Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Questions regarding specific locations (eg, "I am Renting From XXX; What Might I Get?") may be moved to specific/dedicated threads for that location. All major airport codes may be searched using FlyerTalk's search engine; otherwise, words in " " quotation marks will bypass the character limit filter.

Overview of Service and List of Existing and Future Airport Locations: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Am I Eligible? Is My Vehicle Eligible?

Q. Who can use Ultimate Choice?
Any member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is eligible to use Ultimate Choice. The areas you can select from depend on your status in the program (President's Circle, Five Star, or Gold).

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a lower class such as Economy or Compact or Manager's Special?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class (or higher, as a complimentary upgrade) in a marked space.

Q. What happens if I book a Economy or Compact but pick a higher-class car from Ultimate Choice?
A. You will likely be asked to pay the midsize rental rate by the gate agent.

Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate.

Q. What if I book a Adrenaline/Electric/Hybrid/Luxury/Prestige car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

Print Wikipost

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:24 pm

How long can you hang out at PC to pick a car until your reservation gets messed up, auto-canceled, charged a late fee, etc.?

Say you are renting purely for the purpose of enjoying the driving (no business, no specific tasks/time constraints), and you also happen to be a cheapskate who wants to save money by booking a PC res instead of a guaranteed sports car or something. Could you theoretically wait in the PC lot for 4 hours just checking out all the cars that come in until i.e. a base Mustang rolls in or something? Anyone done this before?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Anyone rented a Compact as a PC? I'd probably take whatever is there for Gold members in the midsize area for a planned rental (short trips but Uber not an option), but if my only choices were a Fiesta or a Spark, that wouldn't be enough... Difference between compact and midsize is bigger than usual.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:59 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by glostix
How long can you hang out at PC to pick a car until your reservation gets messed up, auto-canceled, charged a late fee, etc.?

Say you are renting purely for the purpose of enjoying the driving (no business, no specific tasks/time constraints), and you also happen to be a cheapskate who wants to save money by booking a PC res instead of a guaranteed sports car or something. Could you theoretically wait in the PC lot for 4 hours just checking out all the cars that come in until i.e. a base Mustang rolls in or something? Anyone done this before?
Yes, you could theoretically wait 4 hours in the lot waiting to snag the perfect vehicle without a problem. Your reservation will not get cancelled. Then again, buying coffee and a donut for one of the lot attendants talking aloud about what type of vehicle you wished was in the PC section while handing it to him/her might be a more efficient use of your time.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:08 am

I would like to know if I rent a car of the Prestige category and I am assigned one and I have it reserved, when I arrive, if I don't like it, I can access the PC without cost, or be a collection car. Can't I access it?
I say this because in the last time I reserved one and when I wanted to change it they didn't let me access PC
Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: Eurobonus Gold [*AG], Finnair Gold [OWS] HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
Is a PCAR; Premium (G, PCAR/PDAR) booking eligible for UC? I assume yes, but I'm get a bit uncertain since the PCAR is significantly lower priced than the SCAR; Standard (D, SCAR) that are the minimum UC eligible car, for an upcoming reservation.

After I booked a 7 Passenger Standard SUV (L4, FRAR) a couple of rentals ago just to be sure to specifically get a 7 seater SUV and was assigned to the UC PC lot where no L4, FRAR or bigger where available at the moment I've decided from there to only book D, SCAR onward. So much for the book what you need hypothesis.

EK
strickerj and Evr13 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Evr13
I would like to know if I rent a car of the Prestige category and I am assigned one and I have it reserved, when I arrive, if I don't like it, I can access the PC without cost, or be a collection car. Can't I access it?
I say this because in the last time I reserved one and when I wanted to change it they didn't let me access PC
I don't understand how you were turned down assuming you still were showing valid PC status.

I might be testing this soon. I have a Prestige SUV reserved but if I find something I like better in PC lot,.I'm taking it. I'm certain I won't have a problem at this location as I've already taken PC lot over assigned intermediate trucks.
Evr13 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by GOTBound
Is a PCAR; Premium (G, PCAR/PDAR) booking eligible for UC? I assume yes, but I'm get a bit uncertain since the PCAR is significantly lower priced than the SCAR; Standard (D, SCAR) that are the minimum UC eligible car, for an upcoming reservation.

After I booked a 7 Passenger Standard SUV (L4, FRAR) a couple of rentals ago just to be sure to specifically get a 7 seater SUV and was assigned to the UC PC lot where no L4, FRAR or bigger where available at the moment I've decided from there to only book D, SCAR onward. So much for the book what you need hypothesis.

EK
You can go to the UC section with a Premium reservation. Notice, however, that the minimum category to access is not Standard but Intermediate/Mid-Size (one lower).
GOTBound likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:59 am

It was at the Miami airport. They told me I had it reserved and that I couldn't change it. The other time I booked this category I was assigned a gl450, so I had no problem. One question, if I don't like the reserved car I have to communicate it or go directly to the PC and take what I like, by the way this time it will be at the Boston airport
Old Feb 22, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Evr13
It was at the Miami airport. They told me I had it reserved and that I couldn't change it. The other time I booked this category I was assigned a gl450, so I had no problem. One question, if I don't like the reserved car I have to communicate it or go directly to the PC and take what I like, by the way this time it will be at the Boston airport
My experience is at LAS only. For the assigned pick up trucks,.I just went to the PC section.and drove to.the exit booth.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:58 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier, HHonors Gold
I'm Hertz 5-star and I'm looking to rent an SUV at MIA.
Is there any benefit if I reserve either a Standard Elite Crossover or Standard Elite SUV?
Because both categories are the "Prestige Collection", does that mean whatever I end up with will be nicer than what's available in the 5-star section?
Or do I have access to different cars since it's the Prestige Collection?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by neos
I'm Hertz 5-star and I'm looking to rent an SUV at MIA.
Is there any benefit if I reserve either a Standard Elite Crossover or Standard Elite SUV?
Because both categories are the "Prestige Collection", does that mean whatever I end up with will be nicer than what's available in the 5-star section?
Or do I have access to different cars since it's the Prestige Collection?
Due to my experience in November of last year, I had the category Z4 (standard elite crossover), the most likely thing is that I will touch the infiniti QX60. They did not give me more options, for me personally it is a car that I do not see very prestige but it is only my opinion
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: SIXT Platinum Card, E. E. Emerald Club, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle
Hi Everyone, my first post here.

Recently I've matched my status at National to Hertz, and got President's Circle... but I never rented with Hertz...
I'm going to MCO on october and I'd like to use the benefits os Ultimate Choice and choose my own car on President's Circle, BUT... Reading a lot on several forums I found out that for the first rental I'll have to go through the counter and not have the privileges of the President's Circle. Has anyone ever been through that? Can you help me? What should I do?

Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by luizhalmeida
Recently I've matched my status at National to Hertz, and got President's Circle... but I never rented with Hertz...
I'm going to MCO on october and I'd like to use the benefits os Ultimate Choice and choose my own car on President's Circle, BUT... Reading a lot on several forums I found out that for the first rental I'll have to go through the counter and not have the privileges of the President's Circle. Has anyone ever been through that? Can you help me? What should I do?
A friend of mine went through this a few months ago. He filled out his whole profile online and got the confirmation that he would need to go to the Gold desk when he got to MCO to verify his info. However upon arriving in MCO his name was on the electronic board telling him to go directly to his aisle

He did not go to the desk. Got in a car he liked. Went to the exit booth, gave his license and CC on his profile and he was out within 30 seconds

imo, fill out as much info as you can on your Hertz profile online
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: SIXT Platinum Card, E. E. Emerald Club, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle
Unhappy

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
A friend of mine went through this a few months ago. He filled out his whole profile online and got the confirmation that he would need to go to the Gold desk when he got to MCO to verify his info. However upon arriving in MCO his name was on the electronic board telling him to go directly to his aisle

He did not go to the desk. Got in a car he liked. Went to the exit booth, gave his license and CC on his profile and he was out within 30 seconds

imo, fill out as much info as you can on your Hertz profile online
Today I called Hertz support on Brazil (1-800) and we talked for almost 1 hour about all my reservations, but in the call he did not know to explain how it would work.
In my reservation says: "Service Type: Standard Counter". Nothing about "Gold desk".

Last edited by luizhalmeida; Mar 4, 2020 at 2:21 pm
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by luizhalmeida
Today I called Hertz support on Brazil (1-800) and we talked for almost 1 hour about all my reservations, but in the call he did not know to explain how it would work.
In my reservation says: "Service Type: Standard Counter". Nothing about "Gold desk".
do you have your profile set up with Hertz online, and if you do do you have a valid credit card on file. I know the credit card is very important for the ultimate choice service.

By the way the morning selection in Newark, A few weeks back was fantastic. I had a choice of a BMW Mini nice brand new sport utilities in which I like. I chose an escape titanium with 12 miles on it. The BMW have 24,000 miles so I figured I’d go for the new car :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.