Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Questions regarding specific locations (eg, "I am Renting From XXX; What Might I Get?") may be moved to specific/dedicated threads for that location. All major airport codes may be searched using FlyerTalk's search engine; otherwise, words in " " quotation marks will bypass the character limit filter.

Overview of Service and List of Existing and Future Airport Locations: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Am I Eligible? Is My Vehicle Eligible?

Q. Who can use Ultimate Choice?
Any member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is eligible to use Ultimate Choice. The areas you can select from depend on your status in the program (President's Circle, Five Star, or Gold).

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a lower class such as Economy or Compact or Manager's Special?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class (or higher, as a complimentary upgrade) in a marked space.

Q. What happens if I book a Economy or Compact but pick a higher-class car from Ultimate Choice?
A. You will likely be asked to pay the midsize rental rate by the gate agent.

Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate.

Q. What if I book a Adrenaline/Electric/Hybrid/Luxury/Prestige car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

Print Wikipost

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by bergamini
Several posts in this thread reference the requirement to have a mid-size vehicle reserved to take advantage of the Ultimate Choice President's Circle benefit. I don't see that a mid-size vehicle class exists. There is Intermediate, Standard and Full-Size but no mid-size and that's even in the sticky in the Hertz forum. So I have an Intermediate reserved, does that count as mid-sized? I'm flying into FLL and while on business trips I really don't care about the car I get (which is good since Hertz cars have degraded for me over the past several years), but this is a long personal trip with drives between the Keys and I'd like the nicest car I can get. Should I change my reservation to full-size now?
Intermediate is the official term for midsized.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Several posts in this thread reference the requirement to have a mid-size vehicle reserved to take advantage of the Ultimate Choice President's Circle benefit. I don't see that a mid-size vehicle class exists. There is Intermediate, Standard and Full-Size but no mid-size and that's even in the sticky in the Hertz forum. So I have an Intermediate reserved, does that count as mid-sized? I'm flying into FLL and while on business trips I really don't care about the car I get (which is good since Hertz cars have degraded for me over the past several years), but this is a long personal trip with drives between the Keys and I'd like the nicest car I can get. Should I change my reservation to full-size now?
I agree the terminology is unclear and Hertz should not use the term "midsize" in their official documentation if they do not also call the corresponding car class by the same name, but as others have mentioned, "midsize" is the industry colloquial name for "intermediate" (which is what all the internal systems call the ICAR/group C class, which is is what you need to book).
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
So NeverLost navigation right? If it's a car that has a built-in nav that's not extra? Although every time I've had one with built-in nav they seem to have disabled it. And those kind of upgrades stopped a while ago.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:04 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Where are folks seeing the requirement that PC members reserve intermediate or higher to use UC? The language on the site just says you'll go to your designated elite area upon arrival. Thanks.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:55 am

I saw it in the pop up message I got during the reservation.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
I saw it in the pop up message I got during the reservation.
Thanks. That just refers to regular Gold members, though. I haven't seen anything that lists the same requirement for 5*/PC.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:42 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
I'll find out in a week or so.

PC member having booked a luxury car. I am trusting that I will still get a Chrysler 300.

Will not be a happy bunny if I don't.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Carl
Thanks. That just refers to regular Gold members, though. I haven't seen anything that lists the same requirement for 5*/PC.
If it doesn't say it's different for 5*/PC members, why would you say it is? From that information one can infer if you don't book the minimum size required, you are not going to get the benefit. Period. If you book smaller, you will (maybe) get your one car class upgrade. That's the only logical conclusion. Don't read a benefit into something when the posted rules are pretty clear.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 9:41 am

If it doesn't say it's different for 5*/PC members, why would you say it is? From that information one can infer if you don't book the minimum size required, you are not going to get the benefit. Period. If you book smaller, you will (maybe) get your one car class upgrade. That's the only logical conclusion. Don't read a benefit into something when the posted rules are pretty clear.
The page on the actual site doesn't say anything about a size requirement; it indicates that elite members simply go to their designated areas. I was just trying to determine if anyone had actually been to a location and been directed anywhere other than that area after reserving a smaller car. Thanks.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:16 am

In November I rented from a cheaper than midsize car category (Eco, Manager's Special, etc.) and was still directed to select a car from the President's Circle section based on my PC status.

Is it no longer necessary to rent at least a midsize vehicle to get access to increased vehicle choice? Was this just a mistake on the part of the staff?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:37 am

Yes. I booked the car with my app minutes before arriving to the lot (flight cancellation, drove instead). I received no message directing me to the PC aisle (there was no time for the system to catch up). Since I had booked B I did not go to the PC aisle directly but to the booth, where they saw I was PC and directed me to that aisle.

I wouldn't take that as a general policy.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:44 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
I did not have to choose and to be honest I am not sure how anyone wouldn't have a numbered bay as all bookings are chosen by model.
1. What status level are you, and
2. What car size did you reserve?

In theory:

PC members booking midsize-fullsize cars will be directed to the PC area.

Gold/5* members booking midsize-fullsize cars will be directed to the Gold/5* area.

Anyone booking compacts will be directed to the compact area. (Non Golds booking midsizes and fullsizes will be directed by the counter agent to the midsize or fullsize areas, respectively, but those of course won't show on the board.)

Anyone booking premium or higher (including vans and SUVs) will be given a specific stall.

(Unclear what happens if you book an economy. I'm guessing those people are directed to the compact area.)

That's the understanding we have here in this thread so far. If you can confirm your status and what you booked, though, it will help us refine how this works.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 7:13 am

I am PC and on my last rental I booked a "manager's special" - cheaper than compact / midsize - and was directed to the PC area.

The manager's special rate is frequently the best rate for the locations I visit so I'm hoping I'll be able to continue using this rate without losing access the PC area.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:09 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by mster
I am PC and on my last rental I booked a "manager's special" - cheaper than compact / midsize - and was directed to the PC area.

The manager's special rate is frequently the best rate for the locations I visit so I'm hoping I'll be able to continue using this rate without losing access the PC area.
Haha, good for you and thanks for the info! I have a feeling that since the "Manager's Special" (vehicle class EXAR) is in a gray area, they don't really have a defined procedure to handle it, and since you're PC anyway, they just kind of bump you up. Technically it is a Compact or up anyway, so given that you're PC you might as well get to choose anyway.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Dec 21, 2016 at 12:29 pm
Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Haha, good for you and thanks for the info! I have a feeling that since the "Manager's Special" (vehicle class XXAR) is in a gray area, they don't really have a defined procedure to handle it, and since you're PC anyway, they just kind of bump you up. Technically it is a Compact or up anyway, so given that you're PC you might as well get to choose anyway.
Is it compact or midsize as the minimum? I had thought midsize or above...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.