Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Questions regarding specific locations (eg, "I am Renting From XXX; What Might I Get?") may be moved to specific/dedicated threads for that location. All major airport codes may be searched using FlyerTalk's search engine; otherwise, words in " " quotation marks will bypass the character limit filter.

Overview of Service and List of Existing and Future Airport Locations: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Am I Eligible? Is My Vehicle Eligible?

Q. Who can use Ultimate Choice?
Any member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is eligible to use Ultimate Choice. The areas you can select from depend on your status in the program (President's Circle, Five Star, or Gold).

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a lower class such as Economy or Compact or Manager's Special?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class (or higher, as a complimentary upgrade) in a marked space.

Q. What happens if I book a Economy or Compact but pick a higher-class car from Ultimate Choice?
A. You will likely be asked to pay the midsize rental rate by the gate agent.

Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate.

Q. What if I book a Adrenaline/Electric/Hybrid/Luxury/Prestige car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

Print Wikipost

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Yes, that is the rub. IIRC, there was no breakdown within the PC area. It would be ridiculous for someone to go have to hunt and peck somewhere to figure out which vehicle is in which class. That's why it seems unlikely that their Twitter rep was relaying the correct info.
I'm pretty skeptical too. Just passing on the data point.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 2:11 am

As a Five Star member booking an L class SUV I could obviously choose any car in the Gold/Five Star area.
Since there probably won't be anything comparable to an L class SUV where do I go next? Is an L SUV midsize or fullsize in Hertz opinion? Do i go to the midsize or fullsize row?

In case there are no L SUVs in the midsize or fullsize row, where do I go? Do i really have to wander through the lot from the Gold/Five star area to the midsize/fullsize row and end up at the counter just because i'd like to get the car class i reserved?

That seems like quite the hassle for someone who wants the car class he reserved, especially if you rent a higher class SUV and don't want to downgrade yourself.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:57 am

There is a "Reserved" section where your assigned car should be, you will get the space number in your Carfirmation email.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 6:26 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by amaterasu
As a Five Star member booking an L class SUV I could obviously choose any car in the Gold/Five Star area.
Since there probably won't be anything comparable to an L class SUV where do I go next? Is an L SUV midsize or fullsize in Hertz opinion? Do i go to the midsize or fullsize row?

In case there are no L SUVs in the midsize or fullsize row, where do I go? Do i really have to wander through the lot from the Gold/Five star area to the midsize/fullsize row and end up at the counter just because i'd like to get the car class i reserved?

That seems like quite the hassle for someone who wants the car class he reserved, especially if you rent a higher class SUV and don't want to downgrade yourself.
Yes as Yllanes said, I had booked a premium car and I was in an assigned spot since the Hertz rep said that there was no guarantee that there would be PCAR's in the UC section, but I was free to choose anything from the UC 5* area if I preferred.

This was in mid-Nov at FLL and the stuff in the UC section wasn't anything as nice as the Impala they assigned me (which should tell you something). When I returned the vehicle a few days later I asked the rep in the UC area about the lack of anything nice in the UC 5* section and they basically told me that the vehicles in 5* tended to be newer models with lower mileage, even if it wasn't apparent by browsing the selection there. That's what I was told FWIW.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 6:55 am

Heard back from Hertz senior management - as we suspected, Twitter team was wrong.

Here's how it works:

Compact or subcompact (regardless of status): choose from the Compact area.

Midsize to fullsize:
*PCs can choose anything from the PC, 5*, Compact, or Midsize areas. Or pay for an upgrade from the Premium Upgrade or Ultimate Series areas.
*5 Stars can choose anything from the 5*, Compact, or Midsize areas. Or pay for an upgrade from the Premium Upgrade or Ultimate Series areas.

Above fullsize, or specialty (SUV, Minivan, etc.): car will be assigned and in a marked space. (Didn't ask whether you can choose something else from the PC area, but I presume you could, i.e. book an SUV, get assigned one, choose an Impala from the PC area instead).

So, basically, almost exactly like National's Emerald Aisle/Executive Selection.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Not directly related to the topic at hand, but interesting nonetheless:

Ultimate Choice Rep (O'Hare)

I especially liked this part:

Don't apply unless you are well versed in sitting and standing!
I believe they put that in for ADA reasons - if the ability to hear and see are listed upfront as essential to the job, they protect themselves (to a degree) from (for example) a deaf person claiming discrimination.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Above fullsize, or specialty (SUV, Minivan, etc.): car will be assigned and in a marked space. (Didn't ask whether you can choose something else from the PC area, but I presume you could, i.e. book an SUV, get assigned one, choose an Impala from the PC area instead).
Thanks for getting clarification on this. I did confirm with the Hertz rep in the UC area in FLL that if you book a premium or specialty vehicle and are assigned a specific space that you still have the option of choosing from the UC area that corresponds to your status level (or below).
Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
B hasn't qualified for an upgrade for a long time.
The PC terms on hertz.co.uk still say this:

Maximum upgrade is to a Full-size car with a minimum reserved Compact vehicle. For Compact 4-Door rentals, maximum upgrade will be to a Full-Size 4-Door car. Guaranteed upgrade is to the next car class only.
So apparently B would, but A wouldn't (which I didn't know). And of course B doesn't get you Gold Choice, but in theory, if I wanted to drive a Corolla I should book a B.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
The PC terms on hertz.co.uk still say this:

So apparently B would, but A wouldn't (which I didn't know). And of course B doesn't get you Gold Choice, but in theory, if I wanted to drive a Corolla I should book a B.
You're absolutely right. For some reason, I had conflated Gold Choice and the upgrade requirement. Thanks for the correction.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 12:53 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
The one thing I like about Ultimate Choice, they don't authorize your credit card ahead of time, as is done when assigning a car now (Carfirmation). Great if you forget to cancel a reservation...
Old Jan 1, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Does this mean that, if you book an F, they still put you in a Corolla?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
Does this mean that, if you book an F, they still put you in a Corolla?
If there are only midsizes on the PC aisle, if you've booked a fullsize, you can still go to the fullsize row and choose from there.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Silvercar was $150 more for the week. Plus I had $200 in certificates from an incident at an HLE in Chicago where the Hertz garage attendant (an ex-con) told me to "get the hell out of the car" and went on a tirade against me because he thought I was ignoring him. I did record it (as did other customers) and I believe he was fired, but that sort of sums up my year with Hertz. Actually years. I'm tired of complaining because I have no doubts that they flag my account but this "Ultimate Choice" is probably it for me.

My last few years with Hertz? No upgrades, cars have more mileage, getting threatened to be charged with felony auto theft on Christmas Eve 2015 because PHX station didn't properly return vehicle in system and I had gone to Tobago and kept my phone off, being forced to pay an upgrade fee to get an SUV when I had reserved a full-size and all they had were intermediate at the MSN station, having a garage attendant go off on me because he apparently thought he was still in prison and I wasn't respecting him properly, to the point others were scared and started recording (all because I didn't hear him behind metell me where to park and I parked 15 feet away) and I actually could go on.

I'm not a difficult customer/person at all. I've lodged zero complaints against Delta and Marriott in that same time frame and spent much more time on flights and hotels than cars. Hertz just can't do it right and calling old cars that are broken down and not properly showing the price of upgrades and calling this an "Ultimate Choice" is a joke. With my down time on vacation, I applied for Emerald Club. Let's see how that goes in 2017.

I should have taken one of the E 63 sedans for (what I found out later) was the $25/day upgrade fee. I'm taking delivery of a fairly base model 2017 GLC 300 4Matic when I return and it would be nice to see what a really fancy Mercedes is like. OTOH, this Elantra will make me appreciate my new vehicle even more
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by bergamini
With my down time on vacation, I applied for Emerald Club. Let's see how that goes in 2017.
Emerald Aisle is nice, in my experience National's cars are better than Hertz, especially when your comparison is a 25k mile Elantra. When you reach executive status, the cars are even better. The exception are franchised locations (like CMH, which is owned by a Chevrolet dealership.)
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by bergamini
Submitted my National status match request!
one you try National, you never look back. its the rare times when the grass is ACTUAL greener...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.