Hertz Fuel Scam

Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:25 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lotus918
No matter how you spin it, sounds like just another way to shake people down for $13.99, a dollar amount most folks won't bother contesting ..
But it's not. All you have to do is do what you should be doing anyway: fill up the rental car near the airport and get a receipt at a pump. Saying anything otherwise is like bemoaning the police giving someone a ticket because they were speeding.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
But it's not. All you have to do is do what you should be doing anyway: fill up the rental car near the airport and get a receipt at a pump. Saying anything otherwise is like bemoaning the police giving someone a ticket because they were speeding.
I rent a car every week. What I've started doing as of this week is stopping at the closest gas station to Hertz and filling up the car. If it amounts to more than just a top-off, I'm saving the receipt and will ask for an adjustment when I return the car. Two can play this game.

Fortunately, the car I picked up yesterday was just fine -- a top-off amounted to less than a dollar. Well within margin.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
All the complaining and conspiracy theorists about broken pump printers!

I give my business about half and half between Avis and Hertz. Avis has done this policy for several years. The world hasn't come to an end and Avis has not gone out of business (far from it).

My observations (and some have already pointed out)
1. If you drive close to the 75 miles, the 13.99 charge is _much_ less than the per-mile fueling charge in the current program.

2. If you drive close to 75 miles and have some thirsty SUV this program can work to your advantage - especially if the previous renter did not top it off.

3. One thing to watch out for: With Avis the charge is added pre-tax. I'll assume Hertz will do the same. At some airport locations, the taxes can go over 20%, which makes that $13.99 closer to $17 or $18.

4. If you think you are being cheated by the new policy, fill the vehicle up and get a receipt. You were going to do this anyway because you needed the receipt for your expense reports, right? Oh yeah, the needle was still pointing to F so why bother.

The new policy will put a dent in the "30 mile, still showing full" cheaters out there. Suck it up and fill it up and you'll be fine.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerfmaz
...and am sick and tired of being shortchanged on gas, even though the needle is on the "full" mark
Here is one to fix this: I have just seen it implemented perfectly by Hertz. JNB South Africa airport, of all places.

As a Platinum I was surprised when they would only print me an 'unfinalized' receipt when I turned the car in. Despite having a fuel receipt, EVERY rental car gets topped off, and EVERY driver pays something in fuel. In my case it was 63 cents. I'm sure it was higher than pump price but it also ensured that the tank was as close to 100.00% full for the next renter.

(in my experience the Chrysler and Toyota vehicles are the worst for false fuel readings. In a Crysler 300 and Toyta Camry I go 80 to 100 miles before it leaves full. But at Hertz US locations, it's just as common to rent it showing full and drive 4 miles to see it under 7/8.)

Here is a second way: Hertz installs a (cheaply obtained in volume) OBD-II reader on each vehicle. They customize it to show, on a small display or using bluetooth, fuel tank percentage. I believe that although fuel gauges lie, that the OBD-II fuel percentage remaining is accurate and linear. A big challenge here would be making each vehicle mfr provide this data field. Currently not all manufactures do this.

For my own vehicles, I can remotely view my fuel qty, odometer, gps location, and check engine conditions, real time using Verizon's Delphi connect ($5 per month).

Last edited by expert7700; Jul 20, 2015 at 12:59 pm
Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sosafan
Notice of Change to Hertz® Gold Rental Terms
The Notice and Revision below hereby amends and replaces Section 8. “Refueling Options” of The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Rental Terms, Part II. B. - Terms And Conditions Applicable To Rentals In The United States And Canada. This notice of modification is provided in accordance with the Terms of your Gold Plus Rewards Membership. Making a Program rental subsequent to the effective date will constitute an acceptance of the updated Terms.

Summary
Beginning on 7/15/2015 there will be a new refueling option for Hertz rentals in the United States. This Express Fuel option applies at select locations to rentals during which the entire distance driven is 75 miles or less. If you drive 75 miles or less and do not purchase gas, or purchase gas but fail to produce a receipt, a charge of $13.99 will be applied. If you drive 75 miles or less and produce a receipt of a fuel purchase made during your rental, the $13.99 charge will not be applied.
Am I reading the bolded part correctly to say that a renter can put 10 cents worth of gas in the car on their way out of the rental car location and avoid this charge? Or is there something else in the details that specifies the need to top off the tank?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:34 pm

"Am I reading the bolded part correctly to say that a renter can put 10 cents worth of gas in the car on their way out of the rental car location and avoid this charge?"

This ^^ is an outstanding point.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:50 pm
Suspended

It doesn't say "fill it" it just says to buy gas and then to produce the receipt.

Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
It doesn't say "fill it" it just says to buy gas and then to produce the receipt.

So -- the solution. The rental contract has the date the time of pickup on it. Immediately after picking up a rental I go to the nearest gas station and top off the car. if it's significant, I'll save the receipt (which also has the date and time), and present it when I return the car for a credit.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:13 pm
Suspended

But on your contract it will say that you agree to bring it back full. So it would have to be on the F for this to work.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
But on your contract it will say that you agree to bring it back full. So it would have to be on the F for this to work.
Of course the car will be brought back full. That's not part of the equation. When the car is returned, I'll present a receipt that proves the car wasn't full when I picked it up, and ask for a matching adjustment to the final bill. It will be impossible for Hertz to refute a gas receipt evidencing a fill-up within a few minutes after pickup. All gas receipts include the date and time, as does the car rental contract.

I started doing this with my current rental. Fortunately, it only took less than a half a gallon to top off the tank, so this won't be an issue when I return this rental on Saturday. I will, however, fill up every rental I receive in the future, right after pickup, to be sure it's really full.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:36 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I've rented over a thousand cars in my life. I've experienced wrecks, tows, flats, dead batteries, mechanical disablements, lockouts and expired registrations. I've had an issue with refueling fewer than ten times and I was always able to resolve it quickly and easily.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
I've rented over a thousand cars in my life. I've experienced wrecks, tows, flats, dead batteries, mechanical disablements, lockouts and expired registrations. I've had an issue with refueling fewer than ten times and I was always able to resolve it quickly and easily.
It may be dependent on location, to some degree. It may also be that things have become much worse since those thousands of cars you've rented.

I've been traveling -- renting cars, flying, you name it -- for well over 40 years. I'm a retired foreign service officer that has flown all over the world, and am on a second career that involves nearly constant travel (although mostly domestic). Honestly -- and I'm not exaggerating -- I've never seen things this bad when it comes to customer service. The ripoffs and customer service nightmares are all over the travel industry -- you've constantly got to be on your guard. The car rental companies (the three of them that are left) have become particularly good at nefarious pricing schemes and jilting customers with crappy cars that haven't been properly cleaned, checked, and fueled.

Other customers are also a lot different than they used to be. They won't hesitate to return a car "barely full" if it will save them a couple of bucks and they can get away with it. I grew up in an era where the average person wouldn't think of being so rude.

Last edited by flyerfmaz; Jul 24, 2015 at 8:43 pm
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Why, that's nothing. I've hardly rented any cars in my life, a few times a year at most and often less than that. Nevertheless, I've experienced a wreck, a flat, a dead battery, an expired inspection sticker, a car that had to be replaced mid-rental . . . and a manual choke.

Fuel issues, too. So I started keeping fill-up receipts religiously. I haven't even had one issue since then.

But back to the choke. So there I am and the Hertz guy gives me my Peugot. Not what I wanted, really, but it was Peugots all the way down in Martinique back in those days. (They evidently had a factory on-island.) The car is parked on the side of the road. The guy flips me my keys and starts walking back towards the airport. Along the side of the road. Suddenly, I spot a knob on the dash that looks as though it might be . . . no, it can't be. I mean I'm not that old!

I shout, "Pardon monsieur, mais qu'est-ce que c'est ça?" What's this?

The guy says, "Ca, Monsieur, c'est le 'starter.'" That's the "starter."

Having no idea what "starter" means in French, I feared the worst and, yes, it turned out to be a manual choke.

The steering, the transmission and the brakes were all manual as well -- no hydraulic boost. And, for some reason, I hadn't brought driving gloves. After manhandling that little car for hours on switchback roads, wrenching the wheel back and forth, my hands were nearly bright red, every day. All that manual shifting wasn't that great either.

I've had a soft spot for Hertz ever since.

Last edited by FallenPlat; Jul 25, 2015 at 5:53 pm
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Picked up a car at Las Vegas airport a few days ago, and at the exit they gave me this with the contract :

I've got to suspect this is a location that has a lot of <75 mile rentals...

However it clearly didn't work for the previous renter of my Chevy Cruze, which had to be at least 1 gallon short of a full tank

Last edited by docbert; Sep 21, 2015 at 9:44 pm
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Avis has the same policy, but I do not know if it's enforced. It doesn't say that you have to put 2-3 gallons in, just that you have to present the receipt and the meter has to be on "F" where it was when you picked it up.

So it becomes a crapshoot - are you the driver who drives it from truly full and puts in 0.5gal just to get a receipt? Or the next driver who needs 3 gallons to get to full on a 30 mile drive?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.