Old Mar 10, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Rl 1950
First time this has happened to me.

I returned a car at ABQ, having declined the dubious option of having them fill the tank. I returned the car full and headed off to the airport. While waiting to board the plane I got the receipt via email, with a $144 charge to fill the tank. Their phone tree has an option for this eventuality, which suggests to me it is relatively common.

I did text back and forth with customer service, and included a screen shot of my credit card charge for gas (I didn't bother to save the pump receipt). After a long wait, they did say they would reverse the charge.

Is this unusual, or "new Hertz normal"?
I recently have a one way rental with the same issue too.
And I was charged the fuel charge 5 days after I returned the rental, which I had received a receipt on the spot without any fuel charge.
I am glad I caught the sudden charge on my credit card or else I wouldn't have noticed.
Was able to get them to reverse the charge and I had the inspection report picture from them when the car was picked up (HLE to airport one way).
From time to time I do one way rentals and I know HLE are known to not have cars with full tank of gas and this had never happened to me.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 5:54 pm

Anyone experience fraudulent refuel charges?

Be careful when renting at PHX:

On 3 out of the 4 times that I've rented from Hertz at PHX, the attendant checking my car on return has said nothing about fuel charges, but once on the plane I get an e-receipt with a charge for refueling. Fortunately I always keep the receipt from my fill-up and with that Hertz removes the charges.

I have rented from Hertz literally hundreds of times over the years and have been incorrectly charged for fuel exactly four times. Three of those errors were in PHX airport (where I have rented only four times). Seems shady.
KRSW, Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:33 pm

Do you remember what kinds of cars you got?
Old Oct 20, 2022, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I would say this pattern has gone from annoying to illegal and Hertz needs to be held accountable
Just happened to me today. I picked up a car in Eureka, Ca (my hometown) to drive 5 hours to Hayward,Ca. I havnt smoked since I was 30. Im 44 now. The office hours said 8am-6pm. They gave me an address to return the car by 6pm. I arrived at 5:05. Office closed. An employee walked out and I told her my dilemma. I bought a new car so now I have the rental and my new car. She was very aggravated telling me im on her family time. Opend the car and immediately says it smells of smoke and ashes were everywhere. No ashes existed at all. I smelled no smoke,the dealership employee that followed me did not smell smoke. She immediately charged me 400 dollars for smoking. Its a scam and I will be showing my ... when the local office opens in the morn.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.