Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Questions regarding specific locations (eg, "I am Renting From XXX; What Might I Get?") may be moved to specific/dedicated threads for that location. All major airport codes may be searched using FlyerTalk's search engine; otherwise, words in " " quotation marks will bypass the character limit filter.

Overview of Service and List of Existing and Future Airport Locations: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Am I Eligible? Is My Vehicle Eligible?

Q. Who can use Ultimate Choice?
Any member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is eligible to use Ultimate Choice. The areas you can select from depend on your status in the program (President's Circle, Five Star, or Gold).

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a lower class such as Economy or Compact or Manager's Special?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class (or higher, as a complimentary upgrade) in a marked space.

Q. What happens if I book a Economy or Compact but pick a higher-class car from Ultimate Choice?
A. You will likely be asked to pay the midsize rental rate by the gate agent.

Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate.

Q. What if I book a Adrenaline/Electric/Hybrid/Luxury/Prestige car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

Print Wikipost

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:10 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by m907
Does anyone know if you can use Ultimate Choice on a one-way rental? I don't see anything in their terms about it.
No problem at all. Works for any rental.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Hertz Ultimate Choice officially starts on Wednesday, April 5, 2017 @ LAX but I was told it may be in use as soon as April 1 or 2.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:15 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

Recently rented @ SFO and they had this. Lots of cars available, but sadly choices limited - mainly Toyota's, Hyundais and Chevy's.

Picked a Chevy Malibu 2017 model and for me it was the better than the rest of the "boring" models. I liked it as there was lots of gadgets and good fuel efficiency. I did pop into the office to ask Hybrids were included, but it seems those will need $$ top up - even for the Prius C+

@ PDX - limited choices - though they had 1 VW Jetta thrown in. In the end I just went for the Sonata for the XM radio.

I quite like this choosing your own car from the lot, just wish they will put better cars.

Cheers!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National EE, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Anyone know the start date for JFK?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Would be first time I'm traveling to an operating Ultimate Choice location and want to make sure I get put into the proper PC section to choose.
I actually wondered the same thing and thought it odd that they use different terminology.
But yes, as sanctified50 posted, you need to reserve at least intermediate size.

Apparently, Hertz uses "Intermediate" and "Mid-Size" interchangeably.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
No problem at all. Works for any rental.
I'm a Five Star member, had a one way rental at a UC location, booked an intermediate, and was assigned to the intermediate zone rather than UC. I didn't have time to get it reassigned, but I'm assuming it's because it was one way.

UC is great and Gold is the best rental car rewards system, but I've had only a couple trouble-free rentals with Hertz. There's always some sort of problem.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
...but I'm assuming it's because it was one way.
As others have posted in this thread, one-way is fine, and you should be able to select Ultimate Choice even if it's a one-way rental. I do this all the time with no issue. In fact, ALL of my last 10+ Hertz rentals have been one-ways (half of which are at an Ultimate Choice location.)

I'm a Five Star member, had a one way rental at a UC location, booked an intermediate, and was assigned to the intermediate zone rather than UC.
Wait, which zone were you expecting to pick from, exactly? As a Five Star /Gold member, you should be able to pick from its corresponding Ultimate Choice section/zone, OR from any intermediate or lower car.
You won't have access to President's Circle selection of course.

From Hertz:
"President's CircleŽ / Five Star / Gold Members
You have access to a select group of cars with enhanced features located in the lot that corresponds with your Hertz Gold Member Status.
"

Last edited by narvik; Mar 24, 2017 at 7:09 pm
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sanctified50
Intermediate
Originally Posted by narvik
I actually wondered the same thing and thought it odd that they use different terminology.
But yes, as sanctified50 posted, you need to reserve at least intermediate size.

Apparently, Hertz uses "Intermediate" and "Mid-Size" interchangeably.
Thanks for the quick replies! That seems pretty fair booking an intermediate car which almost always get a Hyundai of some type or Corolla it seems. If that lands you in the PC aisle and choose your 'ultimate choice'... based on reviews here could be looking at Volvo or Infiniti for a Corolla price point.

Will report back if this business trip goes through.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:18 pm

As others have posted in this thread, one-way is fine, and you should be able to select Ultimate Choice even if it's a one-way rental. I do this all the time with no issue. In fact, ALL of my last 10+ Hertz rentals have been one-ways (half of which are at an Ultimate Choice location.)

Wait, which zone were you expecting to pick from, exactly? As a Five Star /Gold member, you should be able to pick from its corresponding Ultimate Choice section/zone, OR from any intermediate or lower car.
You won't have access to President's Circle selection of course.

From Hertz:
"President's CircleŽ / Five Star / Gold Members
You have access to a select group of cars with enhanced features located in the lot that corresponds with your Hertz Gold Member Status.
"
I'm a Five Star member. I was assigned to Zone 2, which had 3-4 midsize cars, and not allowed to choose from the Five Star lot.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nat25
Anyone know the start date for JFK?
Does not appear JFK is even on the UC coming soon list. LGA is in the list for Q2 2017.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National EE, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by seawolf
Does not appear JFK is even on the UC coming soon list. LGA is in the list for Q2 2017.
Yeah i see that. Kinda weird.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:37 pm

Once more a question about how UC works (sry)

Hey everybody

The following question came up after some input i got on an inquiry I made in the fleet list thread:

As a regular gold member with a pre-paid, 5 week, one way (sea to pho, in july) luxury car reservation, I will get a car assigned, as I could glean from this thread.

To my understanding, I still should be able to get UC. Which lot might I choose from, if eligible? Regular gold rows (considering no status) seem a bit sad, for a luxury res... don't they?

Thanks in advance and Happy Easter
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:43 pm

You won't have access to President's Circle selection of course."
I was expecting to pick from the Five Star section. I was not allowed to.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I'm a Five Star member. I was assigned to Zone 2, which had 3-4 midsize cars, and not allowed to choose from the Five Star lot.
What explanation did they give for not letting you choose from the Five Star lot? Was your status in the reservation?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Apart from the price difference (which is a totally different issue), most people seem to like the chance to choose their car, which is why Hertz is rolling out Ultimate Choice; customers liked the National experience better. Why do you not want the option?
Because every time I've done it, I've paid more than what I was quoted, and the car I wanted was not available.

Even if I paid the same, I'd already picked out my car. I already made a choice. They never have my car ("or similar"). I made a reservation; they did not keep the reservation. Its the holding part of the reservation which is really the critical part. Anyone can take a reservation. They are punishing people who have demonstrated loyalty by not actually keeping the reservation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.