Hertz Fuel Scam

Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond, WN CP & A-List P
Just take a picture

Works for me ---- the honest route.....

You can be honest and put the half gallon or three in upon return then show them the picture of the pump (I've never been questioned vs a paper ticket - which they wouldn't be able to keep anyway). No reason to game the process - stop pumping at 2 gallons if you've only driven 40ish miles - no reason to put 5 gallons in to address a previous renters transgressions!

Or you can take the low road and show them a picture showing a half gallon or three from a prior trip.

After hours drop offs would require a follow up phone call where one could send a picture of the picture!
Old May 23, 2016, 12:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by nitro
... After hours drop offs would require a follow up phone call where one could send a picture of the picture!
I had an early flight out of Denver last week and returned my car to the Hertz facility at DEN at 4 a.m. I was surprised that there was no one there to check in me or any of the other half dozen or so other returning renters. The only employee I could find told me to leave the keys in the car and get on the shuttle.

When I received the receipt for the rental, I was charged the $13.99 refueling fee. When I called, I was told to mail my gas receipt to [email protected]. I did, and I still haven't received an acknowledgement or refund more than 3 days later.
Old May 30, 2016, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
A little different for me as I'm a holiday renter that typically keeps a car two weeks so I don't stress about leaving it with half a tank, I just like the easy buy the tank in advance option. What does annoy me is when I need to buy petrol (gas) I can never pay at the pump because my credit card doesn't have an associated ZIP code. Would it be that painful for them to recognise a non US card and chip and pin you, I noticed some places starting to use chip and pin, maybe Publix or Walmart?
Old May 30, 2016, 10:24 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Picked up a car at DAL last week. I drove a grand total of 44 miles (to Arlington and back) and did stop and get gas by Love Field. For the first time in recent memory, the return agent asked to see the receipt.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Plat, Alaska 75k, AMEX Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
Annoyance last week at the Denver airport... Returned vehicle with <75 miles driven and announced to the check-in agent I'd just topped off and the tank was full. No request for gas receipt. Hours later receive email invoice with a $13.99 fuel surcharge. Called Hertz corporate, which advised all receipts must be physically handed to the check-in agent whether requested or not. I (like many) need this for expense purposes, but she was adamant this is policy.

Has anyone run into Hertz *requiring* they turn over paper copies? This seems unnecessary to me, as I'm sure all of 0 Hertz employees review receipts after an initial glance by the rep...
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by davis206
Has anyone run into Hertz *requiring* they turn over paper copies? This seems unnecessary to me, as I'm sure all of 0 Hertz employees review receipts after an initial glance by the rep...
They need to see it but they give it back.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Yllanes
They need to see it but they give it back.
I have never even had one touch my receipt. I could be waving a gum wrapper in their face and I don't think they would notice. They just nod and say "thanks".
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:36 pm

Yes, they don't read it, but in my experience they want to see that you have it.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:13 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'm trying to resolve a fuel charge now. I returned the car before the counter was open, for a rental with way more than 75 miles on it, and included the gas receipt (granted, it's easy for stuff to get separated in the key drop box).

I still got billed $29 in fuel service fees (roughly 3 gallons by that location's schedule of fees).

Hertz is working on the issue, but is basically saying it's a licensee location and not a corporate one, so there's not much they can do.

Annoying.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
I'm trying to resolve a fuel charge now. I returned the car before the counter was open, for a rental with way more than 75 miles on it, and included the gas receipt (granted, it's easy for stuff to get separated in the key drop box).

I still got billed $29 in fuel service fees (roughly 3 gallons by that location's schedule of fees).

Hertz is working on the issue, but is basically saying it's a licensee location and not a corporate one, so there's not much they can do.

Annoying.
Did you take a photo showing the fuel level and odometer reading when you returned the car?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:49 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
Did you take a photo showing the fuel level and odometer reading when you returned the car?
Yes. I have sent that to Hertz. They presumably forwarded it to the location, but I have heard nothing back.

I'm giving them a couple more days, then it's time to contest with Amex.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:05 pm

I received a letter from Hertz regarding a rental return in Nashville earlier in the month. I sent in my receipt showing it's their error and not mine. I was told it would take up to three days to resolve. No acknowledgement of the email after 50-some hours. I didn't take a photo of the gauge. Anyhow, I've given them exactly 72 hours to resolve this and credit my card. If I have to dispute the charge, I'm not ever renting from them again. I've told them this three times now. No one is willing to address the issue now. I've never had this problem with them over 4+ years and countless rentals. I'm very disappointed in Hertz.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Did a one way rental from an HLE to an airport location. HLE's never give you a full tank of gas. Made sure they noted it. Upon return I was later dinged for the 1/4 tank of gas. Emailed them a copy of the receipt. 3 days later I've heard nothing. They can deal with my credit card company now.

And they wonder why a former PC member doesn't rent from them much anymore.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by dougzz
I can never pay at the pump because my credit card doesn't have an associated ZIP code.
Next time try using the numbers from your post code followed by zero's until you have input 5 digits. That works for us Canadians with our Postal Codes when asked to input a Zip.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
It's been a week now. They were supposed to respond in 48 hours. They can have fun dealing with Amex now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.