Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Weekender Special

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by chemist661
Bottom line: Bring your printouts with you from the original e-mail. Do not pull them from the Hertz site as you will get that dreaded message.
Better yet, print out the confirmation page from Hertz.com. I PDF it so I can access exactly what I saw at a later point, should it be necessary.

Originally Posted by CrazyOne
What's the point of telling people to modify their reservations when they appear to have disabled that web site function in order to make the alert so prominent?
Who/what/where is it saying people should modify their reservations?

-J.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 6:26 am

Programs: National Exec, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
Better yet, print out the confirmation page from Hertz.com. I PDF it so I can access exactly what I saw at a later point, should it be necessary.

-J.
Promotional Coupon - The rate requested cannot be combined with a coupon. Please modify your rate request or remove the promotion. [DE145]

That's the error message that's getting thrown if I try to view an FRDM/XCT1 reservation.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
I usually print that but haven't been recently. Luckily, the emails say the same thing.

The web site. Multiple people have reported it. Maybe you didn't notice the message when you reported that you couldn't modify/cancel your reservations, but it shows up in red text on Hertz.com when you try to modify: "Promotional Coupon - The rate requested cannot be combined with a coupon. Please modify your rate request or remove the promotion. [DE145]" But as I noted: 1) you can't actually modify or cancel anything and 2) one of my two reservations does not have a coupon on it, yet it gives me the same message. It gives me that message when I try to view that reservation even from a different computer where I've never logged in. So they're flagging everything with those RQs.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Just a thought.

Let's not beat the drum much louder on this. My HLE rep has made fone calls alerting her contact that this is just too much of a discount that zaps ZE's bottom line.

Having said that, she believes that's the reason I am unable to get the right combination for my weekend rental discount I have grown so fond of. I asked her if we are still friends, and she said "yes".

I think, however, it's because I didn't do a full "advance reservation required" booking (I had to book same day). Also, I notice the HLE locations seem to be left out now (open to correction on this).

See updated post regarding change to favor airport rentals

Last edited by jan_believes; Oct 16, 2012 at 11:06 am
Old Oct 12, 2012, 2:16 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by jan_believes
Let's not beat the drum much louder on this. My HLE rep has made fone calls alerting her contact that this is just too much of a discount that zaps ZE's bottom line.
Amen. Pigs get slaughtered.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by CrazyOne
The web site. Multiple people have reported it. Maybe you didn't notice the message when you reported that you couldn't modify/cancel your reservations, but it shows up in red text on Hertz.com when you try to modify: "Promotional Coupon - The rate requested cannot be combined with a coupon. Please modify your rate request or remove the promotion. [DE145]" But as I noted: 1) you can't actually modify or cancel anything and 2) one of my two reservations does not have a coupon on it, yet it gives me the same message. It gives me that message when I try to view that reservation even from a different computer where I've never logged in. So they're flagging everything with those RQs.
I never got that error. What I've been seeing is "This reservation cannot be modified/canceled (pick one) online. Please Contact Us." (or something along those lines) -- it comes up as a popup within the page.

EDIT: Oh I see... I wanted to cancel my 2.5-hour reservation in Memphis in two weeks since I'll just stay at the airport instead of going out, but I'm getting the DE145 error for it. Not gonna even try to look at my ROC reservation (which I do need). Guess I'll call in or ask the Twitter folks to cancel my Memphis one.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Oct 12, 2012 at 8:49 pm
Old Oct 12, 2012, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a thought.

Having said that, she believes that's the reason I am unable to get the right combination for my weekend rental discount I have grown so fond of. I asked her if we are still friends, and she said "yes".

I think, however, it's because I didn't do a full "advance reservation required" booking (I had to book same day). Also, I notice the HLE locations seem to be left out now (open to correction on this).
I posted in another thread (here) that Hertz made $10 million less than their projected earnings according to one of my HLE agents, and the CEO is going ape-..... I think this is going to be just the beginning of a lot of cost-cutting measures on their part, and cost-increasing measures for the consumer.

-J.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:26 pm

Just a thought.

But did your HLP rep still honor the discounted price of the rental upon return?

A datapoint for all of you: The other HLE rep didn't see the discounts anymore even if the PC showed the discount when I picked up the car on Thursday. I guess the system just didn't accept this coupon anymore. I guess I might have to complain to Hertz every single time when I run into problems again because HLE rept said he could do it this time, but probably not next time.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Oct 13, 2012 at 1:22 pm
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation RQ+PC Combo No Longer Works

Bad news everyone -- when I went to return my car the guy said he couldn't apply the PC to my reservation. He was trying but the computer wouldn't let him do it

He did put in a $15 deduction as a taxi reimbursement (although I wasn't taking a taxi) as that was most he could apply for that, which I thought was very nice of him.

I guess it was too good to be true I only ended up paying $4 more than I was quoted with the PC in the end, but other locations may not be so lenient (i.e., the taxi reimbursement workaround).

-J.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:39 am

I posted in another thread (here) that Hertz made $10 million less than their projected earnings according to one of my HLE agents, and the CEO is going ape-..... I think this is going to be just the beginning of a lot of cost-cutting measures on their part, and cost-increasing measures for the consumer.

-J.
Well da they can't make a fortune on this promo let alone make a profit. (Mileage, Clean up..... These promos are made for getting people to try hertz and then stay loyal!

Its a promo stint and i think everyone knew that at sometime this was going to happen. in the future don't talk too much to the reps about this! they enjoy high prices since they receive a bonus!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:40 am

Bad news everyone -- when I went to return my car the guy said he couldn't apply the PC to my reservation. He was trying but the computer wouldn't let him do it

He did put in a $15 deduction as a taxi reimbursement (although I wasn't taking a taxi) as that was most he could apply for that, which I thought was very nice of him.

I guess it was too good to be true I only ended up paying $4 more than I was quoted with the PC in the end, but other locations may not be so lenient (i.e., the taxi reimbursement workaround).

-J.
Good for you!!!!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Can't get this in New York City, what have others done to bring down the cost of weekend rentals in the Big Apple?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fyaric
Good for you!!!!
I just got lucky with having a great staff there -- I bring them bagels and stuff sometimes since it's on my meal plan so basically free to me, and they have always treated me well.

Originally Posted by oldgoldflyer
Can't get this in New York City, what have others done to bring down the cost of weekend rentals in the Big Apple?
Rent from outside of NYC or just take public transit. In the price challenge thread, myself and someone else scoured the entire NYC area to help find someone a cheap rental car for a few days, and IIRC the best rate we found was at an HLE somewhere in Connecticut (I think Norwalk).

-J.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by oldgoldflyer
I've posted in the NYC forum about car-rental deals in and around NYC. You can get a compact from Friday to Monday with 300 free miles from the Enterprise location on Northern Boulevard in Roslyn for $29.97 + tax for the whole three days.

If you just need a car for 24 hours, there's the Hertz Manhattan-EWR one-way special, using RQ "MOVEIT", for $19.99 + tax. (Following the suggestion posted upthread, I was able to apply the $10-off coupon to that rate when I rented last month; not sure if you can still get the coupon to work.)

I've also used the Avis location in New Hyde Park (location code AB8) for decent weekend and weekly rates.

You can get to the Roslyn Enterprise and Avis New Hyde Park locations from NYC for as little as $2.25, but the trip can take a while. But both locations will pick up from nearby LIRR stations with pre-arrangement.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: US Gold, Hertz Five Star
What should I do?

-J.
I guess it was bound to happen. Enjoyed it last weekend in Puerto Rico, and I have a reservation for this upcoming weekend and I'm debating whether to call and cancel (since I can't cancel online because I get that message that won't let me touch my reservation containing an RQ and a PC) and to rebook with just the PC as it is still cheaper than just the RQ by itself.

I'm not renting from an HLE, but from the airport. When I go to my "upcoming reservations" in my gold profile it shows the rental pickup date, with a blank drop off date so it doesn't help the possibility that they will honor it.

//

Here are my scenarios for the 4 day rental (FRIDAY-MONDAY):

Reservation Honored as "guaranteed" (RQ+PC): $36.34
PC not accepted at return (just RQ) : $79.81
Reservation Amended to remove RQ (just PC): $58.86

I'd obviously rather pay $58.86 than $79.81 but I don't know if it is worth the gamble to see if they will honor the confirmed reservation and save $20.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.